Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Aldi

Default Re: Aldi

For how many years has Aldi been this mysterious “newcomer” in the news now? They’ve been in the US since the 70s and have been expanding for quite a while.

But they have only recently become pretty aggressive in their US expansion.

I had personally never shopped there until recently.

Norman Re: Aldi

Aldi is adding another location to Norman at 3101 Classen Blvd which is South of Hwy 9 and on the East side of Hwy 77.

I recently shopped at the Yukon Aldi and they have converted a cash register (or two) to a self checkout that has four self-serve lanes with an additional fifth self-serve checkout on the wall next to the sacking table. I hope that the OKC Aldi in Mayfair gets the same treatment.

Yay because who doesn’t love paying the same price for food on top of getting to do extra work like check yourself out!

7. Default Re: Aldi

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yay because who doesn’t love paying the same price for food on top of getting to do extra work like check yourself out!
    Checking yourself out is much better than having a grumpy cashier that obviously would rather be anywhere else. Which is pretty much the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Checking yourself out is much better than having a grumpy cashier that obviously would rather be anywhere else. Which is pretty much the norm.
    You might be correct about some stores but the Homeland I shop at on N. May has had mostly the same checkers for years. They are always very friendly and accommodating. I never use the self checkout there.

9. Default Re: Aldi

^^^^^^^^^^
    Same with Homeland at 18th and Classen. I know those people and they know me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I recently shopped at the Yukon Aldi and they have converted a cash register (or two) to a self checkout that has four self-serve lanes with an additional fifth self-serve checkout on the wall next to the sacking table. I hope that the OKC Aldi in Mayfair gets the same treatment.
    The store in Edmond got 7 self check outs.

11. Default Re: Aldi

Glad to see positive Homeland posts. And I'm not surprised. The one on N. Rockwell is the same way. They really try for an employee friendly workplace and I believe that shows.
    Walmart and more often anymore places like Home Depot and Lowe's I use self check to avoid cashiers.

Self checkout makes less sense for Aldi considering how quickly and efficiently the standard checkout process is with even a single cashier.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dhpersonal View Post
    Self checkout makes less sense for Aldi considering how quickly and efficiently the standard checkout process is with even a single cashier.
    I love Aldi, but half the time I go to the one on May there is a single cashier and the line is halfway back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I love Aldi, but half the time I go to the one on May there is a single cashier and the line is halfway back.
    Same here. It was more often like that than not so we stopped going in there altogether. We would try and just "run in" for a quick thing or two to fix dinner and would end up standing in line forever.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    The store in Edmond got 7 self check outs.
    Good to know. I rarely go to Edmond but when I do dropping by that location never hurts.

16. Default Re: Aldi

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Same here. It was more often like that than not so we stopped going in there altogether. We would try and just "run in" for a quick thing or two to fix dinner and would end up standing in line forever.
    Hence the usefulness of self check lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I guess I have just been lucky the last few times I went there then. They didn't have more than two parties in line the last like 3-4 times I went.

I have never seen more than one checker at that May Avenue store.

I usually only buy a few things and I'm always stuck behind several people with huge cartfuls. I would certainly shop in there more frequently if they had self-checkout.

Given Aldi's bare-bones, cost-cutting approach, self-checkout makes total sense.

19. Default Re: Aldi

Mostly shop at Aldi on Sunday morning between 9am-10am (Expressway or Penn) and it never takes long during those times.

I am in Aldi one to two times a week at May. They usually have one checker but open a 2nd if line is too long. however even with the line long i never really wait long at all. they are quick! i also find most people let people with a few items cut them if they have a full cart. one of the things I love about Aldi actually is i see a lot of good will to other shoppers. giving each other carts without exchanging quarters and letting them cut lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    one of the things I love about Aldi actually is i see a lot of good will to other shoppers. giving each other carts without exchanging quarters and letting them cut lines.
    It seems every time I go, I end up helping someone figure out the quarter/cart thing.

22. Default Re: Aldi

I just wish, like most things, that Aldi would be where they were prepandemic. Their veggies have been subpar and the stores have been empty or a sh$t show on cleanliness/organization (does not matter the location). I understand they are probably doing more with less.

Yeah their vegetables in particular have been tasting like a Portland, Maine’s fisherman’s ass. Not sure what the deal is with that.

The main issue I have with Aldi in the US is comparing them the stores in Germany.....the original German version is much nicer. That said, we've generally found some pretty good deals and good food even if the US stores are more like Dollar General in comparison.

I find I can rarely get everything on my grocery list at an Aldi, which sucks, because the prices are great. Their produce has rarely been above mediocre, and they frequently just don't carry things available at every other grocery store. I'll run in there if I need like one or two things, though, because I love browsing the aisle where they put all the random stuff.

Thread Information