Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Milk Bottle Building

1. Default Re: Milk Bottle Building

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    perfect location for a braums walkup
    Small ice cream shop.

Default Re: Milk Bottle Building

Used to get beer there in the 70s. If I could get ice cream now that would be two of my favorite thing in one building. 40 something years apart.

Actually a to go ice cream shop would be cool as hell and sell milk while they’re at it. Whole milk from braums is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Actually a to go ice cream shop would be cool as hell and sell milk while they’re at it. Whole milk from braums is my favorite.
    You should try Promised Land whole milk.

Not sure if this bldg could work for retail - I don't think there's enough parking for walk-up customers or street available for drive-through without backing up onto Classen, not to mention space for inventory inside.

Didn’t it already operate as a store previously? How did they make it work then?

6. Default Re: Milk Bottle Building

i dont think it did well previously because it relied on vehicular traffic - which is wholly unreliable when you have many other options for ice cream than going to a small walkup.

my idea is a break from that OKC tradition - where I'd purposefully want the store to be a real walk-up only. I want to capitalize on the area being a walkable neighborhood/destination. Most chinatown areas worldwide are walkable and if the storefronts exist people would walk up/down and shop/eat, Look at what's nearby - Oklahoma City University, Asian District, Uptown, Paseo, and of course the Gold Dome.

I want to capitalize on that, and also the small size of the building. It's also right across from the new Asian District park so folks going there could get ice cream treats then enjoy in the park. Hopefully that momentum could be enhanced more storefronts and 'captive' residents in the form of more apartments.

Another thought, most universities have a walking retail street/district whereas Oklahoma City University doesn't really have that (although one might argue Plaza District but it's a bit far and the OCU part of Uptown is hardly walkable). My idea would make the Asian District (and Uptown) more walkable with the Milk Bottle capitalizing on that but sort of leading the way. We'd still have vehicular traffic but they'd PARK then walk. I think it oculd work with vision, leadership, and capital.

Not a better time to try this idea than now at the conclusion of a worldwide pandemic. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Honestly the City just needs to vacate that tiny 1/4 block N-S stretch of Military Avenue and sell that to the property owner. It would slow down traffic around Military Park at the same time.

The milk bottle building could have an incredible wrap around canopy on the SW and E facades, creating shade really similar to McNellie's in Midtown. Even better would be to (also..?) work in a deal with the owner of the land CVS sits on for some of the ridiculously wide easement on the west edge of THAT property, which would probably then allow for what looks from satellite view to be maybe a dozen angled parking spaces on that side of the (again ridiculously tiny) stretch of Military. Vastly improved pedestrianization of the area, plus the building would be commercially viable TOMORROW.

Yeah I’ve thought this as well. Shutting down that little section of the road wouldn’t disrupt much and add tons of value to the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Honestly the City just needs to vacate that tiny 1/4 block N-S stretch of Military Avenue and sell that to the property owner. It would slow down traffic around Military Park at the same time.

The milk bottle building could have an incredible wrap around canopy on the SW and E facades, creating shade really similar to McNellie's in Midtown. Even better would be to (also..?) work in a deal with the owner of the land CVS sits on for some of the ridiculously wide easement on the west edge of THAT property, which would probably then allow for what looks from satellite view to be maybe a dozen angled parking spaces on that side of the (again ridiculously tiny) stretch of Military. Vastly improved pedestrianization of the area, plus the building would be commercially viable TOMORROW.

Yes!!!

11. Default Re: Milk Bottle Building

You're awesome!

How can we get momentum on this? I think your redevelopment idea could be the catalyst toward the Asian District becoming a pedestrian gem. Anybody here know the chairman of the Asian District association, Uptown, Paseo, the OKC Mayor, city ward councilperson?

This would truly ADD to Oklahoma City, having a walkable chinatown area. Imagine even just starting with school children taking day trips to the district, get ice cream treats and enjoy the park then walk the district enjoying food and shopping. ... then bring on the captive Oklahoma City University students and the neighbors. ... wow!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information