Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

Default Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I think I just heard an echo of something I said a few days ago . . .
    Except for the People's Fair part. As a hard line conservative I have to object to anything with vaguely "Commie" lingo. =)
    Pipe down and drink your vodka comrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Pipe down and drink your vodka comrade.
    Zdrahzdviche, amigo . . . Kak ti posheviash? . . . Harasho, (I hopes. =)
    I think the State Fair could be salvaged with some dancing Russian Bearlarinas . . . in Disney Costumes.
    On ice.

That, or a proper Tractor Pull. =)

a nesting doll concession may bring folks back.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    a nesting doll concession may bring folks back.
    You nailed it.

(still . . . would some belt buckles featuring a Peace Sign, a pentagram, a fist raised in anger, and a picture of John Lennon playing poker with various breeds of dogs hurt? in terms of ambiance? say! instead of belt buckles and teeshirts . . . WHOA!!!: how about tattoo booths!!!??? now that they are legal. =)

Prunepicker Guest

I'd like to see a return of the Made in Oklahoma building. The Agrapolis,
    or whatever it's called, could be pared down to one of the side rooms or
    in the Livestock barns. It's a good exhibit.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Do you attend The Oklahoma State Fair?

Recently, I've participated in the Oklahoma State Fair several times as a volunteer for my (Little Flower Catholic) church booth.

The last time I was at the fair as a fairgoer was in the 60s: As an excited 12 year old, I threw a nickel onto the middle of the target of the lucky strike board symbol (Midway games). My family was elated with joy, the guy who operated the board just ignored me and slowly swept my nickel from the board robbing me of my giant stuffed animal prize. A number of people were in support of our complaint about me not being awarded my prize, it fell on deaf ears. My aunt cursed and called this guy everything but a child of God (terrible display by an adult); my mother being the leveled headed person she was just took us and walked away.

You can imagine the devastation this was for a child of my age. I was traumatized for years every time the State Fair of Oklahoma was mentioned. We never went back as a family after that incident.

As one poster mentioned, there are a number of events to attend: like the Arts Festival, Bricktown Blues & BBQ Festival, Medieval Fair, '89er Day Celebration, Greek Festival, Juneteenth Celebration, Boley Rodeo, Okmulgee Invitational Rodeo, Oklahoma Czech Festival, Strawberry Festival, Okeene Rattlesnake Hunt, Rush Springs Watermelon Festival, Edmond Jazz and Blues Festival, Charlie Christian International Music Festival and many, many more. The fun filled excitement of these events throughout Oklahoma is enough for the annual calendar.

The State Fair of Oklahoma is a great event which many people await with anticipation. Enjoy the Oklahoma State Fair it ranks among the top five fairs in the United States.

"Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ...as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I'd like to see a return of the Made in Oklahoma building. The Agrapolis,
    or whatever it's called, could be pared down to one of the side rooms or
    in the Livestock barns. It's a good exhibit.
    I've never like Agtropolis since it first displaced the Made in Oklahoma building many years ago - that was on the leading edge of all the scorched earth destruction the fair leaders inflicted upon it. It was one of the first things that turned me off to the fair.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I've never like Agtropolis since it first displaced the Made in Oklahoma
    building many years ago - that was on the leading edge of all the scorched
    earth destruction the fair leaders inflicted upon it. It was one of the first things
    that turned me off to the fair.
    In a sense that's what happened to me. I liked the Made in Oklahoma bldg.

Another was that a friend of mine was removed as a food vendor. He had
    the best cinnamon rolls. I could not care less about the Midway.

Prunepicker Guest

I've won some ribbons for canned goods. Just doing the County Fair this
    year.

Here's a guy who has a lot to say about lots of local (and not exactly non-local "issues"--especially in regard t' local airplay, doncha know) who is edging Dave Barry into the stretch as my favorite non-local Humorist/columnist (not counting Mark "Samuel Clements" Twain) or George Carlin, as if:

Lileks: Who needs a World's Fair when we have our Get-Together? | Star Tribune

Please note that Minneapolis/StPaul is such a spread of amazing Major League City Stuff--including all the interstates in OKC combined times ten with a vague appreciation for something resembling Historical Preservation that the commentator, cited above, got hired and fired and rehired at least once. Possible on account of Dave Barry protested the action of The Bozos in "Control".

Enjoy the words.
    The guy also has The Nearly Ultimate "Blog" in the Internet.
    At least for folks who think a little rather than get confused at the truth and wander away.

Here is my introduction to this gentleman from the plains and/or planes of Fargo, ND.
    (whose dad worked in the petroleum industry
    I discovered his work looking for a way to balance the motives behind Stage Center as compared to the Biltmore as compared to Devon Tower . . .

http://lileks.com/mpls/gateway/
    Navigation Prompt: Go left. Click on topic. Review. Consider the possibilities. Move on.

that was my "gateway" "drug", metaphorically typing, from man of conscience, with a deep sense of humor and some pretty good blogging skills.

At one time . . . in the distant . . . distant . . . past . . . didn't Chautauquas used to compete with State Fairs?

Prunepicker Guest

Ah 'jes wish they'd say they don't like it. They don't like it at allllllll.

The State Fair isn't as good as it was 20 years ago. Or 30 years ago.
    Or 40, or 50 or even 60. I know. I've been there during all of the
    decades.

The new State Fair sucks. I get in free with a military pass on one
    day and a senior citizen pass on another. I wouldn't pay .50 cents to
    enter the new State Fair. To tell the truth it's not worth the price of
    any admission fee.

However, with the free passes. the price for a Corn Dog is worth a
    free admission.

The bottom line is this, if I had to pay for admission I wouldn't attend.
    Not even if my grandson had a winning hog in the running.

It's not worth the price and hardly worth free admission.

Go to the County Fair instead.

I like the fair. Never had any problems. I always get a corndog, corn, and try something fried. I don't play the games or ride any rides. Usually walk the buildings, listen to some music, and check out outdoor vending area.

Prunepicker Guest

Sis and I just entered our products in the County Fair. She has some
    crocheting and I have pickled beets and pear tomatoes.

This is the first year I was going to enter some pressure canning
    products and had to take them home because they didn't have a
    section for them. Go figure.

Prunepicker Guest

Here are the Special Discount Days for the State Fair

Thursday, September 11:
    Opening Day - $2

Monday, September 15:
    School Kids' Day – FREE admission for all kids thru grade 12

Tuesday, September 16:
    Super Saver Tuesday - $3,
    Armed Forces' Day -
    FREE admission for Armed Forces personnel and spouses
    (Military I.D. required)

Wednesday, September 17:
    Senior Citizens' Day – FREE admission for Senior Citizens 55+
    (I.D. required)

I believe they've lowered the age for Senior Citizens.

Actually taking a fair day from work. Will be sans kiddos for the first time in 6 years so looking forward to not having to herd my crew around crowds.

Prunepicker Guest

Sis and I placed at the County Fair. She won 1 first, 2 third and a fourth.

I won 1st with my pear tomatoes and 2nd for pickled beets.

We had a great time.

I haven't been since the early 90's, the only times that I went to the Texas State Fair was for OU-Texas games of which the last one that I went to was 1998. I used to love the fair but as I changed and it did too I lost interest in it.

I am going today. The weather is perfect.

I am just glad it is time again for the fair. The yard was needing a good watering.

Went Friday during the day. Weather wasn't too bad but was bad enough to keep everyone away. Felt kinda weird not having to wait at all for a Dan's Indian Taco.

The one thing that I found interesting was a guy who's company was converting railroad cars, not any specialty types just the kind you could store all kinds of dry good in, and they had made a decent living space for on or two people. Minimalist living but was pretty cool. Queen sized bed in one end, bathroom in the middle, Kitchenette just beyond that and then some living space in the other half. On tv in the bedroom and a bigger one in the living room. The outside was painted but you could rap on it and feel that solid steel. The inside had been sprayed with insulation and painted to look like adobe. Bolt and srap that thing down and I think it could survive a pretty good sized twister. Def no hail damage worries.

Well, I went to the fair yesterday, "geezer day" as some of you have called it (yes, I am a geezer) and I just want to warn all of you that plan to attend next year, AVOID GEEZER DAY LIKE THE PLAGUE! It's a dangerous place, I think there were more people on scooters, either personal or rented at the fair, wheel chairs, walkers, and other mobility assist devices (yes, I rode my scooter too) than those on their own two feet. If I go next year, I will pay the price. By the way, I'm not being critical of the physically disabled since I am one of them, just letting you know, it really was a mess. They were enjoying themselves and thats great and I'm glad they have the free day for them/us.
    C. T.

We went to the fair for the first time in about three or four years. It was Thursday evening. When we got to the gate, I said to the lady, "We are so old and feeble that we forgot that YESTERDAY was Old Fogies Get In Free Day. Can you give us a break?" She just smiled and said: "Well . . . I won't charge you twice." I would have given her a high-five but she was behind bulletproof glass. Actually, between the roasted corn, the Indian taco, the Texas-sized cheese curds, the wine tastings, the fabulous ScotchBonnet jelly creations and the petting zoo for the new millennium I had a pretty good time. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. In fact, it wasn't bad at all. Plus we brought home three bottles of Made in Oklahoma wine and I now have a lead on some of the best jelly/preserves ever.

I'd planned to go on geezer day but my best friend was working cattle and needed help so I missed it. Ctchandler, you made me feel much better about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    The one thing that I found interesting was a guy who's company was converting railroad cars, not any specialty types just the kind you could store all kinds of dry good in, and they had made a decent living space for on or two people. Minimalist living but was pretty cool. Queen sized bed in one end, bathroom in the middle, Kitchenette just beyond that and then some living space in the other half. On tv in the bedroom and a bigger one in the living room. The outside was painted but you could rap on it and feel that solid steel. The inside had been sprayed with insulation and painted to look like adobe. Bolt and srap that thing down and I think it could survive a pretty good sized twister. Def no hail damage worries.
    I know some folks who lived in a caboose for 11 years before they retired. It can be done. They bought a tiny little house on some beautiful land and feel like they are living in a castle by comparison.

Thread Information