Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Economic Reports

Default Re: Oklahoma City Economic Reports

Just the jump from 70 to over 80 billion dollars since 2016 is really good. That shows how quickly the city jumped back after the oil price collapse of 2014 and how resilient we really are.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    https://newsok.com/article/5614766/o...dscape-evolves

A slight slowdown for the mid September to mid October period. (It did rain a bunch, that affects a lot more than you think).

Online sales tax continues to surge
    Other cities, such as Stillwater, are finding tax revenues higher than projections.

State budget projected to be flat next year.

https://oklahoman.com/article/565038...flat-next-year

OKC metro(and Lawton) adding jobs while every other city(including tulsa metro) is loosing jobs in the state. Good news for OKC and shows the city is a doing a good job becoming a regional powerhouse but not so good for trends around the state.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/...1c0b3b145.html

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    OKC metro(and Lawton) adding jobs while every other city(including tulsa metro) is loosing jobs in the state. Good news for OKC and shows the city is a doing a good job becoming a regional powerhouse but not so good for trends around the state.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/...1c0b3b145.html
    I hope rural towns doing the most to add new medical marijuana dispensaries are helping a lot to add jobs to counter job losses. In Stillwater, licenses have been issued for 37 dispensaries. A few experienced people from legal states have moved in to help support them. Apparently, it's assumed that college students will be the main customers. Compare that number to Enid's, which is only 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I hope rural towns doing the most to add new medical marijuana dispensaries are helping a lot to add jobs to counter job losses. In Stillwater, licenses have been issued for 37 dispensaries. A few experienced people from legal states have moved in to help support them. Apparently, it's assumed that college students will be the main customers. Compare that number to Enid's, which is only 18.
    Do you think that is beneficial long term? I wonder how many of these dispensaries will last? I am thinking of opening one and moving back to Oklahoma to help my father until this summer when I will go back to Cali.

Do you think that is beneficial long term? I wonder how many of these dispensaries will last? I am thinking of opening one and moving back to Oklahoma to help my father until this summer when I will go back to Cali.
    You know it takes way more than a couple of months to open a dispensary, right? Might take that long just to get the permits, built out and get a good supplier. Also, there's going to be a shakeout in the dispensary industry just like there will be in the restaurant industry here, there are just way too many of each for this metro area to support. Dispensaries are already closing, just like restaurants are already closing.

^^^ No, I am not familiar with the process. I haven’t even started it. I agree with you a shakeout is in the horizon for dispensaries.

I did some Census research and when looking at the Oklahoma City Metropolitan Statistical Area I noticed the counties included kept shifting. I could assume that would happen as the metro grows, however, Pottawatomie County was included and then dropped in the 2010 census as Lincoln and Grady were added.

1960 - 1979 = Canadian, Cleveland and Oklahoma
    1980 - 1989 = Canadian, Cleveland, McClain, Oklahoma and Pottawatomie
    1990 - 2009 = Canadian, Cleveland, Logan, McClain, Oklahoma and Pottawatomie
    2010 - 2020 = Canadian, Cleveland, Grady, Lincoln, Logan, McClain and Oklahoma

Considering the regular "Include Shawnee or Not" conversation, I though it was interesting to see Pottawatomie included and then excluded. With the 2020 Census coming, I'm interested to see if the boundaries change again.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Jamison View Post
    I did some Census research and when looking at the Oklahoma City Metropolitan Statistical Area I noticed the counties included kept shifting. I could assume that would happen as the metro grows, however, Pottawatomie County was included and then dropped in the 2010 census as Lincoln and Grady were added.

1960 - 1979 = Canadian, Cleveland and Oklahoma
    1980 - 1989 = Canadian, Cleveland, McClain, Oklahoma and Pottawatomie
    1990 - 2009 = Canadian, Cleveland, Logan, McClain, Oklahoma and Pottawatomie
    2010 - 2020 = Canadian, Cleveland, Grady, Lincoln, Logan, McClain and Oklahoma

Considering the regular "Include Shawnee or Not" conversation, I though it was interesting to see Pottawatomie included and then excluded. With the 2020 Census coming, I'm interested to see if the boundaries change again.
    It all is based on commute patterns and the percentage of residents that commute into Oklahoma County from each of the surrounding counties. The stronger Shawnee's economy becomes and the more Shawnee residents work in Shawnee rather than living in Shawnee and working in OKC, the less likely it is to be included in the MSA. I think it should be left out of the MSA but included in the CSA. To me it has always seemed a little far out to be considered a true suburb of OKC.

Drive time from Shawnee to Oklahoma City is 42 minutes may be high, but not too high for some people. Citi-data says workers who live and work in Shawnee is 67.7%. Compare that with 88.9% for Stillwater and 90.1% for Enid.

13. Default Re: Oklahoma City Economic Reports

I would think a large portion of Shawnee commuters work at or near Tinker. I know there are a lot of Air Force retirees around Shawnee.

https://omes.ok.gov/articles/decembe...ar-ago-figures

Overall looks fine.

GPT is off by 28%
    Nat gas collections off by 61%

Elon Musk just tweeted he is looking for a new location in the central US for a Giga Factory for the new Cyber Truck. I messaged Mayor Holt about it but damn that would be amazing if OKC landed that.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...681980416?s=21

Elon Musk just tweeted he is looking for a new location in the central US for a Giga Factory for the new Cyber Truck. I messaged Mayor Holt about it but damn that would be amazing if OKC landed that.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/...681980416?s=21
    Getting a Tesla gigafactory would be amazing for Oklahoma City. It's already got me thinking about a good location for it. I know of good locations for smaller manufacturing facilities, but not something of that size.

17. Default Re: Oklahoma City Economic Reports

Please, anywhere but Texas!

We don't have enough people to fill one of those sort of factories.

19. Default Re: Oklahoma City Economic Reports

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    We don't have enough people to fill one of those sort of factories.
    I bet there would be enough with O&G laying off 1000s before long. Lots of folks working elsewhere would come. If the pay is decent, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Getting a Tesla gigafactory would be amazing for Oklahoma City. It's already got me thinking about a good location for it. I know of good locations for smaller manufacturing facilities, but not something of that size.
    I’m wondering if there is enough room at Lariat Landing?

I’m sure there are sites along the new Kickapoo turnpike, perhaps somewhere like Goldsby, or in between El Reno and Yukon.

Just keep messaging Elon and posting to our leaders to land this thing. Oklahoma needs to start thinking big. No offense but logic like “we don’t have enough people” represents the typical defeatist mentality too many in Oklahoma share. I feel like the typical ‘can’t do’ thought process in Oklahoma is something that holds the state back.

I would be happy to even see this in Tulsa or perhaps along I-35 around Ardmore, Stillwater, or Durant. Build it and people will come for the jobs.

I’m sure there are sites along the new Kickapoo turnpike, perhaps somewhere like Goldsby, or in between El Reno and Yukon.

Just keep messaging Elon and posting to our leaders to land this thing. Oklahoma needs to start thinking big. No offense but logic like “we don’t have enough people” represents the typical defeatist mentality too many in Oklahoma share. I feel like the typical ‘can’t do’ thought process in Oklahoma is something that holds the state back.

I would be happy to even see this in Tulsa or perhaps along I-35 around Ardmore, Stillwater, or Durant. Build it and people will come for the jobs.
    Musk is a Charlatan, a Carnival Barker and builds **** cars, but I could get on board with OKC landing a few gimmicky green energy investments, here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Musk is a Charlatan, a Carnival Barker and builds **** cars, but I could get on board with OKC landing a few gimmicky green energy investments, here and there.
    I have my criticisms of Musk but those aside I would like to see OKC land this. It would definitely put OKC on the map for progressive tech companies.

Same here. Anywhere in Oklahoma would be great. I'd love between El Reno and Yukon to work on filling the gap

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Same here. Anywhere in Oklahoma would be great. I'd love between El Reno and Yukon to work on filling the gap
    They just need to make sure they preserve ROW for future freeways so those areas don’t grow and the sprawl prevents any freeway from being constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    I have several clients and friends who have a Tesla. I’ve ridden and been in the Model 3, model s and model x. Quite frankly these are the nicest well engineered vehicles I’ve ever been in or seen.

Thread Information