Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257107 ... LastLast

Thread: OG&E Energy Center

Default Re: South of Stage Center

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, unless there is an application to abandon the easement, which may happen if Clayco is selected as the developer.

But, Clayco won't be the only bidder for this property.
    How many bidders besides clayco are you hearing? You think continental us interested?

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    How many bidders besides clayco are you hearing? You think continental us interested?
    I hope to be able to share more soon.

But in any event, all cards will be on the table October 6th.

I love these OCURA RFP's because they only give 60 days to respond and then BAM! full conceptual plans are made public.

As I said before, in the case of Clayco their plans will almost certainly provide more details for the Stage Center site, as their stated intention was to bridge and coordinate the two sites in some way.

I suspect this is why we haven't seen any more plans for OG&E yet; that, and waiting for the Stage Center to be completely cleared to try and create some separation from the demolition controversy.

^^^^^^

Steve's been doing some work. Kudos to him.

Sounds like it could bode well for the property if Frankfurt holds true to his original ambitions.

Oooo, great article from Steve.

Yea, great work Steve. These are the types of articles I like reading, requires some digging and research, not just chasing City council meetings, and OCURA agendas.

A little twin tower action in OKC? I'm down.

So, this solves the mystery as to who the other bidder was for Stage Center. Turns out it was Frankfort before he joined Clayco.

But it begs another huge question: Why was OG&E and Rainey Williams selected instead of his twin tower proposal?

I've said it several times but Stage Center should have gone through OCURA, just like the property to the south is now.

I realize the City didn't own Stage Center but they could have easily acquired it, as they have with many other properties around downtown. Then, they could have taken responsibility for demolition (assuming they couldn't find a redeveloper) and chosen the highest and best use for this critical property.

As it is, we'll likely never know much about other proposals and why Rainey Williams won out.

Makes me wonder, if Clayco is not the highest bidder for the south location then they will utilize their OG&E site better and build the residential/hotel as a taller building or maybe have OG&E combined with spec office space. Maybe they could utilize the space better and have OG&E with a smaller floor plan but taller tower and have a second office tower along with OG&E and the res/hotel tower.

Default Re: Possible New Development South of Stage Center

I dunno Pete. It's one thing for a NFP org. to sell off the SC property as a financial suck they can not longer abide.
    Had the city stepped up to acquire the property, the whole matter might still be tied up with a yea or nay skirmish on trying to revitalize the property.

Pete or anyone in the know, what kind and how many towers do you all envision being built on this site? I am guessing the OG&E of 16 of approx 16 stories (absolutely sucks), and maybe a couple of twin towers of I have no idea how many stories. It would sure be nice if we got at least one high rise and a couple of mid/high rise towers for this property.

Clayco had hinted about hotel and residential use but that's all I know at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by soondoc View Post
    Pete or anyone in the know, what kind and how many towers do you all envision being built on this site? I am guessing the OG&E of 16 of approx 16 stories (absolutely sucks), and maybe a couple of twin towers of I have no idea how many stories. It would sure be nice if we got at least one high rise and a couple of mid/high rise towers for this property.
    I'm sick of seeing posts like this. "absolutely sucks"?

A 16 floor tower would be the tallest proposed development in this city in more than 6 years. (Yes Devon Tower started heating up in 2008.) How is that absolutely terrible? I'm excited.

I'm hopeful that Clayco may be buying and developing the lots on the Stage Center block Rainey Williams plans to sell regardless if they win the rights to develop this property to the south.

I'm hopeful that Clayco may be buying and developing the lots on the Stage Center block Rainey Williams plans to sell regardless if they win the rights to develop this property to the south.
    The way this is shaking out, it seems like this was more and more of the plan.

Find a local guy who isn't a big name, but still has the resources and connections to purchase the property. Have him take care of the demo while Clayco and OG&E stay as far away as possible. Once it's demolished, have someone "brand new" come in and do the heavy lifting.

So, this solves the mystery as to who the other bidder was for Stage Center. Turns out it was Frankfort before he joined Clayco.

But it begs another huge question: Why was OG&E and Rainey Williams selected instead of his twin tower proposal?

I've said it several times but Stage Center should have gone through OCURA, just like the property to the south is now.

I realize the City didn't own Stage Center but they could have easily acquired it, as they have with many other properties around downtown. Then, they could have taken responsibility for demolition (assuming they couldn't find a redeveloper) and chosen the highest and best use for this critical property.

As it is, we'll likely never know much about other proposals and why Rainey Williams won out.
    I just don't think this is all pre ordained from the original RFP. Wasn't there a lot of chatter that Rainey had wanted Pickard Chilton, which then said no? From what I've seen in my brief career in Ohio, Clayco doesn't outsource design. They use Forum.

Btw Pete - I might have a Clayco contact you can try, if you're up for some sleuthing.

Sorry, I am not opposed to any 16 story building usually. It is more or less that this property deserves something very significant and that will impact our skyline. I like the fact it may get multiple towers however, as long as one of them has some significant height that can balance our the skyline because it really needs that.

Quote Originally Posted by soondoc View Post
    Sorry, I am not opposed to any 16 story building usually. It is more or less that this property deserves something very significant and that will impact our skyline. I like the fact it may get multiple towers however, as long as one of them has some significant height that can balance our the skyline because it really needs that.
    If there is any consolation for anyone worrying about height, I recently, in the last few weeks, saw an interview from a Clayco representative who made the statement that they realize that building height matters on this site. That might just bode well for the SC site as well. We should know more in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    If there is any consolation for anyone worrying about height, I recently, in the last few weeks, saw an interview from a Clayco representative who made the statement that they realize that building height matters on this site. That might just bode well for the SC site as well. We should know more in the next few months.
    I'm guessing you are thinking of the comments from Larry Chapman who was quoted in Steve's updated article, originally linked back on page one of the thread.

The proposal doesn't matter. It's who makes it and from where.

^

Which is why I wish this would have gone through OCURA, so these things are much more open and the people making the decisions are accountable to the public.

Also, because in their new incarnation they've been pretty darn stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I'm guessing you are thinking of the comments from Larry Chapman who was quoted in Steve's updated article, originally linked back on page one of the thread.
    Yes, Bingo. This is it -

Larry Chapman, a partner in Clayco Realty Group, said the development team inquired about the property’s future and was told the city eventually planned to seek a development plan.

“What happens in the future will have a huge impact on our site,” Chapman said. “Pete Delaney (CEO of OGE Energy Corp.) is very interested in seeing something next door that is very nice, He said if it’s available, let’s look at it and have something much bigger, something that is mixed use. We’re talking about doing something that is far bigger, far more robust.”

Chapman said any potential development of the south half of the block would not result in dropping the previously announced 16- to 18-story height of the OGE Energy Corp. tower. Chapman said an expanded development likely will include housing and a hotel.

“Everyone wants to see more height here, and that’s a good goal to have,” Chapman said.

Default Re: Possible New Development South of Stage Center

Give him a million, send him on his way.
    A small point that may have been observed in another thread, but I noticed a 'for sale' sign today in front of James Dunn's office building,

^

Good.

Of course, whoever has the winning RFP response can build around him but if that was to happen, there wouldn't be a lot that could be done with his property which Dunn probably realizes.

Thread Information