Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

Default Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

^

The equine stuff and fair are not mutually exclusive.

Plant a freaking tree... Not even a shrub or blade of grass for that huge Bennett Event Center, nor that massive new parking lot or any other of the lots.

Go there sometime for an event other than the fair and you can see how incredibly shabby the entire property is. Trash, weeds... Just terrible.

Not to mention, they allow parking all over the dirt and grass lots on the property, which is against City ordinances. Minimum landscaping and other rules don't seem to apply to the fairgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Have you ever been there other than OU/Texas? I haven't.

But still, the grounds and buildings are a million times nicer.

I suppose it's time to let go of better expectations for our fair. Nothing is going to change.

That's sad for people who are old enough to remember better times. I have lots of family photos from our entire family going when I was a kid, and then I'd usually go a second time on the day they gave us off school.

Like so many things, it's hard to let go of places and events where you have a very strong nostalgic connection.
    I actually have been there a few times outside of the game. Still a fun time but with far fewer people. The facilities are definitely better (though I suppose we’ll have a much nicer arena because I’m not sure they have one) and the grounds are much more scenic.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The main thing I’ll say about the fair is that equine events at the fairgrounds bring more room nights and sales tax receipts to Oklahoma City than do the convention business and sports business COMBINED. Equine is a MASSIVE economic engine; especially for a city so beholding to sales tax receipts. The state fair itself is but a blip on the economic radar comparatively.

Count me in as someone who misses the mid-century charm of the fair of my youth, but it’s not difficult to see why the City prioritizes horsey stuff.
    I have no problem catering to the western/ag type events but damn, can they not make the area look nicer? Texas doesn't have that many random mid-century tourist trap type things but it does have nice exhibition buildings that don't all look like warehouses, nice landscaping, fountains, trees, etc.

^

Plant a freaking tree... Not even a shrub or blade of grass for that huge Bennett Event Center, nor that massive new parking lot or any other of the lots.

Go there sometime for an event other than the fair and you can see how incredibly shabby the entire property is. Trash, weeds... Just terrible.

Not to mention, they allow parking all over the dirt and grass lots on the property, which is against City ordinances. Minimum landscaping and other rules don't seem to apply to the fairgrounds.
    For example...the bombers and jets were moved because they built the bennett event center there. I know those weren't trees, grass or landscaping but at least they were interesting...why not move them somewhere else within the sea of parking? At this point our fairgrounds might as well be the parking lot between a walmart and a sams.

5. Default Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I've heard that if your professor doesn't show up after 15 minutes, you're legally allowed to leave class.
    Good stuff. Thanks for your input. Well thought out and executed to perfection. You really got me thinking here. I never looked at it that way. This sheds a whole new light on the subject. I learned my lesson.

6. Default Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

^

We were just saying that. Parking in mud with no paths. Fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by shortsyeararound View Post
    good stuff. Thanks for your input. Well thought out and executed to perfection. You really got me thinking here. I never looked at it that way. This sheds a whole new light on the subject. I learned my lesson.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    For example...the bombers and jets were moved because they built the bennett event center there. I know those weren't trees, grass or landscaping but at least they were interesting...why not move them somewhere else within the sea of parking? At this point our fairgrounds might as well be the parking lot between a walmart and a sams.
    I think the bombers and jets became crumbling relics that were originally “dumped” on the Fairgrounds with zero maintenance or restoration funding attached. The vast majority of people would walk near them ten minutes every 3 years and say “Huh…kinda neat” and keep moving. Fairgrounds staff and regular visitors were starting to wonder when they were gonna fall off their perch, due to rust and metal fatigue.

Thread Information