Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price of pure gas

Default Re: Price of pure gas

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I think in Nichols hills you can 105 octane rating.
    That is the station on Western and Avondale and it used to carry 100 UL. I haven't been there in a few years so it may be different. I'm not aware of a 105 that is unleaded.

I think the VP racing fuel is the only 105 you can find anymore.

I see VP has 105 in both leaded and unleaded.

VP RACING FUELS MASTER FUEL TABLE

4. Default Re: Price of pure gas

Looking for an article I read a couple of years ago that gave a calculation for when its best to buy 100% gas of gas with ethanol - strictly from a cost per mile perspective. I want to say the dividing line was around a $.28 per gallon premium. Meaning, if the 100% was less than $.28 more than ethanol then buy 100%. If more than $.28 then your better cost per mile was to stick with ethanol. Of course it depends on your specific vehicle, but that was the general theme. Just can't remember for certain if $.28 was the magic number or not.

For me, I've always only gotten about 2-4 miles per gallon better using 100% gas in most any car I've owned.

What I had read as that using 100% can increase your mileage by up to 10%. And before prices raced past the $2/gal mark, the most I would pay for 100% was 10 cents/gal. However, IF you get 10% better mileage, the roughly 10% premium (currently about 30 cents/gal) is acceptable. Since switching to 100% on the recommendation of my mechanic and costly repairs due to the long-term damage caused by running ethanol (2002 Ford F-150), I am getting about 75 miles more on a tank full than before. Granted I will probably be paying for damage already caused but at least I won't be making it any worse.

Remember reading awhile back, that along with the Feds increasing the amount of ethanol, there was also talk about banning 100% completely. Thats fine if you have a newer car that is designed for the stuff but I don't think you would ever get back the money in gas savings (with cheaper fuel & higher mileage) than the prohibitive cost of a new vehicle. The old one is bought and paid for and even with repairs is still cheaper than a new car payment. Or as expensive as they are now, a lease that you never own.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Looking for an article I read a couple of years ago that gave a calculation for when its best to buy 100% gas of gas with ethanol - strictly from a cost per mile perspective. I want to say the dividing line was around a $.28 per gallon premium. Meaning, if the 100% was less than $.28 more than ethanol then buy 100%. If more than $.28 then your better cost per mile was to stick with ethanol. Of course it depends on your specific vehicle, but that was the general theme. Just can't remember for certain if $.28 was the magic number or not.

For me, I've always only gotten about 2-4 miles per gallon better using 100% gas in most any car I've owned.

That's probably not too far off, but like you said it all depends on the specific vehicle. The worse mileage in general your vehicle gets the bigger the difference you can get by with paying for clear gas. For most people out there with fullsize trucks and SUV's paying for 100% gas is almost always in their best interest.

I got gas at Walmart for 3.18 yesterday so I'll stick with ethanol when I can get it that much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by kelroy55 View Post
    I got gas at Walmart for 3.18 yesterday so I'll stick with ethanol when I can get it that much cheaper.
    Not sure what 100% gas was at that station (if it had it) but i paid $3.45 the other day at a shell for 100%. So an 8-9% increase in price, but a 15-20% increase in fuel mileage in my truck. So realistically, it's still cheaper to pay the higher price.

The 7/11 at SW104th and Penn has 100% for $3.28

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The 7/11 at SW104th and Penn has 100% for $3.28
    That station is usually pretty cheap when it comes 100% gas.

Thread Information