Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Aldi

Default Re: Aldi

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    And I don't know anything about "Italian" week.
    https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specia...ys-for-feb-17/ This shows what I am calling Italian week.

https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specia...ys-for-feb-10/ The current 'special buys' is Asian week.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Thanks for the info, that's kind of a dealbreaker for us, we like consistency and being able to buy what we are used to buying when we want to buy it, not at the whims of some magical unknown formula from Germany.
    The bulk of their items are regular carry items. They cycle a lot of things in and out, often seasonal, but most of their goods are staples and house brand stuff that they carry year-round. Personally I like the fun of going in and seeing what specialty items they have, and stocking up on some of the especially good on. I really dig a lot of the Euro stuff they import around Christmastime.

Quote Originally Posted by White Peacock View Post
    ... I really dig a lot of the Euro stuff they import around Christmastime.
    This could be cool, we used to go to a lot of European delis when we lived in Chicagoland and miss them here (I believe there's one in a basement of a bldg on NW 50th/May, but haven't been there yet because of their odd hours, and not sure if they're still open).

I noticed flyers posted on the doors of Aldi's that checks will no longer be accepted starting March 1st. Received my Aldi's weekly email today which states that all major credit cards are now accepted as payment.

I've really started to warm up to this chain and I appreciate all the people here who have advocated for it.

Unfortunately, there aren't any locations anywhere near me but today I passed by one and stopped in for only the 3rd time.

Understanding the cart and checkout process makes the shopping experience much more enjoyable.

They do have a lot of interesting snack items and everything is very well priced.

I still don't like the merchandising but I realize that is part of their cost-cutting they try to pass on to the customer.

I think they would do very well in the core and hope they find a location in that area.

I would love for a location in core that is closer to me!. I think it would totally Kill it!
    I love Aldi, not for all groceries but for a large portion of my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've really started to warm up to this chain and I appreciate all the people here who have advocated for it.

Unfortunately, there aren't any locations anywhere near me but today I passed by one and stopped in for only the 3rd time.

Understanding the cart and checkout process makes the shopping experience much more enjoyable.

They do have a lot of interesting snack items and everything is very well priced.

I still don't like the merchandising but I realize that is part of their cost-cutting they try to pass on to the customer.

I think they would do very well in the core and hope they find a location in that area.
    I'm lucky to have one a stone's throw from my house. Glad you learned to love Aldi. I gotta say that you were right about Trader Joe's as well; we went Sunday morning and had a field day. I hadn't been to a TJ's since I lived in Oregon, so it's been about a decade now, and it didn't really tickle my fancy then. I certainly dig it now. Scandinavian Swimmers and cookie butter are where it's at.

^

There are so many little treasures to discover at TJ's and they are constantly adding new things.

So many great dips and crackers and cookies... They get so many fantastic things for the holidays as well.

It really is my favorite store of any type and it's been the retailer I've missed most from California.

^

There are so many little treasures to discover at TJ's and they are constantly adding new things.

So many great dips and crackers and cookies... They get so many fantastic things for the holidays as well.

It really is my favorite store of any type and it's been the retailer I've missed most from California.
    They have a pretty broad selection of gluten-free goods, too. My wife's sensitive to gluten so Aldi's Live G-Free line has been pretty helpful to us, and now TJ's selection broadens the horizons even more. I'm stoked to see what holiday goodies they'll have.

terryinokc Guest

Any chance Aldi will look at a location along 23rd Street with BFL closing?
    Also would like to see somewhere along N May Avenue...maybe tear down a section of the west side of Mayfair Village.....

Quote Originally Posted by terryinokc View Post
    They have one at 23rd near MacArthur. If they got closer to where the Buy For Less on 23rd is, they'd be pretty close to Natural Grocers (setting up in the Gold Dome) and the WalMart Neighborhood Market by Shepherd Mall, which might be too close of a competition for them to want to invest in the area.

Also would like to see somewhere along N May Avenue...maybe tear down a section of the west side of Mayfair Village.....
    they could easily fit in many of the areas of the west side of Mayfair village. the area where CVS was ( I think that was the pharmacy there) would easily fit an Aldi.. I would love that

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    they could easily fit in many of the areas of the west side of Mayfair village. the area where CVS was ( I think that was the pharmacy there) would easily fit an Aldi.. I would love that
    Yes please!

It seems they mainly go free-standing, however.

14. Default Re: Aldi

i get the feeling the owners of Mayfair dont really care if they have space filled. unfortunately, it looks like an intentional tax write-off

15. Default Re: Aldi

A friend of mine is the GM of the SW59th store. I keep telling her I'm going to stop in and check the place out. Still haven't but this thread keeps reminding me I need to.

It's an acquired taste, so don't judge it too harshly on your first visit.

17. Default Re: Aldi

It's an acquired taste, so don't judge it too harshly on your first visit.
    That's exactly what she says. I'll keep an open mind.

I'm in Germany to visit family this week. My wife never fully understood my appreciation of how the stores look so much like their German counterparts until she walked into one of the stores over here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8693.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	13130

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    I'm in Germany to visit family this week. My wife never fully understood my appreciation of how the stores look so much like their German counterparts until she walked into one of the stores over here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8693.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	13130
    Yes, I've spent quite a lot of time in Germany and always enjoyed my trips to Aldi. I don't go to the ones here too often, but I stop in now and then for the nastolgia factor. And when my German friends visit here, we always have to stop in to get groceries. They are almost identical here and there.

terryinokc Guest

QUOTE=Pete;969097]Yes please!

It seems they mainly go free-standing, however.[/QUOTE]

terryinokc Guest

QUOTE=Pete;969097]Yes please!

It seems they mainly go free-standing, however.
    [/QUOTE]

Heard from a very reliable source that Aldi is indeed going in the west side of Mayfair. The middle building is supposed to be torn down. Not sure of the time frame. Has anyone else heard about this?

That would make me extremely happy!

That would kind of be a shame, even though Mayfair is about 75% empty, since it would destroy the "wholeness" of it and introduce something completely different and not really fitting. Still hoping that Mayfair might make a comeback and get semi-full again (although that's pretty much a lost hope at this point, I'm guessing).

I think they purposely cleared out that middle west section for a larger tenant.

I agree though... The center has a fair amount of character and history and I suspect if Aldi goes in they will just demolish that center structure and build one of their bland, typical stores.

But living nearby, I'd love to see them in the area.

Thread Information