Widgets Magazine
Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: National Basketball Association

Default Re: National Basketball Association

Congrats to Buddy "Buckets" for winning the 3 point contest last night. Wishing continued success for him and his career.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Omni has pretty much eliminated that sort of competition with their agreement with the city.
    Yes, and put us where they have major control over what new hotels come to or near our convention center. We'd be lucky to see an NBA All Star weekend before 2040.

Blog Entries

Omni has pretty much eliminated that sort of competition with their agreement with the city.
    Not true. If there are developers who actually believe there is an economically attractive opportunity, they can build whatever they want. City can’t give incentives though. If there is all this opportunity that so many on this board believe, should be a no brainer, right.

Blog Entries

NBA Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Not true. If there are developers who actually believe there is an economically attractive opportunity, they can build whatever they want. City can’t give incentives though. If there is all this opportunity that so many on this board believe, should be a no brainer, right.
    You would think.

Cox Convention Center, which is currently the city’s main convention center, may not be used as the main convention center one year after Omni opens. The agreement restricts redevelopment as a hotel. Omni would be offered first rights to develop a hotel on the site. Additionally, the agreement creates a “no-subsidy zone” that would restrict the city from offering subsidies for any future hotel development. First National Center, which is beginning renovations to make way for a hotel, apartments and retail/dining, was excluded from the zone.

According to this agreement; if Omni waves their rights; another hotel developer could build on the current Cox Convention Center site. It doesn't mention a subsidy; however if another developer came on board, would they want a subsidy...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    You would think.

Cox Convention Center, which is currently the city’s main convention center, may not be used as the main convention center one year after Omni opens. The agreement restricts redevelopment as a hotel. Omni would be offered first rights to develop a hotel on the site. Additionally, the agreement creates a “no-subsidy zone” that would restrict the city from offering subsidies for any future hotel development. First National Center, which is beginning renovations to make way for a hotel, apartments and retail/dining, was excluded from the zone.

According to this agreement; if Omni waves their rights; another hotel developer could build on the current Cox Convention Center site. It doesn't mention a subsidy; however if another developer came on board, would they want a subsidy...
    Right...like that’s the only site near the convention center. There is vacant land all around.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Right...like that’s the only site near the convention center. There is vacant land all around.
    You're correct. One thing OKC doesn't lack is prime land in the core.

Blog Entries

NBA Attendance Report - 2020

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance

Blog Entries

Luguentz Dort, undrafted Free Agent after 2019 Draft

Blog Entries

Kevin Durant among four Nets players to test positive for coronavirus:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ve-coronavirus

Wish K. D. and all Covid-19 positive persons a speedy & healthy recovery.

Blog Entries

If Orlando were to host the top 16 seeds in the league in an NBA playoff.

1 - 4
    .815 Milwaukee Bucks 53 - 12
    .778 Los Angeles Lakers 49 - 14
    .719 Toronto Raptors 46 - 18
    .688 Los Angeles Clippers 44 - 20

5 - 8
    .672 Boston Celtics 43 - 21
    .662 Denver Nuggets 43 - 22
    .641 Utah Jazz 41 - 23
    .631 Miami Heat 41 - 24

9 - 12
    .625 Oklahoma City Thunder 40 - 24
    .625 Houston Rockets 40 - 24
    .600 Indiana Pacers 39 - 26
    .600 Philadelphia 76ers 39 - 26

13 - 16
    .597 Dallas Mavericks 40 - 27
    .492 Memphis Grizzlies 32 - 33
    .469 Brooklyn Nets 30 - 34
    .462 Orlando Magic 30 - 35

1 vs 16 Bucks-Magic
    2 vs 15 Lakers-Nets
    3 vs 14 Raptors-Grizzlies
    4 vs 13 Clippers-Mavericks
    5 vs 12 Celtics-76ers
    6 vs 11 Nuggets-Pacers
    7 vs 10 Jazz-Rockets
    8 vs 9 Heat-Thunder

I 100% support this group play proposal for this season and future seasons: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5...tart-world-cup

12. Default Re: National Basketball Association

I love it. I hope this is the format that they go with.

HangryHippo Guest

I also love it.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I 100% support this group play proposal for this season and future seasons: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5...tart-world-cup
    Are you fan of World Cup soccer?

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I love it. I hope this is the format that they go with.
    I don't like it at all. I don't like all teams playing in Orlando and I don't like the thunder playing the Heat.

16. Default Re: National Basketball Association

The Thunder wouldn't play the Heat necessarily. The group stage would have 5 tiers with 4 potential opponents from each tier.

That would suck for season ticket holders.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    The Thunder wouldn't play the Heat necessarily. The group stage would have 5 tiers with 4 potential opponents from each tier.
    True, NBA is in the planning stages of deciding whether to finish out a partial NBA season and/or go directly into the playoffs. If they freeze the standing and go directing into the playoffs OKC-MIAMI will open in round one as the 8th & 9th seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    I don't like it at all. I don't like all teams playing in Orlando and I don't like the thunder playing the Heat.
    I think you're talking about the 1-16 proposal which is not the one we were talking about. My post was about group stages.

Are you fan of World Cup soccer?
    Yes, but I also think group stages are a great fit to replace the NBA's first round. The 1st round can be boring sometimes with a lot of blowouts. I think using the group stages to get to the second round would be better in every season. I'd love to see them try it. For this year, since the top teams are losing homecourt advantage, I think they should be able to choose their opponents. The selection show would be must-see TV. I think there would be a real March Madness vibe to it all.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    That would suck for season ticket holders.
    I don't think having games in home cities has been under any consideration at all and there certainly won't be "fans" allowed in any normal way.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    True, NBA is in the planning stages of deciding whether to finish out a partial NBA season and/or go directly into the playoffs. If they freeze the standing and go directing into the playoffs OKC-MIAMI will open in round one as the 8th & 9th seeds.
    This is only if they chose to seed 1-16, which is still unlikely but possible. It's at least as likely the NBA retains the East-West alignment in which the Thunder would play the Jazz in the 4-5 matchup. But they could play more regular season games and the Thunder could easily fall as low as the 7 seed.

For some reason, I’m just not interested in seeing this season be finished. Just doesn’t feel right to finish it. Not during a Pandemic.

I dunno, this team was so fun to watch develop. From a ragtag group of guys at the beginning of the season that looked like they were playing to see who was going to not be on the team the next day. These same guys gelled into a TEAM in every sense if the word that was on the court ready to take over the #4 seed in the standings when the news came of Gobert's positive test. Myself, I would like to see what these guys can do in the playoffs, with the right matchups they could make a deeper run than we have seen in a few years. Don't like our chances against the Heat, nor the Lakers or Buck's, but it would still be fun to watch a closure to this season that has been so fun to watch.

Blog Entries

Woj: NBA Board of Governors
    Expected to Ratify Restart Plan at
    Thursday Vote

At least eight teams' seasons appear over, however, as Wojnarowski and ESPN's Ramona Shelburne and Zach Lowe reported the final figure is expected to be between 20 and 22.

Bleacher Report:
    https://bleacherreport.com/oklahoma-city-thunder

Blog Entries

Small-market teams urging NBA to include entire league in restart:

Near the end of the NBA's board of governors call on Friday, Oklahoma City Thunder owner Clay Bennett delivered an impassioned soliloquy on why the league and owners needed to consider the competitive and financial plights of smaller-market teams that could be left out of the season's summer resumption in Orlando, Florida -- and the potential symbolic power of all 30 teams gathering there to play as one united association.
    ESPN NBA: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ion-nba-return

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I don't think having games in home cities has been under any consideration at all and there certainly won't be "fans" allowed in any normal way.
    I thought it was changing it up for future playoffs, not just the current season. I agree if its just for the current season that may be the only way forward, but if the playoff format changes permanently to a single neutral site the fans and season ticket holders will be the ones getting shafted.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I thought it was changing it up for future playoffs, not just the current season. I agree if its just for the current season that may be the only way forward, but if the playoff format changes permanently to a single neutral site the fans and season ticket holders will be the ones getting shafted.
    No, the NBA is not considering a permanent neutral site at all. This is just a pandemic solution. That would cost them millions.

Thread Information