Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 65 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171863 ... LastLast

Thread: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

A Le meridien would be nice

Default Re: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

I wonder if the boutique hotel that was supposed to be built on Western across from Chesapeake decided to move over here...

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    I wonder if the boutique hotel that was supposed to be built on Western across from Chesapeake decided to move over here...
    I am authorized to say that the hotel you are referring to is still on track to be built across from the Chesapeake campus. I believe more info will be released later in 2019.

Too bad REI didn't wait because this would have been a great spot for them.

Suddenly, we have a real battle and great options for new-to-market retail, restaurants and entertainment: OAK, Classen Curve and Chisholm Creek.

I love everything about this development.

Were the neighbor reactions positive?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Were the neighbor reactions positive?
    Yes.

Notice that they have changed their plans so that the parts that abut any existing homes are now lower profile.

The developers have done a great job of working with neighbors and the planning commission. They have held scores of meetings and seem to have really listened to the feedback.

This is a massive project well done. No complaints

^^^ I was wondering if that's what happened. The new layout is so much better! This is a case of a developer working with neighbors that seemed to be really productive. Seems they've lessened the impact of the parking garages directly across from single family homes. This design to me is far superior to the original plans. Very encouraging!

Something else that occurs to me, the future BRT line going up Classen and NW Expressway has a stop at Penn Square on the plans. Should be nice synergy with this development once everything involved is up and running. Definitely would need better supporting sidewalks along NW Expressway and Penn to up the pedestrian access, but that seems like a no-brainer to make it all work better.

(From the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) thread)

NorthPark Center in Dallas has a similar new mixed use development to the east of that mall and they co-exist really well.It's called Park Lane and the shops are called The Shops at Park Lane. They have high end apartments, office space, restaurants, and retail. I think it's like 33 acres and 500,000 square feet of shopping with an equal amount off office space, so larger than this will be, but pretty comparable.

https://www.visitdallas.com/things-t...Park-Lane.html

The shops that OAK will attract will likely be different from what Penn Square has. More like Classen Curve. I think it will be a great get for this city. I see OAK and Penn Square as complementing each other, kinda like NorthPark and Park Lane do, not really competing with each other.

Penn Square would be smart to make it possible to actually walk to their mall from OAK or anywhere else.

As it is, there are crosswalks and even a bus stop but you either have to rappel down a berm then weave your way through the asphalt parking lot, or take you life in your hands by walking down one of the drives into the property. People aren't going to do either of those things, even though the distance between these two projects is easily walkable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Penn Square would be smart to make it possible to actually walk to their mall from OAK or anywhere else.

As it is, there are crosswalks and even a bus stop but you either have to rappel down a berm then weave your way through the asphalt parking lot, or take you life in your hands by walking down one of the drives into the property. People aren't going to do either of those things, even though the distance between these two projects is easily walkable.
    I agree with you, but they certainly didn't make it easy to walk from Belle Isle shopping center, so I'm not super confident they will do so here.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I agree with you, but they certainly didn't make it easy to walk from Belle Isle shopping center, so I'm not super confident they will do so here.
    That non-connection is even worse.

Penn Square is a complete island in the middle of a sea of asphalt.

You can't even easily walk from the Container Store or Cheesecake Factory to the mall, and they are on the same property.

Blog Entries

That non-connection is even worse.

Penn Square is a complete island in the middle of a sea of asphalt.

You can't even easily walk from the Container Store or Cheesecake Factory to the mall, and they are on the same property.
    Agreed. My point was that they actively opposed a pedestrian bridge proposal so probably wishful thinking for other types of connection...

If “both” developments are smart they join forces and split the costs to have a shuttle van go back and forth free to riders. That way if parked at PSM and want to venture over can do so easily. And hotel or others wanting to shop can do likewise. Collaboration is the key word here, and both would benefit. Could have coupon handouts in the van too.

I also think that, if the developer has all of these LOIs and leases already confirmed, then he has it on good authority that the project will be approved (like Pete said, City Council will usually follow the Planning Commission result). Just makes me pumped that a development like this is coming!

I tried to take the bus to Penn Square the other day and the only bus available at the time (unless I wanted to wait an additional 50 min or so) was one that stopped at classen and Belle Isle. The walk from there to Penn Square is a complete nightmare. No sidewalks, few trees, have to walk over half a mile in the parking lot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    I tried to take the bus to Penn Square the other day and the only bus available at the time (unless I wanted to wait an additional 50 min or so) was one that stopped at classen and Belle Isle. The walk from there to Penn Square is a complete nightmare. No sidewalks, few trees, have to walk over half a mile in the parking lot.
    That's Route 5. But Route 8 also goes directly there, drops you off on Penn just in front of the mall. However, if it was after 7pm the 5 is your only choice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190809.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	15503

Penn Square should develop the portion of the lot near the corner of NWE and Penn, create a skybridge to Oak over the intersection, and build more structured parking to make up for the loss.

Yeah I know. I would have taken it but but I would have had to wait an extra 50 min or so. This was on the weekend. The point of my post was simply to highlight the inhumanity of the area by there being no sidewalks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
    Yeah I know. I would have taken it but but I would have had to wait an extra 50 min or so. This was on the weekend. The point of my post was simply to highlight the inhumanity of the area by there being no sidewalks.
    Even if there were sidewalks headways like that are pathetic.

I could have made the 23 over to the 8 on time but timing was off on the app and I missed the 23 and had to walk to classen. Hour lead times on the weekend meant that I had to take the 8 in order to fit the trip within my timeframe. This is off topic but the bus system would reeeeaaaallly benefit from some sort of signage at every stop saying when the bus comes. How does anyone navigate our system if they don't have a smartphone? Even with a smartphone, a plethora of travel and public transit experience, and an above average understanding of our cities geography, I still had a very tough time.

Blog Entries

It's best to use TransitApp as you know where the bus really is vs its scheduled time, since buses are often late.

I ride the bus almost every day, have taken it to Norman, to Top Golf, to the outlet mall, all over. It can be made to work, but definitely needs better headways in general.

Good to know. Thanks for the tip!

Penn Square Mall has filed a lengthy protest, citing inappropriate density, increased traffic and other things.

They did not submit anything to the planning commission during that very lengthy process, so don't know why they are just now trying to intervene.

Thread Information