Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Aldi

Default Re: Aldi

If Aldi does go in, I hope it won't hurt Eley's Foods at 30th and May too much. When we lived in Linwood, Eley's was our go-to for light grocery shopping. It's a nice, clean, friendly neighborhood store.

Now if a grocery went in and caused disruption to our *current* (and reluctant) go-to store, the Homeland on 18th and Classen/Western, can't say I'd be too disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    If Aldi does go in, I hope it won't hurt Eley's Foods at 30th and May too much. When we lived in Linwood, Eley's was our go-to for light grocery shopping. It's a nice, clean, friendly neighborhood store.

Now if a grocery went in and caused disruption to our *current* (and reluctant) go-to store, the Homeland on 18th and Classen/Western, can't say I'd be too disappointed!
    I pop into Eley's to pick up things as well. it's a nice go to when I don't need but a few items and don't want to go to Crest.

Aldi planning Mayfair location in Northwest OKC

German grocer Aldi has filed a $2.765 million building permit to construct a store in the Mayfair shopping Center at NW 50th and May.

Plans call for the demolition of the center building on the west side of May and to build a new store on that vacated spot.

After CVS relocated to the corner of 50th and May, the shopping center has systematically cleared the 31,000 square foot building and it is now completely vacant.

Aldi is planning to erect a prototypical store of approximately 19,000 square feet and similar to the other locations in the metro area.

The rest of Mayfair will remain relatively unchanged, with tenants Michael's, Steinmart and other smaller retailers and services.

The deal is yet another step in the rapidly developing grocery competition that has seen the Oklahoma City area add Sprouts, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Natural Grocers, Uptown Market and Aldi itself in just the last few years. Additionally, super grocery Winco is now under construction in Moore and will soon start in Midwest City, NW 39th and Portland and N. Pennsylvania near Memorial.

Walmart also continues to expand in attempt to maintain it's sizable market share through super centers and neighborhood markets.

Aldi currently operates almost 10,000 stores in 18 countries including around 1,400 locations in the United States and 9 in the OKC area.

So happy to see this official!. I shop that Aldi that's on west 23rd but this one will be closer and can hit sams on the way back. That side of Mayfair is just sad and needs some life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    So happy to see this official!. I shop that Aldi that's on west 23rd but this one will be closer and can hit sams on the way back. That side of Mayfair is just sad and needs some life.
    I agree but will be sad to see the old center torn down... Although in fairness it's been remodeled to the point it bares little resemblance to the original 1950's structure.

But they will draw in a bunch of traffic and help the other tenants in Mayfair.

Once Winco goes in, living close to 50 Penn means I will have close access to that Winco at 39th & Portland, Sam's, Aldi, Target, Sprouts (63rd and May), Whole Foods and Trader Joes. All within 2 miles! Not too shabby given our ostensibly Walmart dominated grocery market. And I happen to love that Sam's even though I avoid the rest of the Walmart offerings like the plague.

I am trying to place the one on 59th street but can't picture ehere it is at. I was driving down 240 last night looking at the old homeland building at 240 and May. They took off about a third of the building to make way for the new On Cue. I was thinking as I looked at it that it would be the perfect size now for Aldi or Trader Joes

yes I agree on it being torn down but its just been so sad for so long that it needs some new life. Hoping the change on the west will keep the East open and perhaps even give it some new life.

I am with you I avoid wal-mart at all cost. I wasn't even shopping Sams until the new one opened and then joined and enjoy it. the neighborhood market on 23rd is closer to me than Sams or Crest or Aldi but I would rather take a beating than to walk in it.

Yeah, I go into that Walmart NM on 23rd every once in a while out of necessity. That will completely cease when Winco opens.

There is still a pretty good grocery store desert inside the I-44 loop on the north side.

yah I go west on 23rd and hit Crest or Eley's on May depending on what I need to avoid NM.
    but the 23rd street construction West of the I-44 Loop makes that tough these days. I always forget until its too late that I should go 36th not 23rd.

Great news since I am a loyal Aldi shopper and live close by. I hope the new store will have additional space for future wine and beer inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Great news since I am a loyal Aldi shopper and live close by. I hope the new store will have additional space for future wine and beer inventory.
    The building permit was for 19,000 SF where their other stores in OKC are all around 15,000.

So, that's probably the reason.

Also, interesting to note they dropped that building permit the day after SQ 792 passed. They will be opening about the time the new law goes into effect.

Also will be interesting to see if this encourages more grocers to open in OKC.

We just contracted with them for a store in one of the Carolinas. I had never heard of them before that, so it definitely bears watching.

If OKC did much current planning, Aldi is actually a really easy retailer to work with on the site plans. They frequently invert their site plan to hide the parking, even in suburban locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Walmart also continues to expand in attempt to maintain it's sizable market share through super centers and neighborhood markets.
    Yeah, and they are now trying, yet again, to go forward with the Edmond location at Covell and Coltrane.

The plans show the 48th & May Aldi will be 19,034 square feet. All the other area stores are between 14,982 and 16,568.

I'm quite sure the additional square footage is for wine and beer. They filed their building permit the day after the vote to change the liquor laws.

16. Default Re: Aldi

I guess I don't see why people think Aldi is nice. I went to the one in Norman once to grab a lime while I was out. The place was very very small with very few groceries. They also only had one checkout person on a Saturday so the line was very long.

Maybe the one in Norman is an outlier?

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I guess I don't see why people think Aldi is nice. I went to the one in Norman once to grab a lime while I was out. The place was very very small with very few groceries. They also only had one checkout person on a Saturday so the line was very long.

They are all the same.

I thought the exact same thing after my first visit.

They have great prices and lots of unique items. You have to take your time and compare prices, then it will make more sense.

There is definitely a learning curve.. I remember firs time I went i wasn't impressed.. then gave it another shot and went through each isle and shopped and compared and then I was with it. However I am not a fan of their produce or meats but the rest I like a lot.

I rather like their produce department. Like everything else in the store. They don't have everything but they do have some good prices. I am canning right now. I did pickup a week or so ago pineapples for 79 cents each. Cranberries are 99 cents and sweat potatoes are 3 lbs for 69 cents. Russet potatoes are $1.29 for 10 lbs. I just buy what is a good deal and fill in at Sprouts.

I'm so-so on their produce. My usual experience is that it doesn't seem to stay fresh as long as other places. I've been trying hard on cutting down on waste, so I'm meal planning and only buying for 3 days at a time (so buy food today that I will cook tonight, tomorrow, and the next day) so it's been less of an issue. But I'm shy about buying produce there if it's going to sit in my house longer than that.

Avocados though, those things are a killer deal at Aldi and we always pick them up.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post

It's not always the best store for a quick "in and out" trip, and you can easily get caught up in a line. But I think they are usually fairly fast at moving through the line, especially if the people have been there before and know to swipe their cards and hit all the buttons before the cashier is even done.

And everything you experienced is the reason why prices are so low.

The place is small: less cost for heating and AC, less cost for construction, savings that get passed down to you.
    Few groceries: they only stock their store brands (with a few exception), which are savings that get passed down to you. They also don't have any waste from products that are not in high demand, so they have less waste in the end where they are paying for food that ends up in the dumpster, which again are savings for you.
    Only one cashier: they are not paying multiple cashiers to stay in an empty line, and the cashier that is there will be stocking the shelves when nobody is checking out. Savings that are passed on to you.

For me, and I think for many others, Aldi is not my only store. When I make my shopping trip I usually hit Aldi first and buy canned foods, boxed foods, eggs, dairy, lunch meat, ground beef, and some produce. Then I hit Sprouts for produce, and some meat that I don't pick up at Aldi. And then I usually hit up Target for paper products, household products, pet/baby supplies, spices, and other things. I use the cartwheel app and have the Target debit card for those purchases.

It's easier to just buy everything at Target to begin with, but I feel like the savings are worth it and I feel like I get better quality food this way as well.

Aldi filed for a $1.2 million building permit to add about 4,500 square feet to it's Penn and Memorial location.

You can bet this has to do with the liquor law changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Aldi filed for a $1.2 million building permit to add about 4,500 square feet to it's Penn and Memorial location.

You can bet this has to do with the liquor law changes.
    Nice! That would be very handy, indeed.

I had mentioned their Mayfair location was about 5,000 SF larger than the others in OKC.

Will be interesting to see if they expand all their area locations.

Yukon got a bit boxed in. Sonic to the south, the construction to the west is for a collision center.

Oh well.

Thread Information