Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Aldi

Default Re: Aldi

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Aldi filed for a $1.2 million building permit to add about 4,500 square feet to it's Penn and Memorial location.

You can bet this has to do with the liquor law changes.
    Possibly, but I think that they're expanding not just for those alcohol SKUs but for many other products that they don't already carry on a regular basis. The company is growing rapidly and as they become more mainstream, customers are going to require them to carry more than they currently do. Not just different products but different sizes of the same products already in their stores. I've been in many Aldi stores in probably 10 different states, with the majority of them carrying alcohol. None of the stores needed anything even remotely close to 4500 sq ft for their alcohol section. We're talking maybe 20 ft max of 3 tiered shelving to cover their beer and wine selection. But I may be wrong and a lot could've changed regarding their alcohol assortment over the past several years.

If I was a regular Aldi shopper, I would hope the newer and bigger stores are for refrigerated produce displays. That was a big thing missing back then.

I hope the Edmond store also expands. If you look at the European stores, they have a fresh bakery. Is it too much to hope for? They also need to expand their fresh meat selection. If they would double their fresh meat, add refrigerated produce and add the usual beer and wine selections, there would still be space. I see that they are adding more healthy choices of foods.

Got a confirmation that this expansion is primarily for refrigerated produce and increasing their fresh meat selection. They are also adding some new items as well. And once beer & alcohol comes into grocery here, they'll have plenty of room for it. I think this a game changer for them as it'll help with the quality of their produce. I know I've heard complaints from people saying their produce goes bad pretty quickly, so the extra refrigeration time should help immensely with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Got a confirmation that this expansion is primarily for refrigerated produce and increasing their fresh meat selection. They are also adding some new items as well. And once beer & alcohol comes into grocery here, they'll have plenty of room for it. I think this a game changer for them as it'll help with the quality of their produce. I know I've heard complaints from people saying their produce goes bad pretty quickly, so the extra refrigeration time should help immensely with this issue.
    Nice! We were in Aldi this weekend, and I can usually find a really good deal on some of their produce, but I haven't bought much of their meat. Expanded selection is always a good thing.

Building permit to expand the store at 10th & Cemetary (Yukon area) by 1,200 SF.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Building permit to expand the store at 10th & Cemetary (Yukon area) by 1,200 SF.
    Do you know where? Is it reconfiguration of the interior, or are they planning to add on to the building? To the west is the collision center, to the south is Sonic, to the east is a small area of parking, and to the north is the bulk of the parking. I think there is an area to the west they could expand out to, if they reroute the delivery trucks to go to the back (south) of the store. I believe that's where the delivery dock is right now.

Also, while I'm asking questions, do you think this is in response to new liquor laws, or just "hey, this location is busier than we thought it would be, we should expand"?

Not sure of where they will expanding the building.

Also not sure about the liquor law change other than they typically do have a liquor section and they seem to be expanding all of the OKC-area stores.

8. Default Re: Aldi

I visited the Penn & Memorial Store yesterday while it is under expansion construction. I was amazed how large the new store is now. The store had much longer isles than any store I've seen in Oklahoma. There were also more shoppers than I've ever seen at that particular Aldi which is across Pennsylvania from a large Sam's Club and a large Walmart.

More than ever, I'm looking forward to the new Aldi store in the Mayfair shopping center at Northwest 48th and May. It will only be half mile from my home.

9. Default Re: Aldi

The employees at the MWC mentioned that they will be closed for 2 weeks some time in the next couple of months for an expansion. Sounds like it's something all of the Aldi's in town will rotate through. I'm betting the liqour law has something to do with it, but they're so busy anyway, it makes sense to expand for simple stock purposes. Sounded like it was going to be a fairly large expansion, given the small natuer of the stores to begin with.

Anyone know what the square footage of an OK store is compared to that of one in a state with in-grocer wine sales?

I once found an GPS enabled inflation valve for the series 1972 Goodyear blimps on sale for $179.35! Oh and a bottle of fizzies for the kids that were alka seltzer colored with a yellow sharpie.

Spoke with a manager at the Yukon location, and she said she doesn't have ALL the details yet (specifically asked about which direction the store would be expanding, that's in the part she doesn't know yet) but the plan is to start May 8th, it will take 15 weeks and they plan to stay open during that time (though there may be a brief period where they will have to close), and that yes, all the OKC stores are getting this expansion.

12. Default Re: Aldi

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH_in_OKC View Post
    I visited the Penn & Memorial Store yesterday while it is under expansion construction. I was amazed how large the new store is now. The store had much longer isles than any store I've seen in Oklahoma. There were also more shoppers than I've ever seen at that particular Aldi which is across Pennsylvania from a large Sam's Club and a large Walmart.

More than ever, I'm looking forward to the new Aldi store in the Mayfair shopping center at Northwest 48th and May. It will only be half mile from my home.
    I just noticed I wrote isles instead of aisles.

13. Default Re: Aldi

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Spoke with a manager at the Yukon location, and she said she doesn't have ALL the details yet (specifically asked about which direction the store would be expanding, that's in the part she doesn't know yet) but the plan is to start May 8th, it will take 15 weeks and they plan to stay open during that time (though there may be a brief period where they will have to close), and that yes, all the OKC stores are getting this expansion.
    That's what MWC was saying too, only they were able to say that it would expand out the back of the store (where there's mostly unused parking) and that as part of the final transition, they would be closed for 2 weeks to finish things up. I think she said this summer, but that's pretty vague.

Today was the last day for the North Penn store. They are closing tomorrow until July 10th.

The article below from the Dallas Morning News states that Aldi has built a second distribution center in Rosenberg, TX along with the original one in Denton, TX. Hopefully, we might start seeing more Aldi stores in Oklahoma.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ival-lidl-gets

Has there been any further development of the proposed Aldi going in at 50th and N. May?

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Has there been any further development of the proposed Aldi going in at 50th and N. May?
    Happened to go by there today and noticed they were clearing out the building.

I suspect demolition is near.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Noticed they were clearing out more this weekend. I also stopped by the Penn/Memorial location last week and they were very busy inside.

I suspect that they may be going to finish that location before getting started on the 50th/May location.

Quote Originally Posted by luke911 View Post
    Noticed they were clearing out more this weekend. I also stopped by the Penn/Memorial location last week and they were very busy inside.

I suspect that they may be going to finish that location before getting started on the 50th/May location.
    Have they reopened the Penn/Memorial store yet?

A previous post said July 10th was when they planned on reopening then Penn/Memorial location.

A previous post said July 10th was when they planned on reopening then Penn/Memorial location.
    Ah, I read your post like you had been inside, shopping.

Sorry no, when I was by last week there was bobcat driving around inside the building. No shopping to be done unless you're interested in construction debris!

Sorry no, when I was by last week there was bobcat driving around inside the building. No shopping to be done unless you're interested in construction debris!
    Any clue what the plans for Rockwell and NW expressway are? That store doesn't have ability to expand that I can think off. Was in Pennsylvania/Memorial store this weekend it is much nicer after the remodel.

Went to Penn/Memorial, as well, this weekend, and it was really nice. Much wider aisles, and it seems like their selection has increased, too. Of course, it was all so packed together before, it could be I just didn't notice the wide selection.

The refrigerated produce section is also very nice.

Thread Information