Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Aldi

Default Re: Aldi

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    But that's my entire point. You wipe any place on the cart where your hands might touch. Your hands. Your HANDS.

Did you wipe off the little plastic flap where the dirty diaper sat an hour ago before you put your bananas there? Did you wipe off the inside of the cart where raw meat sat an hour ago? The last time that cart was sanitized was never, wiping the handle is just a meaningless gesture. Use the hand wipes *on your hands*, on the way in and on the way out.

Redirecting the discussion to the actual topic, has anyone used Aldi's "Love it or double your money back" guarantee? I have to admit there have been a couple items I ended up not caring for, but I never bothered returning the item. I figure something that cost me a couple bucks in the first place isn't worth the hassle. The one time I actually ever returned an item at Aldi, I did not get double my money back, but maybe that is just on food items, or their brand or something. I bought a weather station/clock thing that A) Did not function and B) Had the warranty card half-filled out. It was obviously a return, and it quickly got returned a second time.

I haven't used it but I bought two boxes of their generic minute rice and it's terrible.

Grains are really small and I can't get it to cook right.

BTW, on my last trip I bought a decent sized frozen pizza that had plenty of pepperoni and sausage for only $2.25. Cooked it the other day an it was pretty darn good.

$2.25!

Pretty sure you have to ask for the Double Guarantee. Otherwise, you'll just get your money back. If you ask for it, they'll refund your money and give you a replacement product of equal or lesser value. But like you said, I never really think about it b/c its only a couple bucks anyways, and I'm usually happy with just getting my money back if I dont like something.

I also bought a frozen lasagna the other day, and it was delicious. It was a "special buy" item though, so I don't they carry that specific one on a regular basis. Sort of like the hodge podge special buy area near the produce. They bring random new items in each week and once they run out of it, they're gone till next season.

Does Aldi still have their Mama Cozzi line of pizzas? I enjoyed those. As for rice, unless storage is an issue I could never turn down getting one of those 25 lb bags from the Asian stores.

Only shopped at Aldi a few times for nothing more than a handful of items. What is their modus operandi when it comes to shopping carts?

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Only shopped at Aldi a few times for nothing more than a handful of items. What is their modus operandi when it comes to shopping carts?
    You have to put a quarter in a slot on the cart to release it from the tether.

Then when you return and re-tether, the quarter is released back to you.

Brilliant strategy because it ensures all carts are returned to the one location.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Does Aldi still have their Mama Cozzi line of pizzas? I enjoyed those. As for rice, unless storage is an issue I could never turn down getting one of those 25 lb bags from the Asian stores.
    a 25lb bag of rice from the Asian market and a rice cooker are my favorite things!

I love rice and have a cooker but I am usually cooking just for me and for small quick, quantities I also frequently use quick rice.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    OKCTalk. Pick your analogy: We are a family. We are a community. Choosing either, I would place before it, the word "dysfunctional." I admit it. Completely.
    Meh, we're no more dysfunctional than almost any other group. All families and all communities have disagreements on various subjects.

Even though I sometimes get frustrated with how some express themselves here (the manner and tone, not the opinions) I'll stack this forum against just about any other in terms of civility and general level of conversation.

I say all this having moderated several other forums and participating in a bunch more.

I would agree with that.. the worst fire storms I have seen on these forums are mild compared to every day fodder on most sites.

13. Default Re: Aldi

Well I pretty much only give my opinion on something when I know I'm right.... So when I'm not giving you my opinion you know I'm wrong. ;+)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Even though I sometimes get frustrated with how some express themselves here (the manner and tone, not the opinions) I'll stack this forum against just about any other in terms of civility and general level of conversation.

I say all this having moderated several other forums and participating in a bunch more.
    I'm fully well aware that I very often am unable to express what is in my head clearly, and for that I apologize, and when I detect it, I try to back away from the situation. Like the whole "I wipe the handle" scenario. I don't think I expressed my thoughts very well, those thoughts being "Great start, but the job isn't done". To me it's like bragging how clean you are because you wipe half your rear. However, if I didn't communicate clearly that there's nasty stuff on more than just the handle, then the pointless going back and forth surely isn't going to make it clearer. Making smartass comments, however, about how "there is only one way of being right", will also do nothing to make the situation clearer. In fact, ironically, it is CORRECT. There is only one right answer. If you believe the germs are only on the handle, then you're wrong. Period. If you think wiping the handle and only the handle makes you *safer*, then cool. You're not 'wrong', obviously killing 97% of the germs is more than killing 3%, but you're killing 97% of the germs on 3% of the surface. If you think wiping the handle and only the handle makes you *safe*, you're deluding yourself, and that why I called it 'security theater'. This whole bruhaha came from not wanting to take a cart in from the parking lot because of germs. If this is truly a concern for anyone, I posted a link to one of several portable hand wipe packs. Problem not only solved, but you also have hand wipes for other situations as well.

That said I do agree that this forum is for the most part civil, I've been reading for a long time before I actually joined. But again, we digress from the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Well I pretty much only give my opinion on something when I know I'm right.... So when I'm not giving you my opinion you know I'm wrong. ;+)
    I was only wrong once, .... and that's when I thought I was wrong.

Very interesting. There were many things in that article that I have recognized about Aldi - but now I know why they do what they do.
    Also, Aldi was named Retailer of the Year two years in a row by big names in retail.
    2014 2015

Another interesting article I saw the other day - Why ALDI Is the Grocery Store of the Future - February 1, 2016

Came across another Aldi article from a couple of weeks ago.
    Aldi ramps up organic groceries and that should terrify Whole Foods - Business Insider

I agree with that Pete. I was being facetious and going with the flow. Not being serious at all in the real-world use of the term 'dysfunctional'.

It seems to me that Aldi would be an ideal candidate for an urban style grocery store. I've always thought this seemed obvious. They could probably operate in a footprint a fraction of the size of one of their normal stores. They cover the basics and then some. And most of the time I can get out of there with a couple of bags worth of groceries (something I could walk home with that is). Or a Walgreens/CVS type of store. You have to crawl before you can walk.

I've never understood the push for a full on grocery store downtown. I know Tulsa is going to try to pull it off, but I kind of equate it to the Warren Old Town in Wichita. That theater would never be there but for civic pride.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I've never understood the push for a full on grocery store downtown. I know Tulsa is going to try to pull it off, but I kind of equate it to the Warren Old Town in Wichita. That theater would never be there but for civic pride.
    Most other cities outside of Oklahoma have full grocery stores in their urban cores. If Tulsa pulls it off, OKC will be one of the few midsized cities left that does not. As more people live downtown, essential services should be available to service that population. A person living downtown shouldn't have to drive to NW Expressway for a supermarket. This will become more and more of an issue as the population of downtown continues to grow. An Aldi would be welcome, but that wouldn't cut it for many people's needs. Something like an Uptown Grocery on the streetcar line would be perfect and much welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Most other cities outside of Oklahoma have full grocery stores in their urban cores. If Tulsa pulls it off, OKC will be one of the few midsized cities left that does not..
    First of all, OKC does have a grocery store and has had one for several years: Native Roots.

Secondly, would love for you to share your research to back up your statement.

First of all, OKC does have a grocery store and has had one for several years: Native Roots.
    Native Roots is handy, better than nothing, but its not suffice as a full-line supermarket.

It doesn't suffice, but really, I can do most of my shopping there. We usually don't buy paper products from them, but can get most things from them, requiring an occasional Homeland trip.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Native Roots is handy, better than nothing, but its not suffice as a full-line supermarket.
    'Better than nothing' is an insult.

It's an awesome little store with great owners who work their tails off and took a risk long before anyone else would.

Thread Information