Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 14 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aviare (formerly Avana)

Patrick Guest

Arts District / Film Row Aviare (formerly Avana)

Block bounded by Walker, Dewey, Robert S. Kerr, and NW 4th
    301 N. Walker

Developed by Mike Henderson, sold to Inland Real Estate Acquisitions, Inc. in 2008
    Recently sold for $39,000,000 (then a per-unit state record)
    height=4 stories
    sq. feet=304,833
    acreage=6.23
    303 residential units, plus street-level retail and restaurants

Information & Latest News

3/18/14: Avana makeover planned
    3/14/14: Renovation renderings and plans revealed
    Tenants

Links

County Assessor Record
    Avana Website
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avana redo.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	7048   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	legacy2.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	7049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	legacy3.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	7050   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	legacyoriginal.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	7051  
    Last edited by Pete; 02-07-2011 at 03:32 PM.

2. Default Re: Legacy Summit at Arts Central Update

At least it's good to know the project is still alive. I believed it was, but I wasn't 100 percent sure.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

3. Default Re: Legacy Summit at Arts Central Update

I am actually kinda surprised that project still has some life in it. But, I am very, very glad that it does.

Default Re: Legacy Summit at Arts Central Update

Still, the article is rather vague as to when the project will turn dirt. It seems everything the OCURA touches turns to ****.

***UPDATE ***
    The name has changed to Legacy Summit at Arts Quarter now that the Arts District has added "Arts Quarter" to the area. Additionally, some of the first story walls have gone up today. I took pictures and will upload them into my gallery here shortly. Can't wait to see this sprout up.

Maybe if it gets delayed long enough they'll build something that won't suck.

Doubt it. Still waiting for mediocrity...

Quote Originally Posted by BDP
    Maybe if it gets delayed long enough they'll build something that won't suck.

Doubt it. Still waiting for mediocrity...
    Amen.

What is being built is quite different from what was originally proposed.

Par for the course from Mr. Henderson.

It'll be better than an empty field next to downtown, though...

Ultimately, Henderson will have to face the competition of more imaginative developments that are planned, underway, or to come.

The sophisticated urban dweller is a much harder to please than the typical suburbanite.

Perhaps this development will serve the lower end, that is after rents are forced down by other projects.

Check out the pics in my gallery. I'll take some more next week as well.

Just drove by a few minutes ago. Looks like they started putting walls up on the second story today! Although most of us agree the design of this complex could have been more urban, it will be a much appreciated sight compared to the eyesore that the empty field was. It will also bring some street level retail to the CBD.

Drove by this morning on my usual route to work, work has started on the 3rd story on a few buildings now. Can't wait to see some windows and exterior finish going in. I'll take some pics this week.

12. Default Re: Legacy Summit at Arts Central Update

I could look but i'm lazy. How many stories will this be total. 3?

13. Default Re: Legacy Summit at Arts Central Update

Four.

how urban.

15. Default Re: Legacy Summit at Arts Central Update

yes. very.

Patrick Guest

4 is better than 3, right? LOL! I don't think it's the height that makes the difference, as much as the way the structures are built.

18. Default Re: Legacy Summit at Arts Central Update

4 is definitely better than three. It makes the difference between suburban apartments and quasi-urban ones. Do we have any idea what kind of street level retail there will be? It would be a great place for a Starbucks.

Patrick Guest

Deep Deuce is 3 story, yet is was built with an urban feel......buildings on the street, parking in back.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Deep Deuce is 3 story, yet is was built with an urban feel......buildings on the street, parking in back.
    Patrick, is that similar to a mullet, business in the front, party in the back?? :tweeted:

I talked with their marketing manager yesterday at a Chamber event. Looks like they are slating Nov. 1st as their first move-ins as well as first retail to open up. No word yet on any retail tenants.

Private-public cooperation wins praise as new retail-residential complex grows

By Steve Lackmeyer
    The Oklahoman

After years of delays, a stretch of Walker Avenue that connects downtown’s Arts District and MidTown is being transformed from an eyesore filled with vacant lots and empty buildings to a reinvigorated urban corridor.
    The fifth and final floor is being built at the $30 million Legacy at Arts Quarter. Meanwhile, the city is tearing up Walker Avenue in front of the complex and replacing it with a “streetscape” that will result in new sidewalks, landscaping, vintage-style street lamps, curbside parking and a narrower street planners hope will be friendlier to pedestrians.

When the Legacy apartments open, the 303-unit complex with first-floor retail space will be downtown’s largest residential complex yet. Development coordinator Kathy Bridges said the project is on track for the first units to open by November.

“We’re getting a lot of calls from people wanting to live at Legacy,” Bridges said. “And we’re very close to getting some retail tenants. It’s going great, and we’re very excited.”

Such enthusiasm is a far cry from last winter, when Urban Renewal commissioners were threatening to cancel the development deal after two years of delays. Legacy developer Mike Henderson, however, had to overcome a string of complications ranging from dealings with the Department of Housing and Urban Development to a spike in construction costs caused by Hurricane Katrina.

“Though all of us would have liked to have seen this two years ago, the quality is there and the market is now ready,” said Dave Lopez, president of Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. “If it had come sooner, I’m not sure it would have had the demand it has now.”

The project involved extensive coordination with the downtown Tax Increment Financing District, which helped finance a 485-space, four-story garage for the complex and the reopening of Dewey Avenue between Legacy and the neighboring Sycamore Square.

The city timed construction of Walker so that the portion that passes the new complex will be ready when the first tenants arrive.

“The city has been fabulous working with us,” Bridges said. “We’ve coordinated through Urban Renewal to get all this timed right.”

Engineer Tim Johnson, whose firm designed the streetscape, said such private-public cooperation was critical to his project. Both Henderson and neighboring developer Rick Dowell agreed to pay for brick to be placed in plazas where a concrete in-lay will be installed by the city.

“The whole project will look better because the developers are stepping up and participating,” Johnson said.

Johnson’s $3.5 million streetscape will rebuild Walker Avenue between Robert S. Kerr Avenue and NW 13, and will also include a new roundabout at NW 10 and Shartel.

“It’s not friendly for pedestrians now,” Johnson said. “You used to have to walk on the grass where the apartments are being built. When done, it will be similar to what’s been done on NW 10. It will be better lit, and with the trees, it will be a lot cooler to walk through.

“Ten years from now, this will be a great place to take a walk.”

Living at Sycmore Square, I'm not sure I like the new neighbors. I think the building is a monstrosity, and a slightly better eyesore than that barren field that it replaced. Sycamore Square isn't exactly urban, but at least it's tucked away from the street. The Legacy is very close to RS Kerr, and I'd hate to live in those apartmetns. I'd only be happy if the retail space includes a grocery store, but that's a dream. I'm not talking a Homeland, but something more along the lines of Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. Ahh, to dream.

ruok2,

As a complex-neighbor, I can share your sentiment as to the need for a grocery store. I doubt that's happening with our new neighbors.

I'm just excited to see what kind of retail actually goes in -- and I pray that we don't see bail bondsmen setting up shop there.

“Ten years from now, this will be a great place to take a walk.”
    What the heck does Tim Johnson mean by that quote? Will they plant trees that are so small that it will be ten years before they produce any shade? Will it take ten years for retail or restaurants to move in?

Hopefully, it will be a nice place to walk as soon as the apartment opens, but Mr. Johnson's comment seems to apply to a lot of things this city has done in the past.

Thread Information