it makes Devon's seem ... boring?

Will California be reopened?
    Will "eminent domain" be spoken?
    Can a million upon Mr. Dunn rained
    make him exit to the south of Spain?

Can the Superblock ever be displaced?
    Will the Arts Festival find new space?
    and although you may justly call me a varlet:
    "really, will any of this ever make us as good as Charlotte?".

I realize I risk being banned, but duuude, sometimes you just got to flow.

Default Re: Possible New Development South of Stage Center

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Why don't they use an architect to design a good project, rather than to take heat. This isn't difficult.
    This whole thing has been a bit shifty. That usually results in an ending that leaves people scratching their heads. This may end up being nice and probably a "success", but I think it's a long shot for it to be unique or impressive in any way.

Clayco's involvement gives me hope. They are a big-time sophisticated design/build and development company.

But frankly, it's very hard to understand what is happening here:
    1. What is the nature of Clayco's involvement in the Rainey Williams project? Are they just consultants (as he has stated in the press), architects (which we heard some time ago), development partner, buying one or more of the extra parcels on the Stage Center site for their own development plans, etc?
    2. Has Rainey Williams' role been reduced through the introduction of Clayco?
    3. Who exactly is involved with this South Parcel proposal? Just Clayco or do they have other partners?

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll know any more for a while. The process is that the basic info will be presented to the City Council tomorrow then OCURA meets on Wednesday to approve the issuance of an RFP.

Don't know when the RFP will be formally posted (likely very soon), but from that point there is 60 days before responses are due. Shortly after that, OCURA will unveil the proposals. But even then, there is a whole other process of selecting one that is best (if in fact there is at least one that seems to be acceptable). And then, of course, you have to have agreements with OCURA, go through the design review process, etc.

All of this will likely hold up the OG&E building and parking structure until it can be resolved.

Hopefully, the end result will be a better overall project.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    This whole thing has been a bit shifty. That usually results in an ending that leaves people scratching their heads. This may end up being nice and probably a "success", but I think it's a long shot for it to be unique or impressive in any way.
    What do you mean not unique or impressive? We are going to be getting the worlds largest parking garage super block.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    What do you mean not unique or impressive? We are going to be getting the worlds largest parking garage super block.
    I doubt that, surely there are bigger elsewhere. Even if so, I don't mind this super block. There are tons of smaller blocks, not every super block is bad or needs to be broken up.

Yes super blocks downtown are a detriment and outstanding negative factor to walkability.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Yes super blocks downtown are a detriment and outstanding negative factor to walkability.
    I disagree with that. If every block was a super block, then I'd agree more with you, but a few blocks here and there, I don't see it. Tons of people walk around the Cox Center, and that is a super block.

BTW, I'd super putting a street through the Cox Center to divide it up, but not the block through the Stage Center. I'd just assume put a sidewalk through there and keep the block the way it is.

8. Default Re: Possible New Development South of Stage Center

It's science.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    It's science.
    oh...... I love science!

10. Default Re: Possible New Development South of Stage Center

I think the connection between Walker and Hudson along the old California area should remain in some form, for pedestrians and possibly bicycles, but not for vehicles. With the whole block on their hand, there are some really cool possibilities. Maybe they could create a retail/pedestrian promenade between OG&E and the extended development where the Arts Festival plaza is now? IF they have the desire and vision, California wouldn't need to be reopened to vehicular traffic in order to make the block more friendly to those on foot.

There was an item on the City Council agenda today (see this post for the memo from Jim Couch) where the RFP for this property was discussed.

Nothing new was revealed, other than Mr. Couch said that Clayco has been brought in as a "developer" for the Stage Center site and would like to include the south parcel as well.

This is sounding more and more like Clayco is taking an ownership interest in the Stage Center development; and they certainly would be serving in that role when the submit their RFP as part of this process.

Tomorrow, OCURA is expected to approve the RFP and get it issued soon, so Clayco and any other interested parties can submit their proposals within 60 days.

There was an article in the Journal Record today that quoted a principal at Clayco, talking about why they became interested in the parcel south of Stage Center:

“When you start to look at that (property), one: What are they going to build there someday? Because if it’s good, then we’re happy, and if it’s bad, we might want to protect ourselves from it,” Chapman said.
    This sure sounds like they are going to have a big ownership stake in the OG&E development.

He also said they are looking at a combination of office, housing and hotel for the southern portion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There was an article in the Journal Record today that quoted a principal at Clayco, talking about why they became interested in the parcel south of Stage Center:

This sure sounds like they are going to have a big ownership stake in the OG&E development.

He also said they are looking at a combination of office, housing and hotel for the southern portion.
    Could this possibly be the full service Marriott that was hinted at?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Could this possibly be the full service Marriott that was hinted at?
    Not the one I've been talking about.

Not the one I've been talking about.
    Are certain it will be Bricktown if built?

It sounds like they want to own the southern portion of this block just to prevent anybody else from buying & building on it. Why do they deserve that right when they themselves are building something that is a complete waste of resources in relation to the value of the property?

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    It sounds like they want to own the southern portion of this block just to prevent anybody else from buying & building on it. Why do they deserve that right when they themselves are building something that is a complete waste of resources in relation to the value of the property?
    They will only receive that "right" if their proposal is the one that OCURA selects, and I doubt OCURA is going to select a proposal for an empty field.

Plus, we still don't really know what Clayco is going to propose and build. The earlier renderings were less than impressive, but were those renderings even from the final design firm?

The only renderings we've seen are conceptual versions from ADG.

A new architectural firm -- presumably Clayco -- is working on the final plans.

I suspect when Clayco makes their formal submission to the RFP for this property, we will also get a glimpse of the Stage Center plans as well, since their stated intention is to bridge the two developments.

The only renderings we've seen are conceptual versions from ADG.

A new architectural firm -- presumably Clayco -- is working on the final plans.

I suspect when Clayco makes their formal submission to the RFP for this property, we will also get a glimpse of the Stage Center plans as well, since their stated intention is to bridge the two developments.
    Somewhere I read the interview from the Clayco spokesperson on this site and he made the statement that they realize 'height' matters. I kind of wonder if OG&E will also be a surprise in a good way.

Blog Entries

I'm a little worried they are acquiring the south portion to "hold" it. Are there protections against this in the OCURA RFP?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I'm a little worried they are acquiring the south portion to "hold" it. Are there protections against this in the OCURA RFP?
    Yes, when OCURA enters into contracts with developers there are all types of date-driven milestones set.

Often, the property doesn't fully transfer to the developer until all terms are completed.

If substantial construction doesn't start within a specified period of time (usually two years) the property is taken back. This is what happened with Chuck Wiggin's never-started project where the Edge is now being built.

Also, the RFP is open to anyone, so Clayco's proposal will have to be the "best". Applicants are not made aware of who else might be applying or what their proposal entails until after all due date, when OCURA reveals them in a public meeting; in this case, 60 days after the RFP is posted.

OCURA meets today to formally approve the RFP process and I would guess the RFP will be issued in the next few weeks.

22. Default Re: Possible New Development South of Stage Center

I really wish local architecture firms would get a shot at some of these larger OKC developments.

Blog Entries

But it's an open RFP process. Don't they get the same shot everybody else does?

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I really wish local architecture firms would get a shot at some of these larger OKC developments.
    Most often, the bigger developers bring in a national/regional architectural firm with great experience and then they partner with locals for various aspects of the project.

It's a little chicken & egg because you can't get the big jobs until you have done them, so at least in this sense a lot of the local firms are gaining much needed experience.

There is definitely some advantages to having out of state architects doing work.

Was Legacy at Arts Quarter designed by a local or out of state architect?

Thread Information