Widgets Magazine
Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1109

Thread: National Basketball Association

Default Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    This won't happen. It's not like the team is going to have to pay interest on $1 billion of debt service. Nothing will change expense-wise but inflation and different operating costs.
    lol OK ..

and by the way the ticket price jumps have already started ..

2. Default Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    lol OK ..

and by the way the ticket price jumps have already started ..
    I mean it could also be that the team is a playoff and contender now instead of a lottery pick team. Probably a mix of both. My shared season tickets went down actually as my section pricing changed.

4. Default Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Players must have *really* hated being in Indy. Big markets getting it only now. Sucks to see really.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    not what that says and likely not the reality ..

salt lake is SMALLER then OKC and had the all star game last year ..

6. Default Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    not what that says and likely not the reality ..

salt lake is SMALLER then OKC and had the all star game last year ..
    I believe they got approved when the requirements were less. This is the new requirements moving forward. Cleveland or Indianapolis also wouldn't qualify but Indianapolis got theirs under the 2017 rules which were less than they are now.

It's almost guaranteed that players complained about having to go to Indianapolis for an all star game. It was snowy and for young guys not a lot to do. I'm sure they want it in a warmer place or a big place like NYC. Who knows and hopefully they can relax it a bit to have an all star game at smaller markets. I always liked that the NBA did it in new places unlike the other major leagues that tend to only be in a few places.

2025 and 2026 are both in California. I guess we will know soon who gets 2027.

7. Default Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Players must have *really* hated being in Indy. Big markets getting it only now. Sucks to see really.
    But that's not what the article said..? It was instead what I have said for years on this site when people bring up the All Star game. The issue is one of facilities and logistics. When people on this site are fantasizing about the All-Star game it is pretty evident to me that they almost certainly have never attended one. For the record neither have I (though I have been to NBA games in a half-dozen cities besides OKC), but I HAVE spoken at length on this topic with the folks who would be involved in OKC, including with the Thunder, at the City of OKC, the Oklahoma City Convention and Visitors Bureau and others.

Many of the people I've spoken with are the ones who have facilitated our past playoffs, which themselves require vastly more planning, logistics, media, accommodations and transport for teams, NBA personnel, media and others. Some have ALSO been to All-Star games with NBA executive personnel just to gain an understanding of playoff and All-Star Game logistics. Playoffs past the first round are massive undertakings that are quite different from regular season games, and All-Star games are far, FAR more needy and complex than even the NBA Finals.

First of all, the All-Star Game is not just a game. It is a massive industry trade show (hence the article's mention of convention space). Vendors like Nike by themselves require convention space in the tens of thousands if not 100K for a single vendor. As stated, we don't have that space. As stated in the article, there must also be far more hotel rooms than we currently have, all within a ten minute walk of the arena. And a large percentage of those must be defined as luxury. We've closed that gap considerably since the Finals in 2012 - when the NBA had to make massive concessions regarding what type of hotel league personnel had to stay in - but still are nowhere close to the luxury rooms requirements.

Then there is the travel. Again, we've improved in recent years, but our number of direct flights is still far below the league's requirements, and international flights are nonexistent. I don't think folks understand how many international visitors come to the All Star Game. Those aren't player stipulations; most arrive via team or other charters, etc.. Instead it's about league personnel, media and fans.

And does everyone understand that ASG events take place on multiple courts, in multiple buildings? Did anyone watch the events this year that featured the LED floor? The skills competition, the 3-point contest, the slam dunk competition and the shooting matchup between Stephen Curry and Sabrina Ionescu all took place NOT in Gainbridge Fieldhouse, but Lucas Oil Stadium, where the Colts play. All of Saturday's events were NOT in the home arena for the ASG. This is the way it always works, and OKC would not have a viable solution for this. Before you say Paycom, please understand that it will be demolished very quickly after the new arena is online.

One of the things not talked about in that article is a proliferation of nightclubs and other nighttime entertainment. Vendors and others host large parties in venues all over the ASG city throughout the week of the event. OKC doesn't yet have enough venues that would meet the criteria.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but just as the mayor says in that article, even with a world-class NBA building we are still light years from hosting. It's not a player thing. It's a very simple business decision, based on how huge the event itself has become.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    But that's not what the article said..? It was instead what I have said for years on this site when people bring up the All Star game. The issue is one of facilities and logistics. When people on this site are fantasizing about the All-Star game it is pretty evident to me that they almost certainly have never attended one. For the record neither have I (though I have been to NBA games in a half-dozen cities besides OKC), but I HAVE spoken at length on this topic with the folks who would be involved in OKC, including with the Thunder, at the City of OKC, the Oklahoma City Convention and Visitors Bureau and others.

Many of the people I've spoken with are the ones who have facilitated our past playoffs, which themselves require vastly more planning, logistics, media, accommodations and transport for teams, NBA personnel, media and others. Some have ALSO been to All-Star games with NBA executive personnel just to gain an understanding of playoff and All-Star Game logistics. Playoffs past the first round are massive undertakings that are quite different from regular season games, and All-Star games are far, FAR more needy and complex than even the NBA Finals.

First of all, the All-Star Game is not just a game. It is a massive industry trade show (hence the article's mention of convention space). Vendors like Nike by themselves require convention space in the tens of thousands if not 100K for a single vendor. As stated, we don't have that space. As stated in the article, there must also be far more hotel rooms than we currently have, all within a ten minute walk of the arena. And a large percentage of those must be defined as luxury. We've closed that gap considerably since the Finals in 2012 - when the NBA had to make massive concessions regarding what type of hotel league personnel had to stay in - but still are nowhere close to the luxury rooms requirements.

Then there is the travel. Again, we've improved in recent years, but our number of direct flights is still far below the league's requirements, and international flights are nonexistent. I don't think folks understand how many international visitors come to the All Star Game. Those aren't player stipulations; most arrive via team or other charters, etc.. Instead it's about league personnel, media and fans.

And does everyone understand that ASG events take place on multiple courts, in multiple buildings? Did anyone watch the events this year that featured the LED floor? The skills competition, the 3-point contest, the slam dunk competition and the shooting matchup between Stephen Curry and Sabrina Ionescu all took place NOT in Gainbridge Fieldhouse, but Lucas Oil Stadium, where the Colts play. All of Saturday's events were NOT in the home arena for the ASG. This is the way it always works, and OKC would not have a viable solution for this. Before you say Paycom, please understand that it will be demolished very quickly after the new arena is online.

One of the things not talked about in that article is a proliferation of nightclubs and other nighttime entertainment. Vendors and others host large parties in venues all over the ASG city throughout the week of the event. OKC doesn't yet have enough venues that would meet the criteria.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but just as the mayor says in that article, even with a world-class NBA building we are still light years from hosting. It's not a player thing. It's a very simple business decision, based on how huge the event itself has become.
    while i do agree with most of this ..

last year in salt lake city .. pretty much ALL of the events and nights were at the Jazz arena

I don't Salt Lake would qualify for it under the new parameters. Their infrastructure is pretty good for a city of that size, but I'm not sure it meets all the requirements. Looks like their convention center is under the 650k SF requirement (not sure if it has to be contiguous) and there are only five countries served non-stop and most flights are to Mexican resort cities. Not sure if 25 international flights means 25 countries, or just 25 flights period.

I saw that Minneapolis would no longer qualify and Milwaukee is working on asking for exemptions. I'm sure there are a few other NBA markets that don't meet the new standards, as well.

It definitely sounds like it's going to be in major international cities going forward,

Given the requirements, unless the goalposts continue to move out, I think there is still a slight chance we host an one sometime after 2030.

Perhaps there may be a chance in the 2029-2030 season, if the new arena is complete, that a decision is made to retain Paycom for an additional year to alleviate the facility limits, allowing for demo after the all star games. Surely the possible tax revenue would have this to at least be a thought, unfortunately the airline requirements look to be the most unattainable aspect of the rules. With Will Rogers being in the central US, and DFW being just a ~40 min flight away, is there even a desire/push to add direct international flights here?

Quote Originally Posted by retrospective View Post
    unfortunately the airline requirements look to be the most unattainable aspect of the rules.
    I agree, It probably is the most unattainable, but OKC still would need:

-About 150,000 square feet of additional convention space
    -Probably 30-50% more hotel rooms in and around downtown, depending on how close to NBA All-Star events the NBA is counting rooms
    -And 3 5-Star Class hotels, of which there are currently none. For perspective, Minneapolis, which is about middle of the pack as far as NBA market size only has 1 five star hotel, as does Indianapolis, which just hosted.

To make a bid for the event in the early 2030s, most of that would likely have to already be in the works, and I'm not aware of movement on any those fronts.

Blog Entries

NBA Re: National Basketball Association

Blog Entries

Speaking of the recent NBA All Star activities, IMO just wasn't impressed with the activities to invest so much money into acquiring the NBA All Star Game & Events.

Agree, we need to double OKC's hotel room count and work to attract more events (collectively) that would be just as impactful as the NBA All Star Game.

Blog Entries

After Thunder's 107-100 win over Miami Heat, Oklahoma City takes a half game lead over Minnesota in the Western Conference;

NBA Standings: https://www.espn.com/nba/standings

Blog Entries

Mark Daigneault Earns High Praise From One of NBA's Best Head Coaches:

Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...8defa0b&ei=162

16. Default Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Speaking of the recent NBA All Star activities, IMO just wasn't impressed with the activities to invest so much money into acquiring the NBA All Star Game & Events.

Agree, we need to double OKC's hotel room count and work to attract more events (collectively) that would be just as impactful as the NBA All Star Game.
    After watching the crime activities the event caused a few years ago in Denver, l agree it really may not be worth the expense and trouble. There is just so much more involved in hosting the event than just the game.

After watching the crime activities the event caused a few years ago in Denver, l agree it really may not be worth the expense and trouble. There is just so much more involved in hosting the event than just the game.
    I don't think Denver has hosted the All Star game since 2005.

There were some shootings in downtown Denver last year after the parade. Like the shooting in OKC during the finals in 2012, they weren't related to the basketball events.

18. Default Re: National Basketball Association

It was in 2005 and between the drugs, the guns and prostitution that came with it, it was more a pain-in-the-rump. Do that today and those problems would be multiplied.

Blog Entries

I was in Rome a few years back. There were 250’000 pilgrims from all over the world who attended the service at the Vatican. I understand there were some murders in Rome at the same time. Must be related.

Playoffs around the corner. What does the city need to spruce up before the Playoffs? If OKC makes a deep run where should TNT set up? We didn't have Scissortail park last time we were in the playoff. I'm sure they wouldn't use the stage already there. Is there enough room on that corner to have the arena and the scissortail feather in one picture. Should TNT set up where they used too on Reno?

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: National Basketball Association

Western Conference Current Top Four Seed, March 11, 2024

1. Oklahoma City Thunder . . . 45-19 .703
    2. Denver Nuggets. . . . . . . . . . 44-20 .688 - 1
    3. Minnesota Timberwolves. . 44-21 .667 - 1.5
    4. Los Angeles Clippers. . . . . . 41-22 .651 - 3.5

22. Default Re: National Basketball Association

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Western Conference Current Top Four Seed, March 11, 2024

1. Oklahoma City Thunder . . . 45-19 .703
    2. Denver Nuggets. . . . . . . . . . 44-20 .688 - 1
    3. Minnesota Timberwolves. . 44-21 .667 - 1.5
    4. Los Angeles Clippers. . . . . . 41-22 .651 - 3.5

I don't really keep up but I've heard the next handful of games should be easily winnable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I don't really keep up but I've heard the next handful of games should be easily winnable.
    Should Probably go 4-1 in our next 5. With the tie breaker vs the Clippers I don't see us falling past 3 and with Towns out for Minnesota 1 or 2 seed likely

24. Default Re: National Basketball Association

We have 18 games left. I would see maybe 3 or 4 losses there. A few back to backs and will drop a few when we shouldn't

Blog Entries

Wednesday, March 13, 2024:

American Airlines Center:
    Dallas Mavericks 109 vs. Golden State Warriors 99 - Luka Doncic injured hamstring--left in 4th quarter DNR.

Mavs next opponent: March 14 - OKC Thunder/Paycom Center 9:00 p.m. - TNT

Thread Information