Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 400 N. Walnut

Default Re: 400 N. Walnut

I hate to say it but that seems extreme and unlikely... that kind of exaction would end up in courts probably.

All that remains to be seen are the plans going forward. It is extremely reasonable to force them to change their plans to retain key Georgian features. There has to be an essential nexus between exaction and public policy.

This is make or break time for whether or not OKC has any proactive standing left on HP. We used to have a grade of about C+, so not totally failing... (I just made that up to illustrate how we were doing until lately)

AGREE
    We can find What they planned in their design in most burbs. They can work around the front.

By the way, a friend of mine serves on a neighborhood commission in Columbus and was quoted in the media with the most awesome HP verdict ever: "We said there’s no way they can can rip down that old historic building, because it’s super cool and in good shape,” said Sudy

Italian Village Retail Proposal Gets Lukewarm Reception | ColumbusUnderground.com

HP is a matter of people serving on boards being passionate about their community and their role in it. We have sheeple who don't dare challenge the Junta or demand a stronger vision for the community, or at least A vision, in most part because that's the deliberate reason they were chosen for their roles. Notice what happens when someone like Anthony McDermid, who personally tried redeveloping the KerMac and India Temple, gets to vote on tearing it down. Was it Gigi Faulkner that they totally replaced? Who was the other architect that Cornett chose to not reappoint?

The point I'm making is that the politics of these things are more open than we realize. Citizens standing up to be heard and demand a civic vision can give these board members the cover they need to do the same, at least in subtle ways. The board members, whether it be DDRC, BOA, BUD, whatever - they all really do want to do the right thing for the most part, but it's really hard. They know they will be sacked if they go out on a limb.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    By the way, a friend of mine serves on a neighborhood commission in Columbus and was quoted in the media with the most awesome HP verdict ever: "We said there’s no way they can can rip down that old historic building, because it’s super cool and in good shape,” said Sudy

Italian Village Retail Proposal Gets Lukewarm Reception | ColumbusUnderground.com

HP is a matter of people serving on boards being passionate about their community and their role in it. We have sheeple who don't dare challenge the Junta or demand a stronger vision for the community, or at least A vision, in most part because that's the deliberate reason they were chosen for their roles. Notice what happens when someone like Anthony McDermid, who personally tried redeveloping the KerMac and India Temple, gets to vote on tearing it down. Was it Gigi Faulkner that they totally replaced? Who was the other architect that Cornett chose to not reappoint?

The point I'm making is that the politics of these things are more open than we realize. Citizens standing up to be heard and demand a civic vision can give these board members the cover they need to do the same, at least in subtle ways. The board members, whether it be DDRC, BOA, BUD, whatever - they all really do want to do the right thing for the most part, but it's really hard. They know they will be sacked if they go out on a limb.
    nice!

Good lord, what they're doing to this is going to be an abomination.

I was just thinking - Ron Bradshaw tore down those buildings across the street from this. Did he have permission? Maybe these developers thought there was precedence.

Yeah. I was wondering about the car wash too. Supposedly it was supposed to be incorporated into the new building plan.

Also, to note... The OIC that owned the building of discussion in this thread also owned 2-3 empty lots accross the street just to the south on 3rd.

Learned a lot more about this project...

First of all, the steps and weird planter thing were tacked onto the front of the west structure sometime in the 50's and thus not historic. Still, it was a mistake to remove them without the proper permits but at the same time, shouldn't have any bearing on the DDRC's decisions this Thursday.

The existing structures are actually two separate buildings, with the one on the east side being tacked on later. In the current configuration, it's all a bit of a mess which is why the entire property has been under-utilized for decades.

The architect is Martin Goldstein who is the chair of Denver's Landmark Preservation Commission and also did the design work for the award-winning Harding Shelton space in Bricktown:

The living units will initially be for rent but may be converted to condominiums later. They will be very upscale and unique.

Although no office space leases have been signed, they already have much interest.

There is the possibility of a Phase II on the east end of the large lot.

I'm clearly in the minority, but I love this design. Mixed use and a good blend of old and new, and we need for sale units in Deep Deuce desperately.

I do wonder about the long term longevity of the wood paneling. It's becoming en vouge now but I can't help to think a few Oklahoma summers will fry it to a crisp.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes because that would mean there is little chance they'll get in any real trouble over this.

They could be made to build them back otherwise,
    It looks like that might not be true.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/540...klahoma%20City

Thursday, Johnson was immediately challenged on the demolition before he was allowed to start the presentation on the proposed changes to the building.

“I would love to know why the applicant feels like they could make such significant changes to the building without applying to do so,” asked Betsy Brunsteter, chair of the committee.

“We stopped as soon as we saw it, and it was stopped,” Johnson answered. “An apology is what we have to offer.”

Committee members quickly warned they would reject the application because it would eliminate the current entrance, which features Georgian-style columns and a classical building entrance.

I hope it's rejected because I'm not a fan. The front facade is very charming and shouldn't be altered.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It looks like that might not be true.

They are talking about the entrance with the columns, not the steps that were removed.

Their current plans show that facade giving way to the new structure that will be built around it. That's the issue.

BTW, your constant attempts to prove me wrong on something -- anything -- is getting really old.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

They are talking about the entrance with the columns, not the steps that were removed.

Their current plans show that facade giving way to the new structure that will be built around it.

BTW, your constant attempts to prove me wrong on something -- anything -- is getting really old.
    That's not how I interpret it, Pete, but I'm not going to get into an argument with you. The steps that were removed lead up to the entrance with the columns and they were trying to change that and it did cause a problem for them. If you want to ban me for disagreeing with you, that's certainly up to you. None of us is always right and that means both us of.

It's amazing what happens when you make a threat to shut down the project, you even get an apology.
    Bravo to the BOARD.

Keep the current main building and add a wing on each side coming out to the sidewalk; effectivley making a big U. They can keep the facade, get rid of the large setback, and get a couple of more units in the same amount space. Problem solved. Next.

Spoke with a member of the development team today and he said they haven't yet decided if they will completely rework their plans or try and press forward pretty much as is.

They are very displeased because City planning staff had applied all the various design standards and merely made some small recommendations regarding some of the materials.

But the DDRC basically ignored all of that, so now the owners aren't sure which way to turn.

There are specific reasons the general layout was chosen, mainly to deal with the odd front which is essentially a 2nd level entrance which presents a big challenge in terms of modern ADA compliance.

In any event, the only outside demolition was on the non-historic steps that were going away regardless any redevelopment. Removing them without permit was a mistake which they apologized for but beyond that, it's pretty much a non-issue when it comes to the future of this property.

Hope this works out but there is at least some chance this project will stop altogether.

Apology issued for unpermitted demolition in Deep Deuce section of Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com

The article can now be read. Looks like they pissed off the review committee by demoing the steps without approval. Good. Those columns don't need to go anywhere, I hate the modern design they are trying to force on this building.

so is the real takeaway here that whatever the city planners decide to suggest, the board goes a different direction? Or maybe I've just had too much caffeine flowing in my system today.

The point is that a demo permit for the non original steps would have been admin approved. It should be a total non issue

Does ADA compliance override historic designs? If so, it sounds as though the stairs were not original and would need to be removed to make the structure ADA compliant anyway; so they were destined for removal.

21. Default Re: 400 N. Walnut

Although the historic qualities of this building are notable, requiring their preservation shouldn't disqualify the proposed adaptive reuse. This design should be rejected solely on its offensiveness to the senses... it would embarrass every space within view.

That said, accessibility requirements and preservation "requirements" and program functionality requirements can all be satisfied with good design. All that's needed is a different configuration plus an artistic application of form and materials. Venture Architecture needs to go back the drawing board.

This design should be rejected solely on its offensiveness to the senses
    This^

This project is set to go back to the Downtown Design Review Committee on April 16th.

They made some slight revisions to the exterior materials based on the feedback they received from City planning staff.

Also, they will keep the columns and front facade, although it will still be wrapped in a new front entrance.

This project seems to fall completely within the established guidelines.

The only real departure was with some of the materials, which is what they changed.

I don't think the committee has any grounds to deny this application.

It seems to me that keeping the colonnades and columns yet covering them up is just adhering to the letter but not the intent of historical preservation, which would be to keep it externally close to the same but remodeling or re-purposing it internally. The only way this seems to be better than the prior plans is that the colonnades and columns would be there waiting for sometime in the future when someone might take back down all the additions in front and restore the building to how it looked before.

Thread Information