Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Development on Sooner Rd. between 44th and 59th?

Mid-Del Development on Sooner Rd. between 44th and 59th?

I hope this is the right place to post this...i didn't see it anywhere else, and although TECHNICALLY i believe the location is an OKC address, c'mon...its Del City.

So, whats going in on the east side of Sooner Rd. between the apartment complex and and the storage facility? its a decent size lot with a lot of dirt being moved. I told my wife its likely ANOTHER apartment complex but we would be ECSTATIC to find out if its a grocery store!

please say CREST, please say CREST, please say CREST, lol.

We live off of Sooner just south of I-240 and we ALL want a grocery store somewhere near...i know a neighbor who is harassing Crest with emails about locating nearby, but I'm not sure we have enough population to warrant it. Even an Aldi would be better than nothing!

Default Re: Development on Sooner Rd. between 44th and 59th?

Call wally world. They seem to be putting their neighborhood markets everywhere.

3. Default Re: Development on Sooner Rd. between 44th and 59th?

I don't know what it is but I'd say I'm abouit 99.9% right when I say that it's not a Crest or a Walmart.

I had heard recently that Aldi was looking to open more locations but I don't have much knowledge about Aldi.

4. Default Re: Development on Sooner Rd. between 44th and 59th?

I've been wondering about this too. It's a good-sized piece of land that they're working on.

Some real estate company called MVG Development from Denver, CO bought the land under the LLC of "Del City Investments". So that doesn't really help identify anything at all because they do strip centers and single tenant buildings (and retirement homes). I'm guessing that it's not a retirement home, but hey, i could be wrong. I dont think the lot is quite big enough for one large enough to be profitable. It's not a very good location for a restaurant, so i'm guessing either a little strip center (oh goodie lets get another craptacular strip center) or a single tenant that we wont be excited about. I'm going to guess not Aldi only because they dont usually build that close together since the Air Depot one is only like 5 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I've been wondering about this too. It's a good-sized piece of land that they're working on.

Some real estate company called MVG Development from Denver, CO bought the land under the LLC of "Del City Investments". So that doesn't really help identify anything at all because they do strip centers and single tenant buildings (and retirement homes). I'm guessing that it's not a retirement home, but hey, i could be wrong. I dont think the lot is quite big enough for one large enough to be profitable. It's not a very good location for a restaurant, so i'm guessing either a little strip center (oh goodie lets get another craptacular strip center) or a single tenant that we wont be excited about. I'm going to guess not Aldi only because they dont usually build that close together since the Air Depot one is only like 5 miles away.
    I think its a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market with a gas station out front.

6. Default Re: Development on Sooner Rd. between 44th and 59th?

Hm, while I would have preferred it be closer to 240, that wouldn't be terrible. People in the area have been wanting SOMETHING in the grocery world to come over there. Seems an odd location though for a market. And the old food lion is just around the corner...I wonder why they didn't take it. it's not like the current owners wouldn't be ecstatic to get rid of the place with the crappy occupancy the thing has had since Food Lion left.

Quote Originally Posted by easternobserver View Post
    I think its a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market with a gas station out front.

Anything more concrete than a hunch?

it seems odd to me that Wal Mart would build a grocery store 2.5 miles away from a very profitable Supercenter...a Supercenter I practically refuse to patronize, btw. But thats another story for another day.

If it had been further south down Sooner Rd, that would make a little more sense.
    Either way, we NEED something, and while IF IT IS A WALMART I will likely STILL go do my big shopping at Crest, having SOMETHING nearby will be better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by narrowexpanded View Post
    Anything more concrete than a hunch?

it seems odd to me that Wal Mart would build a grocery store 2.5 miles away from a very profitable Supercenter...a Supercenter I practically refuse to patronize, btw. But thats another story for another day.

If it had been further south down Sooner Rd, that would make a little more sense.
    Either way, we NEED something, and while IF IT IS A WALMART I will likely STILL go do my big shopping at Crest, having SOMETHING nearby will be better than nothing.
    Nothing too solid. I had been chasing down a half solid rumor that it was a market entry location from Fresh Market, but something about the stormwater permit and the developer's past history with Neighborhood Markets pointed me to Wal-Mart. That and the gas being permitted at the same time...

It's a 40,000 square foot "Generic Grocery Store" according to the building permit.

The address is 4900 S. Sooner in OKC.

Here is a site plan. At 41,000+ SF this is a little larger than a typical Walmart Neighborhood Market and also the developers don't seem to be Walmart.

I called the name on the building permit (a co. based in Dallas) and they were very secretive about the name of the grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by narrowexpanded View Post
    ... it seems odd to me that Wal Mart would build a grocery store 2.5 miles away from a very profitable Supercenter...
    Here in Norman, a third Wally super center was recently before council for necessary zoning changes. It will be on the south side, just past where Hwys 9 & 77 intersect. The new center is less than 3 miles from an existing one, and there is a WM Neighborhood Market skated to go in between these two super centers.

This will be the second Neighborhood market for WM in Norman, in addition to a Sams and two SC's with a 3rd on its way.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here is a site plan. At 41,000+ SF this is a little larger than a typical Walmart Neighborhood Market and also the developers don't seem to be Walmart.

I called the name on the building permit (a co. based in Dallas) and they were very secretive about the name of the grocery store.

Tom Thumb?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Tom Thumb?
    Its big for a neighborhood market. That said, other signs point there. The drive through on the north side (and the strange parking configuration across the drive through lane), the single entrance and single call out for ADA parking, the minimalist fuel island....

The sprinkler contractor did end up submitting plans titling it as a fresh market. Clearly it can't be fresh market as in "The Fresh Market", the national chain recently opened in Tulsa and recently announced for Norman and Edmond. The site plan just doesn't work for that...so I'm chalking the sprinkler contractor permit title up to typical obfuscation out of Bentonville...

14. Default Re: Development on Sooner Rd. between 44th and 59th?

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I don't know what it is but I'd say I'm abouit 99.9% right when I say that it's not a Crest or a Walmart.

I had heard recently that Aldi was looking to open more locations but I don't have much knowledge about Aldi.
    Ok, I'm revising my estimate from post #3 on that not being a Neighborhood Market..... Switch that from being 99.9% sure it wasn't to 99.9% sure it is and I'm revising my percentage that it is not a Crest to 100.1%.

Square Footage and the Murphy station layout look very similar to some other site plans I have seen recently.

EXCEPT this is a build-to-suit by a Denver-based company who has no prior involvement with Walmart, and WM really likes to own their own property.

It does look like a WMNM but this is all very strange.

16. Default Re: Development on Sooner Rd. between 44th and 59th?

EXCEPT this is a build-to-suit by a Denver-based company who has no prior involvement with Walmart, and WM really likes to own their own property.

It does look like a WMNM but this is all very strange.
    I agree the property part is strange but that drawing is almost identical to the site plan I looked at for another WMNM being built here..

Only other company I know of doing a similar Fresh Market concept is Dollar General but I don't have access to any of their site plans to compare. I have driven by the one in Tishomingo but it did not have a filling station.

I wanted to add that in all the various permits, great care has been taken to redact the name of the grocery tenant. That's very atypical of Walmart as well.

Still, it is very likely them but there are reasons to believe it may be someone else.

I wanted to add that in all the various permits, great care has been taken to redact the name of the grocery tenant. That's very atypical of Walmart as well.

Still, it is very likely them but there are reasons to believe it may be someone else.
    I totally agree with Pete. Something feels off.

MVG does do Wal-Mart work. They are tied to Neighborhood Market projects in Richmond, Roanoke, Jacksonville and elsewhere. They also do tons of Dollar General work.

Here is something interesting....DG is playing around with gas at the new market prototypes. Dollar General Introduces New Fueling Station | Dollar General Newsroom

A DG market is less than 20,000 sq ft though, so that's not likely....

What still gets me is the pharmacy drive through....and the size of the store with the one entrance and striping clearly set up for single user.....

19. Default Re: Development on Sooner Rd. between 44th and 59th?

Fire Permit shows Fresh Market Grocery and i've only seen one in Tulsa.. maybe an expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    Fire Permit shows Fresh Market Grocery and i've only seen them in Tulsa.. maybe an expansion?
    Typical size for a Fresh Market is 21,000 SF; this is twice that size.

21. Default Re: Development on Sooner Rd. between 44th and 59th?

Fresh Market doesn't seem the type to get into the gas business either.

Crest pilot store for a new small footprint store? HAHA, no.

Im betting it's a WMNM too. Or some dinky Homeland brand that will be doomed to fail since its Homeland and they always eventually fail.

This is good news. That is a very underserved part of the metro and it will be of great benefit for those who live in that area to have a grocery store. Especially for those in the subdivisions on S Sooner Rd south of I-240 who for so long have had to drive to the S 29th and Sunnyland Homeland or the Moore Wal-Mart Supercenter as their closest options. As for the grocery operator at this location, I don't see how it could be anybody but Wal-Mart. It wouldn't be Crest because they make sure their stores are all a good distance from each other. I doubt an upscale grocer like The Fresh Market would choose that location to move into OKC nor would a new to market operator.

MFracas84 Guest

I am very excited to see any grocery store being built there.

MFracas84 Guest

What about Dierbergs Grocery stores? I see that one of the applicants is from Chesterfield, MO and this grocery store is based out of that place. Dierbergs - Grocery, Floral, Recipe and Classes - Missouri & Illinois Grocer

Edit: Never mind. I see that was the construction company called Brinkman Construction.
    Last edited by MFracas84; 08-23-2014 at 11:41 AM. Reason: New information

I saw a set of plans listed as "MVG Neighborhood Market" that is also being built in Lawton. These plans were just as vague however I did find that on the exterior and interior paint colors this store shares the same paint colors as a Walmart Express that is being built in Wewoka. The font on the pharmacy sign also appears to be the same and the typical used by Walmart.

I would have to agree with others that I'm 99% sure it will be a Walmart just don't know why it is a big secret as most Walmart plans I have seen for the state usually scream Walmart.

Thread Information