Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Aldi

Default Re: Aldi

I really like Native Roots. Very nice little store and I'm glad that it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    First of all, OKC does have a grocery store and has had one for several years: Native Roots.

Secondly, would love for you to share your research to back up your statement.
    Let me preface by saying that what I about to say is not based on any research and is entirely opinionated.

Look at New York (again not a great comparison but an excellent example of urban ism). What I would consider "full-service" grocery stores really aren't all that prevalent. People go to multiple stores to go shopping. They don't have cars. It is the way of life. It would stand to reason that if you want a great urban environment in OKC then a big grocer downtown isn't a necessity and may even be a hindrance to creating that very environment.

Now, if you want Edmond in Bricktown that's fine. But lets be clear about what you are asking for.

It's an awesome little store with great owners who work their tails off and took a risk long before anyone else would.

Don't want to get too far OT, but yes, Native Roots is fantastic. They do a tremendous job there. I would prefer any grocer that eventually locates in the downtown area do so in Midtown, just so they can be sure to continue to operate. It is too handy, the quality of their products too great, and the people too nice to lose such an amenity. Just my $.02. And they probably actually carry more regular grocery-store CPG than you might think. It's not 100% organic / expensive / Whole Foods-type stuff. Additionally, the more locally-sourced items we can purchase, the better off we all are, and I love that they carry such a variety of MIO products (and especially COOP Briefcase Brown).

If anything, we have too many restaurants, retail and services downtown considering the limited population.

Rather than constantly griping about what we don't have, we should feel fortunate that so many local people have gone out on a limb so early in the downtown living revival.

We could add a ton more living units and still not have enough people to patronize all these businesses.

Homeland is technically in the downtown area and so is Family Dollar (which I walk to frequently and use way more than I would have thought), we have multiple pharmacies and just about everything else.

BTW, we also have a ton of grab-n-go food places such as Elemental coffee, Fit Pig, Organic Squeeze, Cultivar (opening soon) and a bunch more.

We also have a grocery delivery service.

I really think a CVS or Walgreens near the middle of downtown would go a long way towards plugging a lot of holes (like inexpensive paper good and household items) but I'm not convinced there are really that many left.

BTW, we also have a ton of grab-n-go food places such as Elemental coffee, Fit Pig, Organic Squeeze, Cultivar (opening soon) and a bunch more.

We also have a grocery delivery service.

I really think a CVS or Walgreens near the middle of downtown would go a long way towards plugging a lot of holes (like inexpensive paper good and household items) but I'm not convinced there are really that many left.
    I totally agree. I don't know how many trips I make to Walgreens (especially late in the evening) to grab just a thing or two or some over the counter medicine. Walmart is obviously open as well but far less convenient. There is a reason there are stores like this on nearly every block in NYC, Chicago & D.C. The fact that they don't really operate that way here is a little confusing.

Does anyone think that a full service grocer could survive in an auto-centric city like OKC or Tulsa without the convenience of the automobile. I'm really curious how the Reasor's in Tulsa will pan out (if the project actually comes to fruition). They are very pleasant stores to visit. Much better than Homeland.

Any downtown grocer would still need plenty of adjacent parking.

Even if you plopped it in the middle of downtown, only a fraction of people living down here would be within walking distance.

The streetcar would help but most people living downtown still use their cars an awful lot and that is not going to change anytime soon.

Any downtown grocer would still need plenty of adjacent parking.
    That's part of the reason I believe the 4th and EKG site would be attractive to someone like Aldi or Trader Joe's. There is room for some on-site parking plus it's on the "going home" side of the street. Downtown workers could easily stop on their way home, shop, and get back on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Does anyone think that a full service grocer could survive in an auto-centric city like OKC or Tulsa without the convenience of the automobile. I'm really curious how the Reasor's in Tulsa will pan out (if the project actually comes to fruition). They are very pleasant stores to visit. Much better than Homeland.
    Charlotte supports a very nice downtown Harris Teeter. There is structured parking attached as well as residential. It's a development similar to what Reasor's is doing in Tulsa. They have north of 50,000 people living downtown though.

It's not a matter of auto-centricity because a lot of auto-centric cities have amenities downtown OKC would kill for. It's a matter of having enough warm bodies to support them as well as developers who are willing to invest. The Tulsa Reasor's is very ambitious given how their downtown population is even lower than OKC's, and they already have plenty of quality options in their immediate urban core. If you built the same thing in OKC, people would drive to it probably from as far as NW 50th because there just isn't many other options.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCinsomniac View Post
    That's part of the reason I believe the 4th and EKG site would be attractive to someone like Aldi or Trader Joe's. There is room for some on-site parking plus it's on the "going home" side of the street. Downtown workers could easily stop on their way home, shop, and get back on the road.
    Personally, I think 4th and EKG is too prime for something like an Aldi or even a standalone Trader Joe's. It should be a part of a much larger mixed-use development. That site is ripe with so much potential for downtown.

An Uptown Grocery is almost certain to go in at the Bleu Garten site in about 2-4 years and I'm sure there will be structured parking as well.

I haven't used it but I bought two boxes of their generic minute rice and it's terrible.

Grains are really small and I can't get it to cook right.

BTW, on my last trip I bought a decent sized frozen pizza that had plenty of pepperoni and sausage for only $2.25. Cooked it the other day an it was pretty darn good.

$2.25!
    Yeah dude, it's ridiculous how good the cheap frozen pizza is from there.

BTW, I sorted out the rice problem... It was pilot error on my part.

And yes, those pizzas for $2.25! Better than most frozen pizza and a screaming bargain.

I told you after a few visits acclimating yourself to Aldi, you'd be sold. I think everybody hates it the first couple visits.

Quote Originally Posted by White Peacock View Post
    I told you after a few visits acclimating yourself to Aldi, you'd be sold. I think everybody hates it the first couple visits.
    Yes, you were absolutely right.

I say the exact same thing to people about Trader Joe's. So different you kind of have to figure it out.

Wish there was an Aldi close by me because otherwise I won't drive way out of my way, as it's just me and I don't buy that many groceries.

BTW, I sorted out the rice problem... It was pilot error on my part.

And yes, those pizzas for $2.25! Better than most frozen pizza and a screaming bargain.
    Crest almost always has Red Barons (one of the better frozen pizza's IMO) for $2.50. How's the quality compare?

Yes, you were absolutely right.

I say the exact same thing to people about Trader Joe's. So different you kind of have to figure it out.

Wish there was an Aldi close by me because otherwise I won't drive way out of my way, as it's just me and I don't buy that many groceries.
    I figured TJ's would be the same. I went in once when I lived in Oregon and just didn't see what the fuss was about, and had the same reaction when I went to Aldi the first time. But since I live less than a half mile from Aldi, it's my regular stop for most of my needs now.

I love rice and have a cooker but I am usually cooking just for me and for small quick, quantities I also frequently use quick rice.
    I own a yoshizaki that makes a single cup in about 25 mins and has fuzzy logic for different grains. Perfect every time. Love it.

I still think 4th and EKG should be a park or a downtown community center. The sixtwelve in paseo is a shining example of what should be. But there's no saving it now. So it's the last I'll mention it.

I've slammed on Aldi here before. But I was in Germany last year so I decided to poke my head in and grab a sandwich. HOLY HELL! it's completely different. First it was about 6 times the size and had decent food, fresh veg and protein, clothes, household items, it was like a different planet compared to the one on N May. And cheap. One still has to look out for utter garbage, some of the food is so cheap s temping to buy over processed fluff just for the bargain. If the stores they're planning for OKC are anything like this, I'm on board. I only worry it might be like marks & spencer where some stores rock and some stores suck due to 6+ concepts.

Does Aldi keep the same brands/items/flavors in stock consistently? From what little I've seen, they don't always, but since several of y'all patronize their stores quite often, figured someone here would know. Basically, if I get a certain brand and flavor of marinara sauce there one time, will it be there the next time (or next 15 times) I go? Frustrating to find something that's really good, then go back and find out they'll never carry it again (happened at TJ's a lot of times, and they didn't bring in an acceptable substitute ).

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    I've slammed on Aldi here before. But I was in Germany last year so I decided to poke my head in and grab a sandwich. HOLY HELL! it's completely different. First it was about 6 times the size and had decent food, fresh veg and protein, clothes, household items, it was like a different planet compared to the one on N May. And cheap. One still has to look out for utter garbage, some of the food is so cheap s temping to buy over processed fluff just for the bargain. If the stores they're planning for OKC are anything like this, I'm on board. I only worry it might be like marks & spencer where some stores rock and some stores suck due to 6+ concepts.
    Where were you in Germany? Unless you were in Bavaria, you were probably dealing with Aldi Nord. Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud are two very different stores. Most American stores branded as "Aldi" are Aldi Sud. Aldi Nord here is branded as Trader Joe's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Does Aldi keep the same brands/items/flavors in stock consistently? From what little I've seen, they don't always, but since several of y'all patronize their stores quite often, figured someone here would know. Basically, if I get a certain brand and flavor of marinara sauce there one time, will it be there the next time (or next 15 times) I go? Frustrating to find something that's really good, then go back and find out they'll never carry it again (happened at TJ's a lot of times, and they didn't bring in an acceptable substitute ).
    Yes and no. If you shop there enough, you start to learn what area of the store has the regularly stocked items and what area has the special buys. Even in the event of a special buy, it'll probably be back unless it just didn't move off the shelves. They do theme weeks, and you can figure out the theme from their ads even though they don't actually call it that. Asian week, German week, Italian week, etc. Even if it was a special buy, that particular marinara sauce will probably be back for Italian week.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    Yes and no. If you shop there enough, you start to learn what area of the store has the regularly stocked items and what area has the special buys. Even in the event of a special buy, it'll probably be back unless it just didn't move off the shelves. They do theme weeks, and you can figure out the theme from their ads even though they don't actually call it that. Asian week, German week, Italian week, etc. Even if it was a special buy, that particular marinara sauce will probably be back for Italian week.
    Thanks for the info, that's kind of a dealbreaker for us, we like consistency and being able to buy what we are used to buying when we want to buy it, not at the whims of some magical unknown formula from Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Where were you in Germany? Unless you were in Bavaria, you were probably dealing with Aldi Nord. Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud are two very different stores. Most American stores branded as "Aldi" are Aldi Sud. Aldi Nord here is branded as Trader Joe's.
    Slightly off. All American Aldis are a part of Aldi Sud. And Trader Joe's was its own company before Aldi Nord purchased them. There are no Aldis from Aldi Nord in the US. TJs is its own brand; just owned by the same Albrecht brother that owns Aldi Nord.

I'm excited to see what Lidl will be like in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Frankfurt. It had the exact same logo. This was just a vastly superior store to what I've seen. And I don't know anything about "Italian" week. But they did have some very interesting Italian imports and French cheeses. Nothing I expected to see in an aldi but my friends told me it was standard that they always had superiorily inexpensive imports.

Thread Information