Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

I'm really excited about this project. I don't understand the name though. Penn Central or Penn Station or 50 Live - but OAK? And capitalized as if it's an acronym? Don't like it. But the project will be awesome. What a busy and bustling square mile in our city it all will be.

Quote Originally Posted by AlvarezK View Post
    Any updates on this as of yet Pete?
    I doubt anything will happen, materially, until mid 2020 or so. But I could be wrong.

They still have tenants in the office buildings and the rental houses.

It will take time to clear them all out and before you see any movement in terms of demolition.

But I do know they are out blowing and going and trying to sign up tenants. This is just one of those things that will take time.

It's becoming more and more obvious that we are firmly in the backside of the Credit Cycle. The McNeills might be rich AF, but they aren't idiots.

I'll be very surprised if this goes forward as planned: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1W91KS.

Maybe that's what they're waiting for...If you have the money, you have the money. Waiting to build until after the recession has hit is a good way to build cheaper.

Additionally, Oklahoma City is still super affordable, so there's only so much prices can go down here. The cost of living factor becomes more enticing to those living in more expensive cities when the recession hits, and the recession proof city moniker has no reason to have left because it's always been built on a diverse economy (at the city level, not state) and we've only continued to diversify since that moniker came about ~10 years ago.

NOt saying a recession couldn't impact this development, but I do think the economics nationally/globally are not going to be as big of a factor for this development.

It will all depend on their pre-leasing.

I know that have several good retailers and restaurants on the hook.

I know someone who is currently in an office on this property and his lease has been bought out. Additionally he said that there were multiple moving vans on site today.

I was just going to post that I saw several moving vans today at the Regent building.

Hey Pete, any news as of yet?

Quote Originally Posted by AlvarezK View Post
    Hey Pete, any news as of yet?
    Even though some tenants have moved out of the existing office buildings, there are still several still operating, so those structures aren't coming down any time soon.

Any news on this? Their social media is active but it's been quite a while since I've heard anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Any news on this? Their social media is active but it's been quite a while since I've heard anything.
    They have been seeking public incentives, even before the virus.

I strongly hope that I am incorrect, but I have a feeling this project is going to be a casualty of the virus/recession. I was reading an article today about how all the department store chains are failing. Neiman Marcus just declared bankruptcy. Macy's, Sears, JC Penney only have a few months of cash. Some stuff will certainly survive, and maybe the kinds of local boutiques this development would include, are among those. But I just think the next year is going to lay bare how "over retailed" this whole country is. And does anybody really think OKC is going to be in a position to offer tax incentives for something like this?

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Looks like they're soliciting information from the public about what they'd like to see incorporated re: COVID-19, or perhaps getting a sense of if things need to be delayed based on public concern about public gatherings.

https://bit.ly/OakOKCSurvey

The 8 houses on Barnes (outlined in green below) are now completely abandoned and starting to look pretty shabby with broken windows and trash.

In the photo below, you can see the utilities have been marked and I suspect they'll be performing demolition soon.

I'm not advocating for preventing demo, but I love these mid-century houses, so much so I bought one in the neighborhood to the south.

BTW, there are still a bunch of cars every weekday at The Registry, the office building on the west end of this project.

Some tenants have moved out but there are still several operating.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The 8 houses on Barnes (outlined in green below) are now completely abandoned and starting to look pretty shabby with broken windows and trash.

In the photo below, you can see the utilities have been marked and I suspect they'll be performing demolition soon.

I'm not advocating for preventing demo, but I love these mid-century houses, so much so I bought one in the neighborhood to the south.

I love those old mid century houses too. 12 pane original wood garage door, steel casement windows, and cool design features not seen any more.

Any idea as to when this project might get started?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Any idea as to when this project might get started?
    No time soon.

They needed public assistance even before this entire virus/economy mess.

Noticed today they are actively trying to lease The Registry office building, after clearing out most the tenants last year.

Further evidence this project is not happening anytime soon.

Really hoping coronavirus doesn't kill this project entirely. Hopefully it is just delayed.

HangryHippo Guest

It sure has the feel of 2008 - great project for OKC fails due to nationwide catastrophe.

To be fair, this catastrophe is going to halt great projects and destroy existing ones in every city in the country. I doubt any particular city's relative place in the national hierarchy is going to notably change due to COVID, though all of them are certainly going to be lesser versions of their pre-virus selves.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Noticed today they are actively trying to lease The Registry office building, after clearing out most the tenants last year.

Further evidence this project is not happening anytime soon.
    Any chance they can build it out in phases, starting with the area at the corner of NWExp and Penn? That will be land with costs but no income. The offices can at least create income to cover some expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Any chance they can build it out in phases, starting with the area at the corner of NWExp and Penn?
    I can't see how because the entire plan revolves around realigning NW 50th which requires removing all existing structures.

Thread Information