Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560 ... LastLast

Thread: OAK (formerly Penn Central)

Default Re: Penn Central

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Pete, do you if they have acquired all of the properties for this development or do they need to acquire more? I am thinking more of the single family homes rather than the offices.
    They have acquired all the homes as well as the 3 commercial lots.

Actually, Chesapeake had assembled all the residential properties some time ago, as it was adjacent to the Salvation Army they also bought (now razed). And this developer bought all that from CHK then the two large office properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They have acquired all the homes as well as the 3 commercial lots.

Actually, Chesapeake had assembled all the residential properties some time ago, as it was adjacent to the Salvation Army they also bought (now razed). And this developer bought all that from CHK then the two large office properties.
    Got it, thanks Pete. So, the big things will be the rezoning, ROW for 50th and that sort of thing. Any idea how long something like that will take?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Got it, thanks Pete. So, the big things will be the rezoning, ROW for 50th and that sort of thing. Any idea how long something like that will take?
    They had already gathered a lot of signatures of support from the neighborhood.

This could pass at the next planning commission but more likely, will take a couple of passes and adjustments.

I know they have already been recruiting national tenants and have only been signing short-term leases in the office space.

They had already gathered a lot of signatures of support from the neighborhood.

This could pass at the next planning commission but more likely, will take a couple of passes and adjustments.

I know they have already been recruiting national tenants and have only been signing short-term leases in the office space.
    This will, if it is not shredded down, be an awesome development, and will get similar-level tenants to Classen Curve, and maybe slightly better, since it is not basically full like CC is.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else think that there is more parking in here than the development, as presently presented, really needs?

It seems like there are somewhere between 2000-2500 spaces (assuming 5 story garages) and I think Penn Square is under 3500 and is significantly larger/more dense. Now if those garages are shorter than I'm thinking they'll be, then sure, I can see the need.

Also, I think I've said this before, but if this comes through, Classen Curve, Penn Square, Belle Isle, and Penn Central need to seriously look at establishing a bus route between all these places.

6. Default Re: Penn Central

Quote Originally Posted by teo9969 View Post
    out of curiosity, does anyone else think that there is more parking in here than the development, as presently presented, really needs?

It seems like there are somewhere between 2000-2500 spaces (assuming 5 story garages) and i think penn square is under 3500 and is significantly larger/more dense. Now if those garages are shorter than i'm thinking they'll be, then sure, i can see the need.

Also, i think i've said this before, but if this comes through, classen curve, penn square, belle isle, and penn central need to seriously look at establishing a bus route between all these places.
    or a streetcar line

^ dont forget NHP, triangle, 50 Penn. and possibly Cassidy Sq. Quite the retail monster when you group the area all together. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

The rezoning was to be heard today at Planning Commission but the developer elected to continue to next month's meeting.

HangryHippo Guest

The rezoning was to be heard today at Planning Commission but the developer elected to continue to next month's meeting.
    Anything to be made of this or just the developer making sure everything is in order?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Anything to be made of this or just the developer making sure everything is in order?
    It's very common; about half the items on today's agenda were continued at the request of the applicant.

I haven't seen any letters of protest.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Out of curiosity, does anyone else think that there is more parking in here than the development, as presently presented, really needs?

It seems like there are somewhere between 2000-2500 spaces (assuming 5 story garages) and I think Penn Square is under 3500 and is significantly larger/more dense. Now if those garages are shorter than I'm thinking they'll be, then sure, I can see the need.

Also, I think I've said this before, but if this comes through, Classen Curve, Penn Square, Belle Isle, and Penn Central need to seriously look at establishing a bus route between all these places.
    Pretty sure NW Expressway is getting a Bus Rapid Transit line.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Pretty sure NW Expressway is getting a Bus Rapid Transit line.
    But I'm specifically referring to a route where I could park my car at Penn Square and do a day of shopping @ Classen Curve, the mall, and Penn Central without ever moving my car. I mean, I don't think is something we would need in 2023, but by 2030, there could be some serious density in all these places, especially if any of these property owners realize the potential in retrofitting some of the surface parking into mixed use parking-garages.

If Penn Central happens, it will cement this area as the most important retail area in OKC for a guaranteed 30+ years and I believe it could be a major spur to working toward larger-scale urbanization from Villa to Shartel, 36th up to 63rd.

There may not be a need for it now, but I would certainly use it if I felt like having a shopping day! I've used the downtown streetcar for the same general reason. It's easy parking and then taking the streetcar to Midtown, then back to Bricktown to catch a movie before leaving. It's a good idea, Teo!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    But I'm specifically referring to a route where I could park my car at Penn Square and do a day of shopping @ Classen Curve, the mall, and Penn Central without ever moving my car. I mean, I don't think is something we would need in 2023, but by 2030, there could be some serious density in all these places, especially if any of these property owners realize the potential in retrofitting some of the surface parking into mixed use parking-garages.

If Penn Central happens, it will cement this area as the most important retail area in OKC for a guaranteed 30+ years and I believe it could be a major spur to working toward larger-scale urbanization from Villa to Shartel, 36th up to 63rd.
    To get people used to the idea, to have/show ridership numbers, and to eventually convince a future RTA to support such a transit option officially, it would be a decent idea for the entities you mention to form a joint venture to fund the buying/operating of 2-3 buses or vans and hire several drivers to run this circulator, especially on weekends...

Honestly, I could see it being a business opportunity, especially if there was a garage built and the business rented out a select number of spaces. Imagine being able to go to Penn Central, park in one of the garages in a reserved space, you get chauffeured around the area and every time you get on the "bus" to go to the next location you, can off-load your bags, which are then taken back to the garage and stored until you're ready to go.

I can imagine that would not only appeal to consumers, but potentially something for the business owners in the area to subsidize as it would certainly draw in more people looking for a heightened shopping experience.

Any updates???

Hey Pete,any new updates???

Quote Originally Posted by AlvarezK View Post
    Hey Pete,any new updates???
    You have to remember that this is an extremely complicated development, and there are certain aspects of it where the Developers would benefit from discretion.

We may not hear any meaningful news for some time.

Hey Pete, anything new???

Quote Originally Posted by AlvarezK View Post
    Hey Pete, anything new???
    It's on the agenda for tomorrow's Planning Commission meeting.

There are a few protest letters from surrounding neighbors.

Ambitious mixed-use project moves forward near Penn Square

After years of planning, an ambitious project proposed for the southwest corner of NW Expressway and Pennsylvania has taken a big step forward.

Thursday, the Planning Commission voted unanimously to recommend rezoning for the nearly 12 acres at one of Oklahoma City's busiest commercial intersections.

Dubbed Penn Central, preliminary plans show a hotel, cinema, apartments, 3 parking structures and space for office, retail and restaurants.

NW 50th Street would be reworked to run through the middle of the development and would allow for improved traffic flow, particularly at the Penn intersection. OKCTalk was first to report on this story last summer.

Developer Ryan McNeil and his Veritas Development group spent several years acquiring the required property and obtaining signatures from surrounding neighborhoods to remove existing covenants. Multiple meetings were held to receive feedback from people in the area.

At the planning meeting, several citizens spoke against the project, concerned about increased neighborhood traffic, increased density and how the project would tower over surrounding homes.

Ultimately, the commissioners agreed the corner was prime for this type of development and that it would well serve the community as a whole.

McNeil told the group he has been working with several national retailers who would be new to Oklahoma City. When questioned about timing, McNeil said they would only demolish existing buildings when financing was in place and they were ready to build the project, which he hoped would happen in about one year.

The point was also made that Penn Square is virtually full as are their outlying land parcels, which now include the Container Store, the Cheesecake Factory and Whiskey Cake restaurant.

City Council will have a final vote on the project in about a month, but typically follow the recommendations of the Planning Commission.

Pete, is the picture directly above the site plan outdated? Just curious which is the most up to date.

And I truly hope this gets off the ground! Hopefully they have been working to get financing secured so once it gets approved by the CC, development can start in earnest. Great work in covering this project, Pete!

The site plan in the article has changed slightly since all those other renderings were done, that's why they don't completely match.

But that particular site plan is what was approved.

The site plan in the article has changed slightly since all those other renderings were done, that's why they don't completely match.

But that particular site plan is what was approved.
    Ah, ok. Cool! It looks awesome, either way!

Given those 'pedestrian circulation' lines, does that mean we're actually going to get a little bit of sidewalk along NW Expressway?

I'm really pumped for this project. Combine this with some walking and biking improvements along the Expressway from Villa to Classen and the BRT - we're looking at a real game changer for this area.

My pie in the sky dream is to bury I-44 from SH-74 to I-235.

Thread Information