Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 61 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121358 ... LastLast

Thread: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Default Re: Penn Central

Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post
    As a resident of this area, the ability to walk and bike around this area more safely could make it way more urban. Adding infrastructure around NW Expressway for walking and biking would be a godsend. Just try to walk from NW 39th and Classen and Penn Square Mall and you'll see how it's nearly impossible to get around by foot on concrete. And there are so many amenities around the area which make it ripe for pedestrian activity.
    There is not even a sidewalk along 39th between Classen and Penn, and I see people walking in the grass or street almost every day.

I'm very happy to say that they recently added sidewalks along Penn up to and past NW Expressway and they have been adding the same through my residential streets.

But good luck trying to cross NW Ex at Villa on foot. It's almost laughable; it's like they designed that intersection specifically to stop people from doing just that. There isn't even a push-button crosswalk thing and the last time I tried it, I crossed with the green and it changed to red before I could even reach the other side, which means you basically have to stop in the median and wait for a 2nd green light, which is eternal. This is particularly egregious because the very popular Belle Isle Libary is at that intersection, meaning all the good people who live south of NW Expressway -- some only a block or two away -- can only get there by car.

Blog Entries

They finally added sidewalk on Penn from 63rd to NW Expy. However, I live on a cul-de-sac off 63rd east of Penn and can't walk out of my neighborhood without twisting an ankle in the grass (with ruts and holes), or taking my life in my hands on 63rd. I had to quit riding my bike from my house because of the danger of having to get out on 63rd til I could cut through the Waterford. LOL Otherwise, I love this is walking/biking distance from me.

Something like this would of been perfect next to Scissortail Park.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Something like this would of been perfect next to Scissortail Park.
    Still could be. Not like all of that land is not able to be developed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Still could be. Not like all of that land is not able to be developed.
    Exactly. But I imagine the demographics of this area won out over an as yet undeveloped area with unknown demographics. A major artery access and an interstate access 1/4 mile away. In an existing neighborhood. Near to the expanding downtown. On the express bus route. Affordable land. Adjacent to the upscale mall. Nearby affluent neighborhoods. Those make a predictable success for this location.

Now, I hope Lipsmackers will set up shop there😎

Blog Entries

Another quality redevelopment that will enhance the Penn Central area and add to OKC's portfolio.

Tulsa developers Andy Patel (Fairfield Inn & Suites) & Ryan McNeill are Tulsa based developers who recognize the potential in Oklahoma City.

Not to derail this thread... no pun intended, .... but every time I see the name of this development I think of the late 60’s merger of the Pennsylvania, New York Central, and New Haven railroads.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B10D6911-761B-4A8B-AB10-32E6974377A8.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	15157

This will be a very cool development. Kind of wish I still lived over in Mayfair.

I imagine a development like this would lead to the nearby houses that are most "exposed" or "vulnerable" to the new development either getting purchase by people who do not care, or getting purchased by other developers who work to then tear down those houses and merge multiple lots so they can build multi-unit dwellings.

To that end - do we as a city have a good process in place for these types of changes?

^

That's pretty much what happened around Classen Curve.

Developers went into the bordering neighborhood and started buying lots and building 4-on-a-lot homes that sell for $700K+.

10. Default Re: Penn Central

Homeowners in surrounding area will not be hurting if this gets built.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    Homeowners in surrounding area will not be hurting if this gets built.
    As I've mentioned, I live a few blocks to the south.

I would *love* to have someplace to walk to. I tried walking to Penn Square once and just about got ran over half a dozen times.

And it would hurt to see property values go up.

12. Default Re: Penn Central

^ wouldn't
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Will be interesting to see what lease rates run. If they've spend north or $30 PSF on the dirt and require structured parking, I presume they'll have to be pretty high to be economically feasible.

The rezoning application and plan to close and reroute some streets goes before the planning commission on March 28th.

A few new renderings and the rest are just better quality than what was previously posted.

Seems like quality projects like this have way more steps involved, and take longer to get thru the process. Crappy projects get approval almost instantly, by comparison.

^

This project is in a highly developed area, involves razing several office buildings and homes, requires a switch from R-1 residential to very high density commercial, requires closing of state right-of-way and a new exit off NW Expressway, and would include rerouting a major section line road (50th) and completely closing some other streets.

This is about as complicated as it gets.

The only thing that really compares is the massive Chesapeake campus and surrounding properties, and that took over a decade and involved dozens and dozens of approvals over that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

This project is in a highly developed area, involves razing several office buildings and homes, requires a switch from R-1 residential to very high density commercial, requires closing of state right-of-way and a new exit off NW Expressway, and would include rerouting a major section line road (50th) and completely closing some other streets.

This is about as complicated as it gets.

The only thing that really compares is the massive Chesapeake campus and surrounding properties, and that took over a decade and involved dozens and dozens of approvals over that time.
    That's true. I didn't realize all that had to change and get re-zoned with this project.

The site plan does not line up with the aerial view.

Plus, they don't own all the homes where they want to build the parking garage along NW Expy.

NWPF LLC owned parcels:

VINTAGE GARDEN ENTERPRISES LLC owned parcels:

Looks like one home owner is holding out, MEYER RODNEY parcel:

Pete, have you heard whether the Temple B'nai Israel folks have taken any sort of position on this? Just curious.

The only thing I would change is make all the vehicle access and parking to the outskirts and the garages. Make the currently-planned internal driving paths a pedestrian corridor.

you can't cut off 50th street ...

Why not? You can still access through the north side of this project, or even the dump out to NW Expressway. The stuff in white is surface lanes/parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Why not? You can still access through the north side of this project, or even the dump out to NW Expressway. The stuff in white is surface lanes/parking.
    because 50th is a main east west street to that neighbor hood and in OKC .. fire police oge access ect

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    you can't cut off 50th street ...
    I think you meant, "You can't cut off 50th Street... unless you're an expressway or office tower" :-P

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    because 50th is a main east west street to that neighbor hood and in OKC .. fire police oge access ect
    50th is already cut off by 50 Penn Place -- and access from North Penn is limited to south bound traffic only.

Thread Information