Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Aldi

Default Re: Aldi

my wife and i started going back there recently and find the organic canned beans cheaper than other stores. their sugar free popsicles are just as good as the blue bell that disappeared off shelves last year. picked up avocados in the yukon store yesterday for 29 cents each.

My family started off with Crest/Walmart for our grocery needs until a relative suggested we check out Aldi. We too started off using it for super generic items, but as we've continued shopping there, we've converted about 90% of our grocery shopping to Aldi with a few items from Walmart or Homeland (until they build a Crest in Yukon).

As with anything, it isn't perfect for everyone, but Aldi is really great for those of us who generally cook with a lot of the same things every week. At the same time, if you look closely in the right places, you'll discover all kinds of wonderful gems and specialty items, including organic products.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    My family started off with Crest/Walmart for our grocery needs until a relative suggested we check out Aldi. We too started off using it for super generic items, but as we've continued shopping there, we've converted about 90% of our grocery shopping to Aldi with a few items from Walmart or Homeland (until they build a Crest in Yukon).

As with anything, it isn't perfect for everyone, but Aldi is really great for those of us who generally cook with a lot of the same things every week. At the same time, if you look closely in the right places, you'll discover all kinds of wonderful gems and specialty items, including organic products.
    I agree. Aldi is something you figure out. Once you do, it's almost perfect.

"Almost perfect" is probably why I don't go out of my way to shop there. Since they are considered limited assortment, we always have to make a trip somewhere else to finish our shopping. If they could expand their assortment just a little bit, we would be able to save a ton of money by shopping there. Unfortunately, their assortment is limited and sprouts and buy for less are too close to our house.

Went ahead and did a small shopping trip today to pick up stuff to cook dinner. Had to run to Target to pick up some diapers for the toddler (you gotta draw the line with Aldi somewhere...) so I ended up taking the time to walk with my receipt and compare prices since Target is where I usually shop. The only thing that was more expensive at Aldi was the shredded cheese, but it was also an 11 oz package vs the cheaper 8 oz package I would have gotten at Target so the 'per oz' cost ended up being cheaper. Comparing the Aldi brands to my usual habit of buying the Target store brand, taking 5% off with cartwheel, and taking another 5% off with the target debit card still ended up saving between $0.05 and $0.25 per item. And with the $.25 cents I paid extra for the bigger cheese I still managed to end up saving right around $1.50 for a $17.50 purchase. That might not be a bunch, but I can see where that would add up.

Okay, made a return trip today...

First of all, the place was packed so that's a good sign.

I took more time and really looked through what they had. I ended up buying a bunch of random things, like chile lime cashews, fig bars ($.99!), Nutella-like spread ($1.49!) and some cinnamon raisin bread ($1.49!).

If they have any hand carts, I sure couldn't find them. Which means everyone in there absolutely has to have a cart and that makes a crowded place even more so.

The checkout is weird. I hand-carried my few items and that threw a bit of a wrench in the whole process because they merely take your items off the belt, scan them, then jam them into your cart so you can then go to the back counter and bag everything yourself. There is no place to place the items after scanning, so you'd better have a cart, which I suppose why they don't have hand carts. But how about making the lane just a little longer? Strange.

Do they offer bags for purchase? Didn't see them but didn't need them either.

The whole place is different -- much more European -- than any regular grocery stores. But that makes it somewhat confusing and jumbled. All that random household stuff takes a lot of space and just seems weird.

Still, no question they have very good prices. And, a very interesting mix of unique items, staples and brand names like soda and candy.

The whole front of the store is just too crowded. Considering the cut-price nature of their approach, self checkout lanes would be hugely welcome all the way around.

they do have bags. they are 3 or 5 cents each. they are huge bags and they are under they conveyor belt.

cferguson Guest

Aldi is a strange store until you get the hang of shopping there. One thing I like about the store is how they rarely rearrange items. Once you get the hang of where everything is located, you can get in and out of there in no time. My wife and I write shopping lists according to how you walk through the store b/c we have been there so many times and know where everything is located. The only negative is that you can only get about 90% of your items there and usually have to make another stop somewhere else. We usually buy meat and some other name brand stuff elsewhere. Prices are great and we think the food is good! Once you go a few times, it really does become a great stop.

Lately, I have started shopping at crest b/c it is right next to where I work. I like shopping there b/c i can get everything in one stop, but the store is so huge that it takes me forever to get through it.

Oh and the carts are located outside of the store. You have to put a quarter in the cart to unlock it but once you put the cart back you get the quarter back.

9. Default Re: Aldi

Aldi also sells reusable insulated plastic bags for about $3.00. Before entering Aldi's, I always have a quarter, my insulated bag and a heavy cloth bag. I keep my empty bags in my car's trunk. I rarely ever buy their paper or plastic bags since my bags are usually sufficient & I don't have to throw away any one time use plastic or paper bags. I also keep a Walmart insulated bag in my trunk if I need it. Also, like Sam's Club, Aldi keeps the empty boxes used by manufacturers to transport food for customers to use for bagging their purchases.

One of the things I do at Aldi if I only have to pick up a few items is just grab a box off one of the shelves on my way in to throw my items in. I grab a box that is empty, or almost empty, take those items out, put my items in and take them up to the checkout. This makes it super easy as the cashier just puts my items back in the box and I just carry it out. I've noticed a few times when I went in on Saturdays that the stockers left a cart of empty boxes that they pulled by the door, so shoppers could do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

The checkout is weird. I hand-carried my few items and that threw a bit of a wrench in the whole process because they merely take your items off the belt, scan them, then jam them into your cart so you can then go to the back counter and bag everything yourself. There is no place to place the items after scanning, so you'd better have a cart, which I suppose why they don't have hand carts. But how about making the lane just a little longer? Strange.

Typically, the cashier has a cart to hold items for bagging, then you just give it back to them instead of taking it outside.

^^ They start with an empty cart and then leapfrog the carts from the previous shoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    ^^ They start with an empty cart and then leapfrog the carts from the previous shoppers.
    Right. And I suppose if you have your items in a box then they take that box and throw it on top of the cart then toss the scanned items into it.

Otherwise, there is literally no place to place a box or anything else on the cashier's stand.

Otherwise, there is literally no place to place a box or anything else on the cashier's stand.
    One of Aldi's huge plusses if you ask me. The bagging counter that runs the full length of the store is literally three steps away. I have had my stuff checked out, self-bagged, and am out the door in the time it has taken some people that were in front of me to unload their cart, dig out their bags, corral their kids, load one bag, put it in the cart, corral their kids again, load another bag, put that bag in the cart, pick up the items from the first bag that the kids threw out, rebag said items, corral their kids again, etc etc etc. There is no, was no, and never will be any need for this BS to occur in the checkout line, holding up other customers. Until the US figures out single-line multiple-lane, relocating the bagging area from the checkout area is the best solution in the meantime.

Right. And I suppose if you have your items in a box then they take that box and throw it on top of the car then toss the scanned items into it.

No, they don't take the box. Were talking less than 10 items. If there is someone in front of me, I put my items on the belt and the box behind them and when it's my turn I just grab the box and as the cashier is ringing them up, she puts them in the box. If there's no one in front of me, she will scan them and put them right back in the box and it's done.

Really ... it's not that hard.

So, you hold the box while she is scanning?

It's possible you're overthinking this, Pete, because we're used to traditional stores. Sometimes, if I forget a quarter or a bag from home, I'll go grab a bag or two at the counter, load up my items in the store, then take it all back to the checkout. As the clerk scans, she loads the items into the cart or hands them to me so I can bag them. I'd imagine the same process with a box. I've also loaded up a box and she just scans stuff while it's in the box, without needing to empty it. It's actually a pretty efficient system, only really made slower by the customers. I typically go pretty early, though, so it's not very busy.

The reason I want to be clear is because I pretty much got scolded by the cashier on my last visit.

I hand carried my items since I couldn't find a hand cart and didn't want a full-sized cart. I put them on the belt.

She scanned them and then put them in the extra and waiting cart right next to her. As I went to move the cart over to where I could bag, she snapped, "You need to leave the cart". So, I had to collect my items from the cart while it stayed in place.

There is literally no place to put anything after it's been scanned other than a waiting cart, as you can see in the image below:

Ah, I understand your experience now. If I take/buy bags, I'll usually bag my groceries as the cashier is scanning them, so there is no need to move the cart. You shouldn't have a problem putting your bags in the cashier's cart and bagging as she scans.

The Aldi cloth bags are some of the most amazing bags ever made and I use them at every store I shop. I can buy $150 worth of food at Target and of the cashier is even halfway decent at bagging they can fit everything into that one bag. Nothing annoys me more than cashiers that don't know how to bag and try to stop filling it when it's only halfway full and start their usual "one plastic bag for every three items" routine.

"No, this is not a plastic bag and it's not a crappg cloth bag, yes it can hold all this food without falling apparat so fill it up, there is a reason I loaded all my food on the belt with the canned stuff first, followed by boxed stuff, followed by squishy stuff at the very end. Trust me, it can handle it."

The reason I want to be clear is because I pretty much got scolded by the cashier on my last visit.

I hand carried my items since I couldn't find a hand cart and didn't want a full-sized cart. I put them on the belt.

She scanned them and then put them in the extra and waiting cart right next to her. As I went to move the cart over to where I could bag, she snapped, "You need to leave the cart". So, I had to collect my items from the cart while it stayed in place.

There is literally no place to put anything after it's been scanned other than a waiting cart, as you can see in the image below:

Pete, I had the same experience my first time at Aldi, except I was double teamed. First by the cashier, followed up quickly by my wife, who was already experienced in Aldidom.

Regarding using boxes, I've done that 5 or 6 times. Quick stops on the way home from work, and I don't carry bags in my truck. I think it was the first couple times I did it when I emptied the box on the belt, the other times, I left the items in the box and the cashier just took them out to scan them and put them back.

I really didn't pay much attention as to if, how or when I held the box. I think I may have the first time. I just went in and did it and got out. And each time the cashier didn't seem swayed by it at all, as if I'm not the only one. And again, it was only for a few items. I wouldn't do that with any more items than that.

I'm the one that grabs a small box for the "few items " that I need. I fill the little box with the few and the many items and barely make it to the check out. I just put it down on the belt. the cashier takes out a few items, scans the rest and is stratching her head to how I managed to get all that stuff in that little box. I get the comment that next time try a cart. Oh well. It works for me.

^^^ Ah.... So I'm not the only one.

24. Default Re: Aldi

Seems when I'm there the cashier buzzer they push for assistance makes me jump every time n
    Aldi recently bought out Bottom Dollar back east where my folks live. They are converting these to Aldi stores, which are nicely sized and in more locations then we have here. I myself like the store, it's just a little out of my way to shop there.

Okay, I may be a full-on Aldi convert now...

Today, went fully prepared knowing how to get a cart, planning to buy one of their insulated bags and having a list of recommended items off a couple of "best buys at Aldi" websites.

Once again, the place was very busy for such a small store. And that's troublesome because virtually everyone has a cart and virtually everyone is taking their time going through the offerings in detail. They don't have markings on their aisles so you have to go up and down them all to find what you are looking for.

One of the best things are all the unusual snack items... Loads of things completely unique to Aldi.

I bought a bunch of things like pasta sauce, spaghetti, frozen whole grain waffles, maple syrup, peanut butter pretzels, Nutella-like spread (a bargain!), frozen chicken breasts, canned beans and chili, some spices and a few other things. All were super cheap.

I still don't get the aisle of random household items. Looked through everything in detail and it just seemed junky.

Also, one major pet peeve is the checkout lines are long and although they move pretty fast, carts are blocking up the aisles while waiting. And then when you get into the lane there is not enough room to be next to your cart, so you either have to be in front or behind and it's hard to reach the full cart that way.

Otherwise, generally speaking the prices are worth it and they have enough unique and interesting items it's totally unlike anything else in town.

BTW, I never realized the point of the quarter in the cart to release it was to make sure all the carts were returned to the proper place. Really, really smart as it does not require an employee out there collecting them and it also keeps the lot clear of the usual jumble of carts.

Thread Information