Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chase Bank

1. Default Re: Chase Bank

SUPER FAIL! If there is any logic in the city, the design will fail on first sight. If not, we should really send some pushback to the committee.

Default Re: Chase Bank

We all know that this is a fail.

Pete/anyone, what are the chances that this could pass through DDRC?

This belongs in Lower Bricktown along the canal between Bass Pro and Red Roof Inn. But I like it!

Steve has an update:

Chase Bank considers building new downtown branch | News OK

They've slightly revised the design but not the height or lot coverage.

Dick Tanenbaum, a member of the Downtown Design Review Committee, told Cragun the plans submitted will likely win approval despite failing to meet the two-story minimum requirement.

5. Default Re: Chase Bank

Yet the Office Depot proposed for Classen a few years back - a substantial distance from the CBD while this us smack in the middle of it - was killed because it didn't meet the THREE STORY requirement.

Can we calculate the percentage of variance requests granted by the various boards? For me, more than a casual observer, but someone who isn't involved in the process, it seems like we should retitle the requirements as "friendly suggestions."

7. Default Re: Chase Bank

Requirement != Requirement

I like the updated proposal a ton better. Still wish they weren't waiving the height ordinance, but the new proposal looks for more attractive for downtown than the original cookie-cutter suburban design they proposed.

Why does it have to be built here? I think if they want to build this here, it should be part of a high-rise development with class A office space above.

It's being built on that spot because Chase owns the property.

And, they want to have at least some drive-thru lanes, only because they already exist as a relic of the old anti branch banking days. There are still four or five of these drive thru operations downtown and I wish they would all be bulldozed.

Do not want.

This is one of the few prime spots right in the heart of downtown and they want a drive thru bank. How narrow minded can one business be! They could sell it for millions, and keep a bank in the lobby.

Too bad SandRidge never got their hands on it, because I know at one time that was clearly their plan.

At least now it could be sold to a responsible developer instead of a bank who merely inherited a relic based on absurd old banking laws, and who is seeking to extend that ridiculous legacy.

This is the Dowell Garage issue all over again, where instead of applying new and appropriate standards, the committee will likely side with an existing owner who only wants to "improve" something very marginally and nowhere near the current guidelines or conceptual urban plans.

Makes you wonder why the City spends tax money for things like the Popolous study of the area around the convention center, when the design review committees completely disregard them.

They have a easy stop here: Don't grant the height exception. But by all indications, that's exactly what they'll end up doing.

14. Default Re: Chase Bank

Why do we even bother having a Downtown Design District? It has NO teeth whatsoever.

It seems the committee looks at things much differently when someone already owns a property.

I can't think of an instance where they gave any existing property owner a hard 'no', it terms of renovation, new development or demolition.

It may have happened, but nothing leaps to mind.

I think the building that is there now is really cool. It's like the Gold Dome, totally retro, but from the 70s, not 60s. Is there some rule that once a building gets to be 40 years old, it has to be torn down? Does everything have to be sleek corporate glass box?

^

I like the old structure as well, especially since it replicates the architecture at the base of Chase Tower.

18. Default Re: Chase Bank

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It seems the committee looks at things much differently when someone already owns a property.

I can't think of an instance where they gave any existing property owner a hard 'no', it terms of renovation, new development or demolition.

It may have happened, but nothing leaps to mind.
    So the unwritten rule is if you owned a property before the design requirements went into effect, you get "pass"?

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    So the unwritten rule is if you owned a property before the design requirements went into effect, you get "pass"?
    No, I think you get a pass if you just bought it recently as well (i.e. SandRidge, Stage Center, etc.).

20. Default Re: Chase Bank

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No, I think you get a pass if you just bought it recently as well (i.e. SandRidge, Stage Center, etc.).
    so...back to post #38

Blog Entries

I like the style of the old auto bank. The new thing is awful.

I know this is in Tulsa and all and should be ignored, but, here's what was done in Tulsa with an old auto bank just a few years older than this.

The Vault | Serving classic American fare and craft cocktails in a mid-century modern setting

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    I like the style of the old auto bank. The new thing is awful.

I know this is in Tulsa and all and should be ignored, but, here's what was done in Tulsa with an old auto bank just a few years older than this.

The Vault | Serving classic American fare and craft cocktails in a mid-century modern setting
    Something like that would be great. However, I don't think its on the table and the rebuild of the bank is pretty much set in stone.

I think there is a lot OKC has learned from Tulsa and could continue to learn. If there is one thing you all have really done well it has been preserving historic structures, no matter the era they are from, and doing something trendy and cutting edge with them.

The Downtown Design Review Committee has called a special meeting on October 1st to consider approving the revised design.

City staff has provided a positive recommendation and by all indications, Chase will receive the necessary approval.

I simply don't understand why the city staff is recommending approval and why the committee has already expressed their intent to approve the application.

This is part of the report from the planning department where they list all the areas that do not meet established guidelines:

It's slightly larger than what is there now, so - knock yourself out. Which makes the official stance is: "Better than crappy makes us happy."

I seriously don't know why we even have the guidelines.

Thread Information