Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891055 ... LastLast

Thread: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Default Re: SW Corner of Penn and NW Expressway

Even though one could consider this development a "lifestyle center", it's different than other lifestyle centers I have visited in that it is integrated into an existing neighborhood. It's not it's own walled off, self contained enclave. This to me, while a massive single party development, is superior as it will work with the established fabric of the neighborhood rather than being a separate mall like area.

This has the potential to be similar to CityCentre in Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    i don't know if i would go that far... needs a lot of work to get up to that standard... but i would be very happy if that was a similar idea to what is in store for the whole area

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i don't know if i would go that far... needs a lot of work to get up to that standard... but i would be very happy if that was a similar idea to what is in store for the whole area
    I was alluding more so to its walkability and apartments with the potential for nicer stores and restaurants, with its easy accessibility from NW EXPWY and/or I-44. Maybe it would've been more fair to compare it to La Centerra in Cinco Ranch/Katy...

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking, albeit on an Oklahoma City scale.

Quote Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
    This is only a schematic drawing and that median is not set-in-stone.
    the median into the business is already there, why would they change it

Quote Originally Posted by David W View Post
    the median into the business is already there, why would they change it
    Pete has already pointed that out to me on the previous page.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Could there not be a bus/trolly line that ferries people from NH Plaza, Classen Curve, PSQ, and this new development? That would definitely bring all the retail together and provide customers an easier shopping/dining experience, IMO. Only having to park once and then stay all day would be nice given that Penn, NW Expressway, and Grand Blvd can get fairly congested at times.
    Anything is doable if someone wants to pay for it. IMO it would be in the best interest of all the area shopping entities (Penn Square, 50 Penn Place, Classen Curve, Classen Triangle, and this place) to pool some money and at least run a circulator bus during peak shopping hours on weekends, but you're not going to see something like that from the city. Such an endeavor is a non-trivially costly thing though. Hard to sustain if not being well utilized. Thing is, if people are actually shopping, they'll be carrying lots of shopping bags. At that point, probably just as well to drive between the places so they have bag storage.

Here are a few more images of Avalon in suburban Georgia.

This development would be similar, just a bit smaller with no theater or hotel.

But the 'community square' concept would be the same which would be programmed with all types of events and maybe even an ice rink in the winter.

Other similar developments are The Grove in LA and Santana Row in San Jose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180727_102717.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	217.8 KB 
ID:	14798

Alright, so I have been door knocking in the area and speaking to other business owners of the area (Simon of Simon malls as well as 50 Penn of 50 Penn Place) and we have all come to an agreement. I have been asked to design a response to this. I've got the backing of at least one woman on instagram as well as someone else. We all agree, we don't want any traffic concerns a la Penn and Memorial, we don't want anymore property devaluation (since big developments always kill property values within a 10 mile radius) and really we're just flat out tired of positive growth in OKC.

So again, this is an actually architectural rendering of mine we will be submitting to the city. We will be asking for TIF, to the tune of a couple million.

Haha...

I bet you could get Braum's to buy-in.

Thunder Re: SW Corner of Penn and NW Expressway

Sorry if already covered but why not across the street at 50 Penn? That's already a mostly vacant mixed used space isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Haha...

We asked them about moving a half mile north, but they really love the competition the old Coits brings them. Just stuck in their ways I guess. The benefit here is that there is no Chuck E. Cheese or Carl's Jr. around. The people will love this. Pete, you'll finally have a nice place to walk to with your dogs, grab a double western bacon cheeseburger combo, and walk back home. This is big league.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Haha...

Naaa...it's not a good fit for a Braum's because there's nothing historic to tear down.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcAnn View Post
    Sorry if already covered but why not across the street at 50 Penn? That's already a mostly vacant mixed used space isn't it?
    Welcome to the site!

That's a good point and I bet that if this comes off and becomes what well all hope it will be, perhaps 50 Penn will be motivated to reconfigure as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Naaa...it's not a good fit for a Braum's because there's nothing historic to tear down.
    Maybe we could convince the B'nai Temple to FINALLY move to the 'burbs and let Braums have their way with that land.

Any updates for this project?

Default Re: Penn Central

First look at ambitious NW Expressway and Penn mixed-use project

Plans are moving forward to redevelop 16.4 acres at the southwest corner of NW Expressway and Pennsylvania near Penn Square Mall.

A group led by Tulsa developer Ryan McNeil looks to demolish two large office complexes and a handful of homes and replace them with a complex that would feature a movie theater, hotel, apartments, restaurant, retail and office space and structured parking.

OKCTalk was first to report on the plans last July when neighbors in the area were being asked for their support.

Dubbed Penn Central, the conceptual design by architects Wakefield Beasley & Associates is similar to Avalon in Alpharetta, Georgia, a popular and acclaimed mixed-use project that was designed by the same firm.

Under the plan, NW 50th would be realigned to tie into an existing light on Penn that currently leads into 50 Penn Place. New vehicle access would also be added from east-bound NW Expressway.

The owners have systematically acquired the property over the last several years with a total investment of almost $15 million. The group first purchased the former Salvation Army land and several homes from Chesapeake Energy in 2016 and then later bought the Penn Park and Registry office complexes.

The immediate area continues to be a hot spot for commercial development. Neighboring Penn Square recently adding a free-standing Container Store while the mall itself enjoys high occupancy and jammed parking lots while many other enclosed shopping complexes around the country are struggling. To the east, work is just starting on Oklahoma's first REI in Belle Isle Station, another large retail and restaurant complex that continues to thrive.

The planning commission will consider the rezoning application for Penn Central in late February or early March.

This is what I’m taking about! Killer project! Great location too, hope everything works out!

Do we know the financing abilities of the developers? Are they loaded, or just ridiculously ambitious with no means to afford it?

If a "Shack Shake" is involved, I'm all for this.

WOW, this is almost too good to be true. Very nice!

i really hope it's at least close to this... this looks amazing

Looks like Shops of Legacy West in Frisco. Down to the street design. This is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    If a "Shack Shake" is involved, I'm all for this.
    It's time to speak this into existence!

Thread Information