Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Something big coming?

Default Something big coming?

Steve Lackmeyer, Business Writer for the Oklahoman has been hinting at something happening with downtown Oklahoma City that would make Dallas and Kansas City jealous. It is definitely not a for sure deal, in fact right now it may be teetering a little bit. I feel a major player in this is probably Devon. I base this on the fact that they have so much pride in downtown Oklahoma City and extremely deep pockets. Anyone else have any insights?

Default Re: Something big coming?

If he was referring to the SkyFlower, or whatever it is, I scoff...

This is a joke if he was referring to Sky Tower. That will, in way shape or form, make Dallas or KC jealous.

Steve also said he is worried the Dallas and KC jealous deal might be in jeopardy if I remember correctly.

It's not the Sky Flyer. I can't imagine Steve would be that easily impressed, or so uninformed he would think either of those cities would be ruing the day the Sky Flyer wasn't erected in the West End or the Power and Light District. Also, as often as he's used the phrase, I would think if the development ever occurs, it would be referenced by Steve in the article telling us about it.

I don't think it is the Skyflyer either.

It's definitely not the SkyFlyer. Steve though has been known to overhype things or promise things that were never delivered (anybody remember how much he hyped December of last year?) It would be an absolute joke if that is what he was referring to.

What we (think we) know:

• Big Thing is entertainment-related. This rules out just being a skyscraper or something. So probably not Devon.
    • Big Thing is very hypothetical. It was more certain once, now it is tenuous.
    • Big Thing is not Skyflyer, Great Wolf Lodge or the Zipline.
    • Big Thing is something other regional cities do not have. So we have to think outside the box here because other regional cities have a lot of stuff.
    • Big Thing is probably in Bricktown.

So some spitballing: A giant, London-style Ferris wheel? Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers moving to OKC and becoming the house band at Skinny Slims?

More seriously, though, I'm wondering about a large-scale downtown amusement park. We have Frontier City, but I don't feel like that has kept up with OKC's renaissance. Other regional cities have amusement parks, but they are further out in the sprawl, not co-located downtown to have synergistic effects with other development. Denver has a downtown amusement park, but it really isn't integrated with the urban fabric. It's more of an island all to itself.
    Just a thought.

8. Default Re: Something big coming?

Please let it be a new Q-raunt so incredibly amazing that would make KC and Dallas jealous!

I hope downtown never gets an amusement park. It does not belong there. If I millions, and one day if ever get to that, a new amusement park would be great next to New Castle right along the HE Bailey Spur close to Norman and I-35. This would have to be big though, something bigger than any amusement park in Texas, something that draws people from NYC and LA similar to Disney World in Orlando. I would love to build it one day..... has been a dream of mine for awhile now.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Please let it be a new Q-raunt so incredibly amazing that would make KC and Dallas jealous!
    "Love it"

11. Default Re: Something big coming?

Actually most of those comments make me think it was the Skyflower. I'm indifferent on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Actually most of those comments make me think it was the Skyflower. I'm indifferent on it though.
    If it was, then the entire thing was a bigger joke than I ever imagined.

13. Default Re: Something big coming?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    If it was, then Steve Lackmeyer is a bigger joke of a reporter than I ever imagined.
    It is not.

Deleted the post - don't look!!!!

I edited my post being that it was out of line for me to say what I did. My apologies to Steve and anybody else who reads the quoted version of that post.

I edited my post. My apologies to Steve and anybody else who reads the quoted version of that post.
    Go ahead and delete your last post - mine's gone so there is no trail. Oh wait. Steve already saw it... never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    It is not.
    So you think the "big thing" is in jeopardy? If it falls apart and never actually happens, will you at least let us in on what it was? We'd like to know what we should be upset and/or sad about.

18. Default Re: Something big coming?

Yes, if it falls apart, I will tell you what was in the works.

Thank you Steve. If it is indeed that big of a deal, if it falls through & you provide us with details on what it was supposed to be it will at least give other entrepreneurs and investors a chance to take the idea and use it themselves. As cheap as that is I want this development that will make high tiered cities jealous in any way we can it.

This should go without saying, but thanks for all your work, Steve. Much appreciated.

What's your guesstimate on "it" falling apart? ;-)

About a year ago or so there was some hush hush behind the scenes talk of a development downtown containing over 1,000 housing units. That would certainly qualify in my book of envious developments.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    About a year ago or so there was some hush hush behind the scenes talk of a development downtown containing over 1,000 housing units. That would certainly qualify in my book of envious developments.
    That would be great if it came to fruition. I remember in December there was a lot that was teased about but was never announced. I wonder what deals are still on the table from that time frame. As for this development, Steve has said repeatedly that it is entertainment oriented, so I doubt its a residential development.

That would be great if it came to fruition. I remember in December there was a lot that was teased about but was never announced. I wonder what deals are still on the table from that time frame. As for this development, Steve has said repeatedly that it is entertainment oriented, so I doubt its a residential development.
    I wouldn't expect anything with 1000 housing units to just be all about housing. Think Atlantic Station in Atlanta.

Atlantic Station | Forward Living

Thanks for that! I really didm't think that was what you were referring to, but it's nice to know for sure.

Thread Information