Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New South Norman Walmart

Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Hmmm. I'll see if I can find it.
    I don't think it was in a thread of it's own but was in another more general thread.

If Stillwater can handle two super Wal-Marts, then it should be even easier for Norman to handle 3 of them, since Norman is much, much bigger than Stillwater.

Now that's the thing though... I do not understand why Stillwater would need two Walmarts... wouldn't you rather have one Walmart Supercenter, One Neighborhood Market, and one Super Target

5. Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

There is also a (small) grocery store in Noble. Granted, not open 24 hours and not big and have everything under the sun, but it is there. I am afraid the new Walmart will destroy that business just like it did when it opened the supercenter in South Purcell. There was a grocery store on the south side that closed up, granted there is one on the North side now where the old Walmart used to be, but I am sure it struggles, it is fairly empty when I drive by it.

The thing that puzzles me of the council folk. Those who were against the southern Wallyworld going in were stating that this new WM would simply draw off existing dollars already spent in Norman, not generate new dollars.

If I accept that as financial gospel, it seems a fairly compelling reason to approve the site and not disapprove the site.

WM can build in south Norman, or can elect to build in north Noble if there is also land available (there is).

So if a WM in that general location is going to see tax dollars from elsewhere in Norman end up in that WM location, personally I prefer my council help land that store north of the Norman/Noble line than south of that tax direction boundary. I imagine folks I know in Noble would be quite pleased to see a big arse Wally world just inside their boundaries instead of just across the line in Norman's boundaries.

eatokc, what little I know about the United Foods on the north side of Purcell is that it does all right.

8. Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    eatokc, what little I know about the United Foods on the north side of Purcell is that it does all right.
    That is good to know. I have been in there and the grocery in Noble a few times and never found what I needed. If I did I would shop there when I could.

Were I a city father of Noble, I would have fought like crazy to have WM move south just enough to land just inside the Noble city limits. That's a no brainer.

And thus the problem with cities in Oklahoma having to heavily rely upon sales tax for funding....you have cities fighting and bending over backwards to get any kind of retail within their city limits.

12. Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    And thus the problem with cities in Oklahoma having to heavily rely upon sales tax for funding....you have cities fighting and bending over backwards to get any kind of retail within their city limits.
    The problem with Noble now is they have to rely on people speeding through the 35/25 MPH zones for funding. When I am going South once I get into the Noble city limits and all the way South on 77 I make sure I am going the speed limit. It is one big speed trap.

I don't rip roar through their community, but I've never been stopped, or even finger wagged, in Noble.

14. Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I don't rip roar through their community, but I've never been stopped, or even finger wagged, in Noble.
    Same here.... It's really not an issue if you are paying attention and obey the posted speed limits.... Two things people should always be doing when behind the wheel....... Guess it's just easier to complain about these "speed traps".

It might be time for new glasses I suppose, but the letters that spell the words limit and suggestion often look rather the same to me. Numbers look like numbers though. So in populated areas I tend to remain reasonably close to the suggested ones.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Same here.... It's really not an issue if you are paying attention and obey the posted speed limits.... Two things people should always be doing when behind the wheel....... Guess it's just easier to complain about these "speed traps".
    so do you think it's ok for a road that is the same all the way to all the sudden have lower speed limits for no reason what so ever other than to generate revenue?

17. Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

so do you think it's ok for a road that is the same all the way to all the sudden have lower speed limits for no reason what so ever other than to generate revenue?
    You have proof that's why the speed limit is lowered or is that just conjecture because you disapprove of the speed limit and are a known speeder?

You have proof that's why the speed limit is lowered or is that just conjecture because you disapprove of the speed limit and are a known speeder?
    Number one, my past record has nothing to do with it. If that is the best you got, then I don't know what to tell. How fast I drive has nothing to do with it.

Do I have proof? Of course not. Maybe not the same proof that I've an Edmond police officer tell me a person of minority race is more likely to be committing a crime, and officer I won't name, but solid proof like that, no; I don't.

I have something called common sense. When the speed limits are set on a road like Second St. and engineers come out and survey the road to recommend 'safe' speeds--which are usually lower than what they should be I might add--and then have small towns like Arcadia request lower speed limits way below what the speed limit should be, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what is happening.

I know what game you're playing, with the show me proof or you're wrong bs. At the end of the day, if you don't think a cop hiding behind a sign or in the bushes waiting for someone on road that mysteriously has the speed limit lowered from 55 all the way 25 isn't out for revenue, then my friend, you've been eating too much BBQ.

Perhaps my word isn't very credible due to my history, but again, it's known on here about my past and speeding and if that's all you have, then what evs. Pretty much everyone I've talked to agrees with me. Hell, I'm friends some police officers and they agree; but they're in big cities where they don't have to hide their practices because they don't have to rely on tickets for revenue.

19. Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

Number one, my past record has nothing to do with it. If that is the best you got, then I don't know what to tell. How fast I drive has nothing to do with it.
    How fast you drive has everything to do with it... Take a guess how many speeding tickets I've been given for obeying the posted speed limit.

Common sense dictates that you pay attention and you follow the rules. Not paying attention or disregarding the posted speed limits will get you zero sympathy from me.

Not trying to get any sympathy from you. Not sure why you'd think that. You have views, I have mine

21. Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

I know what game you're playing, with the show me proof or you're wrong bs. At the end of the day, if you don't think a cop hiding behind a sign or in the bushes waiting for someone on road that mysteriously has the speed limit lowered from 55 all the way 25 isn't out for revenue, then my friend, you've been eating too much BBQ.
    While the speed may drop a bit early on 77 going down into Noble, I don't see how it can't be justified to be 25 through downtown Noble. You have on street parking, it narrows to just 2 lanes of traffic, and it can get fairly congested with cars and people crossing the street. It isn't some highway bypass that has nothing on it. At least know the stretch of road being discussed before chiming in.

Regardless, this has nothing to do with Walmart for the most part...so I'll stop there.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    While the speed may drop a bit early on 77 going down into Noble, I don't see how it can't be justified to be 25 through downtown Noble. You have on street parking, it narrows to just 2 lanes of traffic, and it can get fairly congested with cars and people crossing the street. It isn't some highway bypass that has nothing on it. At least know the stretch of road being discussed before chiming in.

Regardless, this has nothing to do with Walmart for the most part...so I'll stop there.
    I was talking about Arcadia....

23. Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

I was talking about Arcadia....
    Why are you talking about Arcadia in a thread about Norman/Noble?

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Why are you talking about Arcadia in a thread about Norman/Noble?
    Yes. I was referring to a town that I know very well, like you were complaining about me referencing places I don't know. I suppose I just placed Noble into the majority of small Oklahoma towns on state highways that rely on people doing a measly 5-15 over, mostly just 5 over, to write tickets. I know several people who have been pulled over on a state highway that is designed to carry vehicular traffic that have been written tickets for 5 over.

I've been extremely lucky and only been written warnings in the past.

The reason I referred to Arcadia is because BBQ Eater didn't specifically name out Noble; I only assumed he referring to Oklahoma in general by this statement.

Guess it's just easier to complain about these "speed traps".[
    When you can do 145mph on a highway in Dallas and be pulled over and let off with a warning(no, it was not me, it was a video I saw, but I know other instances personally that have happened) on major highway with no traffic, then you look at a small town that pulls you over for 5 or so over the limit, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to peace together the pieces. Funny enough, the only tickets I have really received were from small towns. A couple in Edmond, 8 in Arcadia(if you go access my driving record, you will not see those, I just think that is hilarious).

Also, it should be important to note that "how I drive" is different than how I 'drove'. Two difference grammatical tense usages there. I've openly voiced out how I have drove in the past when I probably shouldn't of, but that has nothing to do how I drive now. Whether it is me having no other choice because I'm on a thine line or doing it out of sheer volition has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion of what a speed trap is designed for. It's only how people will use your past against you because they are pathetic savages that have nothing else on you. It is that simple.

So again, if you're fine with a speed limit on a state highway going from 55 to 25 with a matter of 2-3 miles and cops sitting behind signs and bushes almost 24/7 ticketing people for doing 5 over, then come out and say it, but please don't bring up people's past and then differing from the question by asking another question.

You ask me a question, and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge as truthfully as I can.

Let me add, I'm not advocating anyone be blazing balls through a small town. Even when I sped, it was never in school zones or residential areas. Almost 99% of my tickets have came from violations on a highway or a country road out in the middle of nowhere. No one should go flying through a small town in a car.

I'm not sure when the grand opening occurred but I went ahead and traveled all the way to the south Norman Wal-Mart Supercenter this weekend to check out the store. I was surprised that it was not packed full of shoppers but that could of been an illusion due to its size. The store seems larger to me than most of the other Supercenters in the OKC area. I was impressed with the bicycle parking corral but I imagine the city of Norman stipulated the construction before the plans were approved. I really liked the new design of the Tires & Lube Express department. I also noticed that the number of sinks in the men's restroom has been trimmed to two.

Thread Information