Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Economic Reports

Default Re: Oklahoma City Economic Reports

2. Default Re: Oklahoma City Economic Reports

I'd bet Elon took several calls from Governors the last couple of days trying to lure them to the state.

Well at least Oklahoma is trying.

One idea for a Giga Truck factory is that it is built on I-44 between Tulsa and OKC being midway and less than a 50 minute drive between each city. For anyone thinking that is too far remember that commute times with these centers located in major cities can easily be twice that.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Well at least Oklahoma is trying.

One idea for a Giga Truck factory is that it is built on I-44 between Tulsa and OKC being midway and less than a 50 minute drive between each city. For anyone thinking that is too far remember that commute times with these centers located in major cities can easily be twice that.
    The only big advantage is if the company needs a lot of land to build on priced cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    The only big advantage is if the company needs a lot of land to build on priced cheap.
    I know I’m dwelling completely into fantasy territory here if I wasn’t already there but this could further be reason to run a rail line down the ROW of I-44 connecting OKC and Tulsa maintaining an average speed of 110-120 MPH. A theoretical stop could be in the middle at a Tesla factory. Not to mention we already have commuter service between the two cities via bus.

It could even entertain the idea of a super airport between the two cities which could needed a few decades down the road if OKC and Tulsa truly take off.

Lots of great possibilities for a real rail connection between the two cities.

It's surely more realistic for a Tesla plant or mega airport to be built between San Antonio and Austin.

It's surely more realistic for a Tesla plant or mega airport to be built between San Antonio and Austin.
    I am not sure about airport needs but Austin has some good connections. The best thing about combined air travel from OKC and Tulsa is more connections for both cities but the issue boils down to driving distance and a costly HSR system which is a non-starter.

I highly suspect Tesla moves to Austin possibly both of its operations.

Musk is building the Gigafactory in Austin per reports.

Musk is building the Gigafactory in Austin per reports.
    Tulsa also in the mix https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...y-end-of-2020/

10. Default Re: Oklahoma City Economic Reports

10,000 jobs would be incredible for the state not to mention Tulsa.

11. Default Re: Oklahoma City Economic Reports

We need to get Texas to piss off Elon otherwise if he says he wants it in Texas he usually gets his way. We dont even have a service station for Tesla in Oklahoma, I don't expect to get a factory.

This would probably push Tulsa ahead of OKC, wouldn't it? Do we really need Tulsa getting ahead of OKC?

It won't be Tulsa, but good on the city and state for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    This would probably push Tulsa ahead of OKC, wouldn't it? Do we really need Tulsa getting ahead of OKC?
    Does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Probably Tulsa is so far behind it wouldn't quite be ahead. At any rate it's what Oklahoma as a state needs. If a backward state like Alabama can have a car production plant, why can't Oklahoma, which has had one before? Texas doesn't seem all that super. The article said Texas has been passed over for Tesla facilities in the past.

Does it matter?
    Selfishly, yes. I like that OKC has gotten positive publicity recently. But something like that would shift all focus from OKC to Tulsa, leaving people with the old negative views of OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    Selfishly, yes. I like that OKC has gotten positive publicity recently. But something like that would shift all focus from OKC to Tulsa, leaving people with the old negative views of OKC.
    Tulsa as a whole is extremely unimpressive to me as it is tiny but they do well with a specific part of their city and it looks good to outsiders. OKC still doesn’t have a large swath of city with expensive homes, shops, divided streets, nicely decorated highways.

If Tulsa somehow managed to get this, it would be great for the entire state not just Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    10,000 jobs would be incredible for the state not to mention Tulsa.
    The sheer tax revenue coming to 23rd would be insane. Not to mention supply chain coming to Tulsa, but OKC would grab some as well. All 4 mega cities in Texas feed off each, they compete but also compliment. Same thing here

HangryHippo Guest

Probably Tulsa is so far behind it wouldn't quite be ahead. At any rate it's what Oklahoma as a state needs. If a backward state like Alabama can have a car production plant, why can't Oklahoma, which has had one before? Texas doesn't seem all that super. The article said Texas has been passed over for Tesla facilities in the past.
    Alabama also has an Airbus airplane manufacturing plant. For a backwards state, that's a hell of a thing to have.

Alabama really has a pretty good aerospace and space industry.

Make my words: Oklahoma is going to become a major player. I just feel it. We probably won’t land this Tesla factory but that isn’t the endgame.

Make my words: Oklahoma is going to become a major player. I just feel it. We probably won’t land this Tesla factory but that isn’t the endgame.
    Oklahoma is no slouch when it comes to aerospace either. If combined with Wichita it is one of the biggest industry clusters in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I'd bet Elon took several calls from Governors the last couple of days trying to lure them to the state.
    Upon further review that Stitt phone call wasn’t just a please please please come here pitch lol

Well, yeah, other companies looking to expand will wonder why Musk picked Tulsa as a finalist, rather than Omaha, Kansas City, Memphis and a bunch of other places in the mid section.

25. Default Re: Oklahoma City Economic Reports

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Upon further review that Stitt phone call wasn’t just a please please please come here pitch lol
    I'm happy to see that. Would be awesome for the state to get this plant.

Thread Information