Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MTV Vidio Music Awards

Default MTV Vidio Music Awards

Is it me or does it seem strange that MTV has it's annual VMA but they don't show video's anymore. I haven't watched MTV in years but the last I saw of it there wasn't very many videos.

Default Re: MTV Vidio Music Awards

I watched the opening last night and had no idea who any of those people were. MTV is just a sad memory, I'm afraid. I don't think any of the artists who helped launch the channel would be caught dead associating with MTV these days.

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    I watched the opening last night and had no idea who any of those people were. MTV is just a sad memory, I'm afraid. I don't think any of the artists who helped launch the channel would be caught dead associating with MTV these days.
    Oh . . . I dunno . . .
    Tom Petty might show up for the party . . . =)

4. Default Re: MTV Vidio Music Awards

I just happened to turn it to this when they were handing out best rock video. I guess for some reason they didn't show any rock video, and for an even stranger reason Lorde won. MTV Blows.

proud to say I don't even know what channel MTV is.

I watched the first MTV show and watched it for several years until the type of music they played changed and also when they start doing shows instead of music. I switched to VH1 after that but haven't watched it in a long time either.

MTV made the decision long ago to not grow older with its audience. The comments on here shows that its formula is working. MTV hasn't changed in that it appeals to the demo it strives to reach, you however....

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    MTV made the decision long ago to not grow older with its audience. The comments on here shows that its formula is working. MTV hasn't changed in that it appeals to the demo it strives to reach, you however....

NSFW- language but hilarious and true. Also last nights show was boring.

http://youtu.be/9ysyZF-DZFY

From back in the day when the V in MTV stood for Video, when men were men and women were androgynous.
    (Anne Lennox's real name was Nostradamusita.)

Today it's all about the Suge Knights and gunfights. Oy Vey!

The really isn't a purpose for MTV anymore with music videos being available on-demand on the Internet. The days of watching MTV waiting for your favorite song's video to play are over. That's why its transitioned into a reality TV channel.

Good point. MTV is still popular with the 12-18 year olds of today. They don't care about keeping people who watched it in bygone years. They exist for today's teens.

Old people griping about MTV is about as cliche as it gets. Long story short...its not meant for you. It's like white people complaining about Telemundo. I really don't watch MTV either, but they obivously have found a successful formula. FWIW MTV hasn't really played music videos in primetime since the late 90's.

As far as the awards show is concerned, it was pretty good. There was tons of teeny bopper dribble but also some quality artists like Sam Smith. Beyonce's performance was probably one of the best live TV performances I've seen in years. And Nicki Minaj's "wardrobe malfunction" was hilarious.

I'm telling you that video explains it all.

I remember as a teen in the early '00s coming home from school watching MTV music videos before my parents got home (MTV was banned in my household).

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Good point. MTV is still popular with the 12-18 year olds of today. They don't care about keeping people who watched it in bygone years. They exist for today's teens.
    Plus . . . They, the target demographic, have all the awesome skills to hack into the Money Tree beginning at its root or at least have access to the falling leaves. They don't care about "talent" or "artistic integrity" unless some of that happens to be involved in the Fad du Jour. It's like me and Hula Hoops/Duncan Yo-Yos. Both of which predated MTV. And Frisbees. And Friggin' Scooby Doo which the the next to the last death knell of upcoming human consciousness prior to Teletubbies. Get the Phuque Offin' My Virtual Lawn, Dadnabit . . .=)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Plus . . . They, the target demographic, have all the awesome skills to hack into the Money Tree beginning at its root or at least have access to the falling leaves. They don't care about "talent" or "artistic integrity" unless some of that happens to be involved in the Fad du Jour. It's like me and Hula Hoops/Duncan Yo-Yos. Both of which predated MTV. And Frisbees. And Friggin' Scooby Doo which was the next to the last death knell of upcoming human consciousness prior to Teletubbies. Get the Phuque Offin' My Virtual Lawn, Dadnabit . . .=)
    To put things into perspective, Back in the Early Oughts (00's). . . In a previous life . . . When I was a child . . .
    There was this . . .

That and Weird Al Yankovic.
    On MTV. =)

Sorry . . . Didn't mean to "Quote Myself" . . .
    Too many posts . . . =)

"Historical Perspective????!!! Are you kidding me? I'm a Doctor, not a Scriptwriter of Sociology. =)

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Old people griping about MTV is about as cliche as it gets. Long story short...its not meant for you. It's like white people complaining about Telemundo. I really don't watch MTV either, but they obivously have found a successful formula. FWIW MTV hasn't really played music videos in primetime since the late 90's.

As far as the awards show is concerned, it was pretty good. There was tons of teeny bopper dribble but also some quality artists like Sam Smith. Beyonce's performance was probably one of the best live TV performances I've seen in years. And Nicki Minaj's "wardrobe malfunction" was hilarious.
    And this is exactly why MTV has lost all relevance within and without my Circles of Concern and Influence. =)
    (except, of course, to make fun of it. and all the rest of current "culture". =)

(btw: please be advised: the use of the phrase Circles of Concern and Influence, within this immediate context, means about as much as a "wardrobe malfunction" on a Video Awards Presentation Ceremony and has no connection whatsoever with anything emanating from The Mormon Cult. Hope Suge is feelin' better. Sort of . . . well, let me reconsider that remark . . . yes. I hope he's feeling better.)

Suggestion: Get a Patent or at least a Copyright on "Teeny Bopper Dribble". There is a huge market for it.
    Also: Alt 130 adds that special touché to cliché . . . yet . . . you knew that. =)

(btw2: I like Telemundo. It helps me remember how much Spanish I forgot during the formal educational process in the public schools. most of the teachers were too involved with fighting off pterodactyl attacks on the playground to provide proper linguistic skills for the New World Order. =)

(btw3: You said "griping" . . . Are you sure you hear griping? . . . or it it simply an echo from your future as an adult? =)

19. Default Re: MTV Vidio Music Awards

I find this thread title slightly ironic/emblematic.

20. Default Re: MTV Vidio Music Awards

MTV needs to bring back a legit Road Rules

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    MTV needs to bring back a legit Road Rules
    Replete with a Candy Stand by the Side of the Highway?

So . . . Is this the one that twisted Hanna Montana's Mind?
    (nah . . . she warn't even borned then and Billy Joe was just another guy with a mullet looking for fame)

eMpTyV is dead if you're looking for music

When it was the only way to hear (and see) new/different artists/music, it was awesome and everyone knew that it was Mtv, music first - now, anyone with a phone or computer can hear whatever they want from wherever they want when they want so today, it's just mTV, just another TV channel among hundreds available

Apparently, MTV didn't pay attention to their own future . . .

Did "Days of Future Past" (by the Moody Blues ever make MTV? =)

Someone must have blinded them with science.
    That's the only logical explanation . . .
    Ain't it? If, that is, you are older than 12? At least mentally . . . =)

MTV Video Awards . . . geez . . . what a joke . . .
    (and people eat it up)

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The really isn't a purpose for MTV anymore with music videos being available on-demand on the Internet. The days of watching MTV waiting for your favorite song's video to play are over. That's why its transitioned into a reality TV channel.
    There may not be a "purpose" for MTV anymore . . .
    Yet . . . Maybe there is a porpoise? Just over the event horizon?
    Something involving . . . advertising?

Before the next MTV Video Music Awards . . ?

Sorry . . . I had my mind influenced by Jerry Lewis as The Nutty Professor and Fred MacMurray in Flubber.
    (google either of those to explore the depths of pre-MTV entertainment)

Remember those Sally Struthers ads for starving kids and animals in Africa?
    I see some Miley Cyrus ads for homeless artists in LA hoving into our collective consciousness.
    Don't you? No? She just won some "Best Of" thing . . . =)

Plus too much Jan Murray, Don Rickles, Alan King and Henny Youngman.
    (post Romper Room, pre-Teletubbies) =)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Hope Suge is feelin' better.
    Speaking of...did you see some of the people who were at Chris Brown's party when Suge got shot? Most were folks you'd expect, but the list also included Derek Hough and Richard Simmons. WTH? LOL

Thread Information