Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 400 N. Walnut

1. Default Re: 400 N. Walnut

I think that's what the situation was. There are better, less-disruptive ways to good ADA compliance.

Default Re: 400 N. Walnut

Another photo:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Another photo:

As a recovering soil scientist I love that cross-section view! Nice organic horizon developed there.

Yes, steps were not original but you aren't even supposed to paint a building within the DDRC boundaries without prior approval.

And unless plans change, those columns are most definitely going away:

You mean if plans don't change and if DDRC approves it...granted they have recently gotten rid of regulatory HP.

Here are a bunch of new renderings in advance of this project's date with the DDRC next week.

You can see they plan to use some pretty funky materials. The City staff have pointed out there are several elements that are not in compliance with established standards and I'm sure there will be lots of discussion about various aspects by the committee.

That's way different than what I was thinking it would be.

It's certainly different and represents a pretty big investment.

At least they aren't trying to cheap-out.

It doesn't even look like the same building. I like the fact that it comes out to the street, and really, considering the apartment complexes nearby, it's not going to take a whole lot to be in compliance with the architecture of the area. Cheap and boring is the watchword for them (apologies to those who like LEVEL and Mosaic. I think they're pretty vanilla, and Maywood Apartments are just sad).

I still think it is going to be great. I notice there is only 9 planned residences here. And 9 single car garages.

I would like the rear of the garages to line the sidewalk and have some type of decoration/nice finish facing outward - thus leaving the parking lot hidden from the street. I would much rather walk along an interesting wall than a parking lot.

I was told they may add another building to the east end of the property at a later date.

Blog Entries

I don't object but it seems like they're trying too hard to make it trendy...

I"m sure the ADA requirements are the reason for the change to the front.

It doesn't really add much space for I'm sure it was forced upon them.

I"m sure the ADA requirements are the reason for the change to the front.

It doesn't really add much space for I'm sure it was forced upon them.
    If they just retained the Georgian columns, brick, and lentils on a single side this could work... but they should NOT just sweep away a fully-intact Georgian facade. Those are rare in the days of urban school closings and demo everywhere across the Midwest.

Steve's article about the demolition.

Oklahoma City firm takes down front of historic Deep Deuce building without proper permit | News OK

The steps to the 94-year-old building at 400 N Walnut Ave. in Deep Deuce were torn out recently despite the contractor not having a required permit for the work. The city is preparing to cite the contractor and is recommending the Downtown Design Review Committee reject a plan to replace the building’s historic facade.

15. Default Re: 400 N. Walnut

Oops.

That is a shame. Maybe OKC can put the process on hold for about 6-12 months as an example.

I'm pretty sure those steps and planter thing were not original to the building.

This is ridiculous that we have gotten to this point in our downtown. Good last-ditch administrative action here, but not so across the street when the historic gas station accidentally vanished..

OKC has a HP crisis, and there is no way to realistically tone that down (as much as we all love toned-down things).

Seriously…how hard would it be to just move the front addition North about 20 feet so that the current entrance isn't hindered?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    This is ridiculous that we have gotten to this point in our downtown. Good last-ditch administrative action here, but not so across the street when the historic gas station accidentally vanished..

OKC has a HP crisis, and there is no way to realistically tone that down (as much as we all love toned-down things).
    Sorry to have to ask, but I've seen "HP" abbreviated several times and as I'm a noob about development (but have become a junkie since finding this site!), I have to ask what it means. I'm guessing Historic Preservation based on context, but not sure.

^

Correct.

Yeah, sorry about the jargon. Can be used interchangeably with #histpres

23. Default Re: 400 N. Walnut

Hope this doesn't get approved.

I'm pretty sure those steps and planter thing were not original to the building.
    Does that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Does that matter?
    Yes because that would mean there is little chance they'll get in any real trouble over this.

They could be made to build them back otherwise,

Thread Information