Widgets Magazine
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17626364656667
Results 1,651 to 1,671 of 1671

Thread: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

1. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

I also noticed many new trees to be planted just west of the Apartment building. These trees look mature enough to already provide shade.

Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    Phase 2 of Oak will include 85,000 square feet of office and about 15,000 square feet of retail. Plans are underway for a culinary district to come in Phase 3.
    Interesting.

^

Phase II is the office building with ground-floor retail and restaurants.

Phase III will likely be all restaurants and bars to the west.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    I mean, the cities that are fashion-forward or used as test markets for edgy fashion are big, huge cities. LA, NYC, SF, ATL, Dallas, etc. Not cities like OKC or Nashville or even Austin.

They get those brands maybe a round ahead of OKC, because they are bigger markets. But not because they are some fashion-forward, edgy, super urban markets. They may be more relevant, but aren't really trendsetting, fashion-wise.
    Fashion trends tend to develop in those areas way more than places like OKC. To deny that is silly. And it isn’t just population count. In OKC there is a very small emphasis put on design, art, fashion, aesthics, etc. in schools or in the general public. Not saying we are devoid of it, it just isn’t part of our populist mentality. Originality in these things aren’t generally rewarded or encouraged except in niches here.

I can’t remember if it was in this thread or on The Oak’s social media but another food hall is being considered in future phases.

I agree with this, but I think the lag is not as long anymore. We lagged far behind in the culinary world, and now we have a great future in leading that industry. I can see OKC becoming a new location for up-and-coming brands testing their market value in OKC before heading to larger markets.
    Agree

This isn't 1984 anymore where a teen in Ada, Oklahoma is 3 or 4 years behind the trend. Kids in the OKC metro (especially places like Edmond) know the trends. They're on all the socials. Well, the ones that matter to their age group (idk anyone under 30 who is on Facebook).

But, while they're obsessed with brands, what they don't understand is that most of these brands are not the same thing they were in the 80s or 90s. Most are fast fashion masquerading as actual fashion. Just because the label says made in Italy doesn't mean it's not a cheap piece of junk that will fall apart. Watch the Brandy Melville doc. They touch on that.

Trends get absorbed within a matter of hours now, not years, thanks to TikTok and the other socials.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Trends get absorbed within a matter of hours now, not years, thanks to TikTok and the other socials.
    Myth

9. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Agree

This isn't 1984 anymore where a teen in Ada, Oklahoma is 3 or 4 years behind the trend. Kids in the OKC metro (especially places like Edmond) know the trends. They're on all the socials. Well, the ones that matter to their age group (idk anyone under 30 who is on Facebook).

But, while they're obsessed with brands, what they don't understand is that most of these brands are not the same thing they were in the 80s or 90s. Most are fast fashion masquerading as actual fashion. Just because the label says made in Italy doesn't mean it's not a cheap piece of junk that will fall apart. Watch the Brandy Melville doc. They touch on that.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I will have to check it out.

10. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

My favorite aspect of this development is the great use of space. They do not have the acreage of Chisholm Creek or the Half. Yet, they are packing a lot of punch in this mixed-use development. I am excited to walk outside to all these retail and restaurant locations without feeling like a long hike.

My favorite aspect of this development is the great use of space. They do not have the acreage of Chisholm Creek or the Half. Yet, they are packing a lot of punch in this mixed-use development. I am excited to walk outside to all these retail and restaurant locations without feeling like a long hike.
    The problem is, DFW is getting dozens of Chisholm Creek-sized developments with Oak-level density. Once OKC can get a couple of those, then we will be cooking with gas.

But Oak is an amazing project, and I'm not diminishing it's impact. The tenants it has gotten and will get are on a different level, for OKC.

12. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

The problem is, DFW is getting dozens of Chisholm Creek-sized developments with Oak-level density.
    I honestly don't see DFW as a problem. There are plenty of people on our borders in rural towns who would much rather drive to OKC than to DFW, including those in the Texas Panhandle. I hate going to DFW with a passion, and no brand has ever made me want to travel there to buy from them. Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas all have people who would travel to OKC or Tulsa to shop if we built more Oak-style development.

I honestly don't see DFW as a problem. There are plenty of people on our borders in rural towns who would much rather drive to OKC than to DFW, including those in the Texas Panhandle. I hate going to DFW with a passion, and no brand has ever made me want to travel there to buy from them. Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas all have people who would travel to OKC or Tulsa to shop if we built more Oak-style development.
    I know. It's not a problem. But OKC needs more of these. There are no more on the horizon, unfortunately.

14. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

I know. It's not a problem. But OKC needs more of these. There are no more on the horizon, unfortunately.
    I think the other Half of the Half will be almost a replica of a place in The Colony, Texas, near DFW, called Grandscape. They have a large Ferris Wheel and Putt Putt golf area, and it is surrounded by retail and restaurants. It will not be as close together as Oak, but to me, it is another example of new stuff coming to OKC that fits models similar to DFW.

The problem is, DFW is getting dozens of Chisholm Creek-sized developments with Oak-level density. Once OKC can get a couple of those, then we will be cooking with gas.

But Oak is an amazing project, and I'm not diminishing it's impact. The tenants it has gotten and will get are on a different level, for OKC.
    Dallas is the 6th largest metropolitan area in North America. Not sure why it matters for the purposes of this discussion.

Okc does need another couple of these like Oak. Truly walkable with good shops and dining. But we need not compare ourselves to DFW. That metro pretty much extends to Denton now and has over 6 million people. We're not the same.

17. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

I guess everyone forgot that Alley North was proposed. I mean, a comment calls it "Oak but Downtown."

you guys were not joking about those new trees. they are huge, for new development standards.

Default trees

trees, plus a bunch more ready to go, stored on the west side behind the apartments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8248.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	562.9 KB 
ID:	18809  

I wonder if some of those (not the west side but in the common area) were original that they are now replanting.

I hope this development raises the bar for others in town. Especially in terms of landscaping/trees.

Thread Information