Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156 ... LastLast

Thread: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Default Re: Penn Central

That looks pretty awesome.

It looks very much like a miniature version of Avalon (Atlanta). And that ain't a bad thing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    It looks very much like a miniature version of Avalon (Atlanta). And that ain't a bad thing at all.
    Same architects.

Developers are specifically trying to do a very similar development and that is why they hired these architects from Georgia. They've done a bunch of super cool mixed-use projects.

This is starting to look really legit. And my house is within walking distance!

HangryHippo Guest

I love this! I hope it happens.

Oh man, this area is the PERFECT area for this. There is VAST potential here. This is going to be awesome! Someone already mentioned it, it reminds me of Legacy West in Plano. Then right across Sam Rayburn you have Ikea and Stonebriar Mall, but for us it's 50 Penn Place and Penn Square.

Very CityCentre-ish in West Houston. This looks awesome!

This looks fantastic, and will be pretty close to me as well if it happens. Here's hoping.

Definitely a true 'big city' development. OKC really needs something like this. Hopefully it pans out.

I quite like this but my only concern is that if I lived over there, I'd sure rather my home integrate with the new development than to suddenly back up to a huge parking garage. Though I guess the surface parking lots they back up top today aren't much better.

There is actually a massive parking lot to the immediate west that is for a big church where the congregation is obviously a fraction of what it once was. We discussed this elsewhere but this is happening all over OKC now where these big churches were built just outside the core in the 50's, 60's and 70's and now they draw maybe 10% of what they once did.

Anyway, that parking lot is just a collasal use of space. I'd love to see the developers buy at least half of it and use it for a parking structure and then use more of their own land for more commercial development.

As it is, there is going to be a massive parking structure directly across from this massive surface lot. I suspect it will come in handy for overlow and unauthorized parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is actually a massive parking lot to the immediate west that is for a big church where the congregation is obviously a fraction of what it once was.
    you're not kidding... according to mayfair church of christ's website:

We currently have 250 members and average 210 at our Sunday morning assembly.
    to the east and south of the building, there are 240 spaces... on a typical sunday morning, each person could show up in their own car and they'd still have spaces to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    you're not kidding... according to mayfair church of christ's website:

to the east and south of the building, there are 240 spaces... on a typical sunday morning, each person could show up in their own car and they'd still have spaces to spare.
    And that's for a couple of hours on a Sunday morning.

Church parking lots have to be the biggest space waster on the planet.

I came here to say that this reminds me of Legacy West, but looks like you guys already have that mention covered. Haha.

Hopefully if something like this works, a bigger project will come somewhere else in the city. This is a great start!

. . . can't wait!! not within walking distance, but really close!!

this looks amazing!

Love this design and its in a really great spot too.

I do wonder about those homeowners in the north and south side of it. Seems they are right on top of them. Imagine owning one of those house and they built a tall high traffic complex behind you. I would hope there is a plan for those owners either buyouts or will need a massive wall to block out.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post

I do wonder about those homeowners in the north and south side of it. Seems they are right on top of them. Imagine owning one of those house and they built a tall high traffic complex behind you. I would hope there is a plan for those owners either buyouts or will need a massive wall to block out.
    Anyone notice the rendering showing the "Shack Shake?" Hmmm. That would be killer if these folks can draw Shake Shack to OKC.

This is just literally everything that area needs right now. That whole part of town is like a second hub, but weirdly bifurcated due to I-44, Classen Circle remnants, and other mistakes.

This could be a hit and with the quality of brands we are already drawing to the area, could bring in some choice retailers.

I wonder about NIMBY opposition as well. There was a hugely ambitious project a few years ago proposed north of Classen Curve that is now tabled because NIMBYs successfully tied it up in court long enough for market conditions to change. Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen here.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    This could be a hit and with the quality of brands we are already drawing to the area, could bring in some choice retailers.
    I agree. This could be the development that draws in some of the retailers that should be in OKC but for whatever reason aren't.

Perhaps they could build that massive wall and make “Penn Central” pay for it?

Blog Entries

Are you kidding? Those houses will go up in value immediately. They won't want to be blocked, but want easy walking access to it. All that makes their homes much more sought after. I am sure the developer would love to get all those houses for current market value and then turn them for big profit as the development is completed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I wonder about NIMBY opposition as well. There was a hugely ambitious project a few years ago proposed north of Classen Curve that is now tabled because NIMBYs successfully tied it up in court long enough for market conditions to change. Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen here.
    First of all, I believe that project is moving forward. Hotel should start soon. Retail on north side of 63rd is progressing rapidly. The bank has been leveled. And I am hearing movement on other parts.

And, it wasn’t NIMBYs plural. There was basically one person who was a lawyer who objected enough to delay it. She lost her fight. She was never really backed by the Glenbrook neighborhood. We recognize how our value is being increased every day this Curve development gets closer. Location = value. Access to these kinds of amenities INCREASE value and add to the quality of lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

I agree. This could be the development that draws in some of the retailers that should be in OKC but for whatever reason aren't.
    I love the design but also respect homeowners.

What do you think would be a good remedy? I don’t see the developer offering to buy them out so what is the options for those homeowners? I can see both sides of this but the homes were there first so somehow the developers need to come up with a workable plan imo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    First of all, I believe that project is moving forward. Hotel should start soon. Retail on north side of 63rd is progressing rapidly. The bank has been leveled. And I am hearing movement on other parts.

And, it wasn’t NIMBYs plural. There was basically one person who was a lawyer who objected enough to delay it. She lost her fight. She was never really backed by the Glenbrook neighborhood. We recognize how our value is being increased every day this Curve development gets closer. Location = value. Access to these kinds of amenities INCREASE value and add to the quality of lifestyle.
    I love the design but also respect homeowners.

What do you think would be a good remedy? I don’t see the developer offering to buy them out so what is the options for those homeowners? I can see both sides of this but the homes were there first so somehow the developers need to come up with a workable plan imo.
    So, the developer should compensate you for making your property worth a lot more? Or, for making the neighbor lifestyle much better and more desirable? For replacing some offices and parking lots with a vibrant shopping, living, area with a legitimate night life? All within easy walking distance.

If the developer follows through, the neighbors should be slapping the developer on the back not complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, the developer should compensate you for making your property worth a lot more? Or, for making the neighbor lifestyle much better and more desirable? For replacing some offices and parking lots with a vibrant shopping, living, area with a legitimate night life? All within easy walking distance.

If the developer follows through, the neighbors should be slapping the developer on the back not complaining.
    I think you are making assumptions on value and if the homeowners like it or not. I just think we have to at least consider the owners who were there first. If they all like it and want to stay thats great. Has the developer canvassed the immediate home owners? I am for the complex but also for owners.

If they work with owners this can be a win win. Lets assume an owner wants to move. If the developer agrees to pay the difference between sell price and appraised vaue that would be a fair deal. If an owner wnats to stay great.

Thread Information