Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

1. Default Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by aDark View Post
    To get back to the original question, no I do not go to the OKC state fair. Having been to fairs in several major cities, the OK state fair is just depressing.

As a child, the fair meant fun rides and foods you couldn't get anywhere else. As an adult, every ride looks like a liability and the food looks (mostly) disgusting.

Add to the experience the general fair population and I'd rather just skip the mess entirely.

I realize I'm in the minority on this opinion. My wife still likes to go. In recent years, she has come to the conclusion that is not safe enough for her to walk around with the kids. Other than Disney on Ice, they don't go anymore either.
    You can bring your own food and beverage in (not glass), so you don't have to buy theirs. We bought a turkey leg ($16 and dry as hell), 2 mini jugs of root beer ($16 and went warm fast), and a Dan's Indian Taco ($15 and good). So $47 total- that was most disgusting part. I laugh when I see people buying beer there (the cost of one is sometimes equivalent to a six pack price) instead of bringing in their own. We just walked the buildings and only stayed 2 hrs in morning daylight. It will suffice for another 4/5 years.

2. Default Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    You can bring your own food and beverage in (not glass), so you don't have to buy theirs. We bought a turkey leg ($16 and dry as hell), 2 mini jugs of root beer ($16 and went warm fast), and a Dan's Indian Taco ($15 and good). So $47 total- that was most disgusting part. I laugh when I see people buying beer there (the cost of one is sometimes equivalent to a six pack price) instead of bringing in their own. We just walked the buildings and only stayed 2 hrs in morning daylight. It will suffice for another 4/5 years.
    But where else can you buy a beer and a turkey leg and stand around with it in public, one in each hand?

Default Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    When I was growing up, schools closed for a day and students could attend free.

That was really fun because there were tons of kids your own age there.
    Yeah, forgot about that, I went a lot when I was a kid because of that.

4. Default Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    But where else can you buy a beer and a turkey leg and stand around with it in public, one in each hand?
    True, true, true.

5. Default Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

I forgot about that too! It was one of the best days of the school year!

My family and I attended three different days this year. We love going! I think it is one of the best events that Oklahoma puts on every year.

Quote Originally Posted by brunnesa View Post
    My family and I attended three different days this year. We love going! I think it is one of the best events that Oklahoma puts on every year.
    Since I haven't been in so many years, I'm curious - what do you do each year, do you have certain things you see, eat, drink, ride, or just whatever strikes your fancy, music, ...?

I had no idea you could bring in your own drinks (beer) into the fair until reading this thread. Has that always been a thing?

My buddies and I were talking about that this weekend. My dad used to take us as early as possible on Fair Day to get it over with before the masses descended. In high school, I remember going up there with my mom because she loved the Indian tacos and funnel cakes. Haven't been to the fair in probably 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Since I haven't been in so many years, I'm curious - what do you do each year, do you have certain things you see, eat, drink, ride, or just whatever strikes your fancy, music, ...?
    We like to attend the concerts each night and usually go through every building at least once. We also eat many of our favorite fair foods like, cheese on a stick, corndog, meat candy on a stick, roasted corn and cinnamon rolls. I find it a great atmosphere to just sit back and watch the people. You see some interesting things at the fair!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I had no idea you could bring in your own drinks (beer) into the fair until reading this thread. Has that always been a thing?
    outside food and drink are NOT allowed ..

https://okstatefair.com/information/faq

Can I bring my own food/beverages?
    Outside food/beverages are not allowed unless it is needed for medical purposes. Formula, milk, and food for infants/toddlers is permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    The annual Festival of the Arts, downtown? You can do that there.

13. Default Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    outside food and drink are NOT allowed ..

https://okstatefair.com/information/faq
    They must have changed that for this year or since covid. I have been taking a backpack with my own beer (cans) for 20 years, along with food. State Fair Park sits on land that is deemed a State Park and by law you may bring your own food and drink onto state property. I have never had an issue. Like I said, I did not do it this year, but was tempted.

State Fair Park sits on land that is deemed a State Park and by law you may bring your own food and drink onto state property..
    the OKC fair grounds are 100% property of the CITY of OKC ..

and just like the arena ... you have no "right" to bring your own food and drink ..

They must have changed that for this year or since covid. I have been taking a backpack with my own beer (cans) for 20 years, along with food. State Fair Park sits on land that is deemed a State Park and by law you may bring your own food and drink onto state property. I have never had an issue. Like I said, I did not do it this year, but was tempted.
    from the FAQ 2013 state fair ..

https://web.archive.org/web/20130728...sked-questions

Can I bring my own food/beverages?
    Outside food/beverages are not allowed unless it is needed for medical purposes.

Formula, milk, and food for infants/toddlers is permitted.

I enjoy going once each year. I don't think there's enough there to justify two visits; particularly as not much changes year to year.

17. Default Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

Odd. I just looked up OKC Fairgrounds and found this on the homepage of their website. Copyright 2023.

"OKC Fairgrounds is one of the largest and busiest event facilities in the country and is the center of Oklahoma City’s status as “Horse Show Capital of the World.” Other events include concerts, rodeos, auto racing, arts and crafts shows, the Oklahoma Youth Expo, and the annual Oklahoma State Fair, held in September."

There hasn't been auto racing since 2009. Who writes this stuff?

18. Default Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Fine- but why do you want to argue with me about something I have done since around 1996. Every year, they checked my bags, saw my beer, and let me in. Hell in 2005/2006 somewhere around then we even rolled in a cooler on wheels. I have never had an issue. If I can't anymore that is fine because I barely drink, but was told by a "city official" in 95 that I could the following year when I turned 21.

Yeah they don't enforced the no food or drink. I told my wife she needed to finish her Stella Nova coffee, but they didn't say anything so she walked right in. I don't I even saw no food or drink signs. If they there were, its not super obvious like it is in the arena.

Again, total lack of security. Someone could hide explosives in a soft drink, beer, etc.

20. Default Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yeah they don't enforced the no food or drink. I told my wife she needed to finish her Stella Nova coffee, but they didn't say anything so she walked right in. I don't I even saw no food or drink signs. If they there were, its not super obvious like it is in the arena.

Again, total lack of security. Someone could hide explosives in a soft drink, beer, etc.
    We did walk in with our Starbucks.

It's hard to accept but state fairs are mainly a relic of the past in general, not just the one here.

I will say the Wisconsin State Fair in Milwaukee is a very different experience. The fairgrounds are more compact but substantially nicer, they have more live music and there is the Milwaukee Mile Speedway, which they use for big-name bands; I see this year they had REO Speedwagon, Ludacris and other acts every night. Also, a good number of the food vendors are local and thus there is a lot of tradition about going to get a cream puff (pretty great) and some other things that are unique to the fair (do we have anything equivalent?). Many of the food places have permanent facilities with covered seating, not just trailers on asphalt.

However, what I realized the last time I went 3 years ago is that this event is 75% a big drink fest. They have tons of beer gardens and even during the day, you see lots of couples pushing strollers with both holding beers. Obviously, a big beer culture in Milwaukee but it has to be a rowdy scene once the sun goes down.

But at least in Wisconsin, they've found a way to stay relevant in a very fast-changing world. OKC sold out to horse shows a long time ago and the fair itself is a complete afterthought and it shows.
    The State Fair of Texas is still pretty great as well if you haven't been in awhile. Far and away better than the fairs in OKC or Tulsa.

I've heard that if your professor doesn't show up after 15 minutes, you're legally allowed to leave class.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post

I had friends that carried a backpack style cooler in full of beer each night. No one ever checked them.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    The State Fair of Texas is still pretty great as well if you haven't been in awhile. Far and away better than the fairs in OKC or Tulsa.
    Have you ever been there other than OU/Texas? I haven't.

But still, the grounds and buildings are a million times nicer.

I suppose it's time to let go of better expectations for our fair. Nothing is going to change.

That's sad for people who are old enough to remember better times. I have lots of family photos from our entire family going when I was a kid, and then I'd usually go a second time on the day they gave us off school.

Like so many things, it's hard to let go of places and events where you have a very strong nostalgic connection.

25. Default Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

The main thing I’ll say about the fair is that equine events at the fairgrounds bring more room nights and sales tax receipts to Oklahoma City than do the convention business and sports business COMBINED. Equine is a MASSIVE economic engine; especially for a city so beholding to sales tax receipts. The state fair itself is but a blip on the economic radar comparatively.

Count me in as someone who misses the mid-century charm of the fair of my youth, but it’s not difficult to see why the City prioritizes horsey stuff.

Thread Information