Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Milk Bottle Building

1. Default Re: Milk Bottle Building

Isn't the same logo they've had since the 40's? LOL, they dont exactlly update their marketing, you know....ever.

Default Re: Milk Bottle Building

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Yes, that is likely correct. I was actually going to lease that advertising space a couple years ago, because Braums was not going to renew it, but after they learned there was other interest, they renewed it last second.

Why is it out of place? It's a milk bottle statue on a famous old milk building? it's more appropriate than 99.9% of the other businesses that could/would advertise on it. It's the only local milk provider in the metro, other than small farms who most likely couldn't afford it.

As others stated, it's been closed about a year or so unfortunately.
    Maybe because after seeing the Townley's logo up there for so many years, and that it actually fit the period arcitecture. To me, the Braums logo just doesn't look right in that apication. 99.9% percent of other business probably aren't dairies so that's a given.

Quote Originally Posted by edcrunk View Post
    It would be awesome if Braum's designed a 40s style retro looking logo to put up.
    My thoughts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by edcrunk View Post
    It would be awesome if Braum's designed a 40s style retro looking logo to put up.
    Some might say they've already met you half-way on that notion.

Thanks to Spartan for these:

I drove by today and saw signs for Prairie Gothic in the window this morning. I guess I missed this article earlier this year. It's an interesting choice, hopefully it does well.

Guthrie boutique to breathe new life into local landmark | News OK

The Cliffords have had a lot of success in Guthrie, not just in business but in hosting community events. I'm excited to see their take on OKC.

I wish them luck, but that seems like an odd choice of location for the retailer, and an odd choice of tenant for the landlord. Shops like that tend to do better with a mass of similar boutique shopping. It would likely do very well in the Plaza, or even AA. The Milk Bottle Building is quite literally an island, and should be occupied by tenant that is capable of drawing in single destination customers.

Brianna's update.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/546...o_redirect=yes

After less than a year, the boutique Prairie Gothic has closed its doors at Oklahoma City's historic milk bottle grocery building.

Building owner Elise Kilpatrick confirmed the Prairie Gothic moved out earlier this month after opening the shop in May.

The roughly 300-square-foot triangular building won't be vacant for long, however.

It was only empty for about a week before Kilpatrick was able to find a new tenant. This time, the historic grocery store building will be used as office space for a local landscape architect.

Yeah, I went by there a couple of days ago and all the signs were down but I couldn't confirm they had closed.

Just such an impractical little building. At least it was renovated.

^^^^^^
    A relic of the old streetcar system. I've tried to picture the way the streets and tracks worked around it, but haven't been able to figure it out. I'm sure it made a lot of sense then.

The important thing now is that it is an important landmark. Hopefully it finds a great, stabilizing use soon to protect its future. It's tough, owing to the limited parking and walk ability around it. I've thought that maybe a coffee shop would make the most sense. High visibility, some small interior space with character, and drive-up friendly. Restrooms would be a consideration though. Not sure what the situation is there.

Brianna's article said it will soon be home to a landscape architect office, which is probably a good thing.

Reminds me of the Market C / Dutch gas station renovation next to Cheevers that is now home to Garner Architects.

13. Default Re: Milk Bottle Building

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^
    A relic of the old streetcar system. I've tried to picture the way the streets and tracks worked around it, but haven't been able to figure it out.
    The track (it was a single-track line, as were almost all of them except for Main Street) ran up the middle of the median. From main street, it turned north at Olie (now Classen Blvd; name was changed in 1957). The grade difference between 6th and 10th did not exist then; tracks were in the middle of the street, and continued thus until reaching the Belle Isle loop. Trackage on Main continued west to Western, where one line went south to Packingtown. Can't remember the exact routing of the Linwood line to get to the start of Linwood Blvd; could have been up Olie to 6th but might have been north on Western -- and that's one I rode often during the very late 30s!

As for the streets, they're pretty much unchanged today.

The landscape architect moving in here will be Brent Wall.

Brent was formerly with the Parks Dept. and is now out on his own. He's working close with Hargreaves on the MAPS 3 Central Park and will serve as their local contact.

As I said in another thread, this is a bit like the old Market C / Dutch floral building next to Cheevers that Keith Paul bought an renovated. Just couldn't support a retail tenant and the building is now home to Gardner Architects.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Brent was formerly with the Parks Dept. and is now out on his own. He's working close with Hargreaves on the MAPS 3 Central Park and will serve as their local contact.

As I said in another thread, this is a bit like the old Market C / Dutch floral building next to Cheevers that Keith Paul bought an renovated. Just couldn't support a retail tenant and the building is now home to Gardner Architects.
    I really miss Market C.

Oh, I've met with Brent a couple of times. Seems like a good guy. Didn't know that he had left Parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ...I've thought that maybe a coffee shop would make the most sense. High visibility, some small interior space with character, and drive-up friendly. Restrooms would be a consideration though. Not sure what the situation is there.
    That would be a *perfect* use for it - make it like one of the thousands of coffee shacks that are all over the Seattle area (and similar to Leaf & Bean on 36th/May), we loved those when we lived up there, incredibly convenient! Not sure if it would work there, though, haven't really looked at what would happen if there was more than 1 car in line...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    That would be a *perfect* use for it - make it like one of the thousands of coffee shacks that are all over the Seattle area (and similar to Leaf & Bean on 36th/May), we loved those when we lived up there, incredibly convenient! Not sure if it would work there, though, haven't really looked at what would happen if there was more than 1 car in line...
    the shacks, being temporary, don't require ADA or a toilet. Unlike a brick and mortar operation.

Is there. Toilet? I don't remember there being a restroom when it was Saigon baguette. I think the lady that ran it closed shop and used the former Cao Nyguen facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    the shacks, being temporary, don't require ADA or a toilet. Unlike a brick and mortar operation.

Is there. Toilet? I don't remember there being a restroom when it was Saigon baguette. I think the lady that ran it closed shop and used the former Cao Nyguen facility.
    Not sure how the ones in WA operate, but there are quite a few that aren't temporary (they're not on wheels, can't be moved, etc.), but don't have restrooms, just barely enough room for a barista, supplies, and an espresso machine.

To answer the question about the bathroom situation here--it was redone recently and is fully operational. It's small but super cute. Certainly not-ADA approved though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    This idea for a coffee stand makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

We've moved in, and the open house for our official opening is September 27th!

This building has received a refresh per KFOR article: https://kfor.com/digital-first/iconi...-a-fresh-look/

24. Default Re: Milk Bottle Building

perfect location for a braums walkup
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

BTW, I noticed some window signage on this building that says "Peacock Design". I thought it was pretty good graphic design as well.

Thread Information