Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New South Norman Walmart

Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

re Sam's Club they will thrive and I would imagine not likely to leave Norman. With the announcement of COSTCO coming, I am sure we will see a COSTCO soon in Norman. A town this size can support both. Sam's and COSTCO coexist within miles of each other all over the country. Just waiting for In-n-Out !! Norman is booming !!!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    if non-melting ice cream is disturbing to someone, that person ought to give all fast/convenience food a very wide berth. Some of it makes twinkies look like slackers.
    Jim Gaffigan has a hilarious bit about McDonalds and how their fries only taste good when still hot out of the fryer and how their shakes only taste good when still solid (and fresh from the autodog). Leave either one of them alone for 15 minutes and they start to look and taste alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The displacement of these folks along with the deforestation of that area is shameful.
    Im far from being a tree hugger, but it is a shame what they did to the beautiful park like setting. Im sure there was somewhere else they could have located the market.

Quote Originally Posted by YO MUDA View Post
    Im far from being a tree hugger, but it is a shame what they did to the beautiful park like setting. Im sure there was somewhere else they could have located the market.
    I agree. It was a trailer park but it seemed pretty well taken care of. I was kind of excited to see what went in there. I went on vacation and came back and all the trees are gone. Ugh! I have to drive by that every day to get to work, once Walmart is up there it's going to be time to find another way home.

5. Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

Norman City Council approved the Walmart rezoning at 1 AM this morning after a 7 hour meeting. The change was approved due to the city needing sales tax revenue.

Seven hours? Hopefully there were numerous items which were far more pressing and important to the city to have fretted over than whether to say yea or nay to having a Wally world on the south side of town.

7. Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

I believe it went that long because of all of the citizens that were there objecting to it. Side note someone had made a comment that the mayor deferred voting until all the council members finished to allegedly see how it played out before putting support in one bucket or the other.

Municipal funding procedures are in bad need of reform. Retail development, while definitely important for a community's growth, shouldn't be the primary concern in economic development activities by local governments.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    I believe it went that long because of all of the citizens that were there objecting to it. Side note someone had made a comment that the mayor deferred voting until all the council members finished to allegedly see how it played out before putting support in one bucket or the other.
    I've heard they tend to let folks go on a long time. I do get letting folk have their say, but sometimes you just need to set a time limit, take the ones you can form both sides, and make a dang decision. the voters can then communicate their job approval, or lack of it, at the polls.

I do not tend to follow their processes all that close. Does the sitting mayor not regularly vote at the end of the roll call votes?

Regarding the neighborhood market:

• University Greens
    • Emerald Greens
    • The Commons on Oak Tree
    • The Cottages of Norman
    • Forest Pointe
    • Hampton Woods
    • Crimson Park
    • The Grove
    • The Ave
    • The Edge

These are all giant student apartment complexes within *extremely* close distance to this new market. Currently, each student in all these complexes drives either all the way to Alameda/12th (The nice Homeland), Main/12th (Walmart), or Robinson/24th (Target/Crest). This is the first legitimate grocery option for all the students on this side of town. Not to mention the closest option for all these new housing subdivisions off of highway 9 right around the corner as well.

While I'm sure we'll all miss our dear beloved trailer park and meth labs, I think we'll move on and this is a good investment for the students.

I thought we were talking about the new supercenter at highway 9 and Classen. This will be south of the neighborhood market.

No you're right, most were. I was just replying to the people from earlier in this thread arguing that removing the trailer park was a shame.

Did that area have a big problem with the meth labs?

14. Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Did that area have a big problem with the meth labs?
    I believe the meth labs was sarcasm... I know it's hard to detect here... Who knows. Maybe your question was sarcastic too?

No, I was curious. I had not ever heard that the area was a crime hotspot. I really hated to lose the old trees and the animals and birds. There are parts of Norman where it would not surprise me at all to find meth labs but this was not one of them. I think it is a sad thing that Norman is so sprawly and it is very sad that we have so many Walton Enterprises we can't tell them apart.

16. Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by WestbrookStyle View Post
    No you're right, most were. I was just replying to the people from earlier in this thread arguing that removing the trailer park was a shame.
    Do you have any prior knowledge of that park? You do realize it wasn't your typical run of the mill trailer park, right? Or are you just making comments with no basis?

Most trailer parks I've seen are garbage. So I would assume he was just asking a legit question. From what I saw, this trailer park was pretty cool. I've seen some really cool trailer parks, but most are white trash.

18. Default Re: New South Norman Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Most trailer parks I've seen are garbage. So I would assume he was just asking a legit question. From what I saw, this trailer park was pretty cool. I've seen some really cool trailer parks, but most are white trash.
    Where was he asking a question or did you not read what he wrote?

My bad, I don't know what I was thinking. Perhaps I just didn't read it right.

Quote Originally Posted by WestbrookStyle View Post
    Regarding the neighborhood market:

• University Greens
    • Emerald Greens
    • The Commons on Oak Tree
    • The Cottages of Norman
    • Forest Pointe
    • Hampton Woods
    • Crimson Park
    • The Grove
    • The Ave
    • The Edge

These are all giant student apartment complexes within *extremely* close distance to this new market. Currently, each student in all these complexes drives either all the way to Alameda/12th (The nice Homeland), Main/12th (Walmart), or Robinson/24th (Target/Crest). This is the first legitimate grocery option for all the students on this side of town. Not to mention the closest option for all these new housing subdivisions off of highway 9 right around the corner as well.

While I'm sure we'll all miss our dear beloved trailer park and meth labs, I think we'll move on and this is a good investment for the students.
    Nonsense. The current WalMart is all of three miles away. What an inconvenient distance to drive. Groceries can be had there, the new Market being built, Buy For Less or Homeland. To insinuate this former trailer park was trashy or had a drug culture shows your utter lack of knowledge of the area.

Wow. 3 Miles is apparently too far for some to drive for a Walmart.... if you're about walkablity, I don't think Walmart is the place you're looking for either. I'm still in shock at the number of Walmart here in OKC. I've been meaning to post a thread adding up every Walmart in this city and comparing us to other cities, I just honestly haven't had the time to do the research, but I will.

. I'm still in shock at the number of Walmart here in OKC. I've been meaning to post a thread adding up every Walmart in this city and comparing us to other cities, I just honestly haven't had the time to do the research, but I will.
    I'm no going to take the time to hunt for it, but, that has been discussed here previously, plupan.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm no going to take the time to hunt for it, but, that has been discussed here previously, plupan.
    The number of Walmarts in OKC Vs. other cities?

The number of Walmarts in OKC Vs. other cities?
    Yes

Hmmm. I'll see if I can find it.

Thread Information