Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Something big coming?

Default Re: Something big coming?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Back to the original topic of this thread, I hope deals that have been in the works start getting announced before long. This town has seen months of talking and speculation about various developments, be it mystery towers, whatever will make KC/Dallas jealous, a full service hotel downtown, etc, yet nothing has been announced. I realize real estate deals take time but it has been very quiet for a while now.
    I hope they get underway soon as well because I don't know if this so called 'robust economy' has any legs to it. A lot of financial people seem to think we maybe have a 2 year window and then things start to go south again.

Before the end of the year we can expect to see:

1. More detailed plans for the Stage Center site.
    2. Proposals for the parcel south of Stage Center.
    3. Multiple bids for First National Center, along with redevelopment plans.
    4. Likely announcement of new tower at Main & Hudson.
    5. Completion of convention center site purchase and final design.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I hope they get underway soon as well because I don't know if this so called 'robust economy' has any legs to it. A lot of financial people seem to think we maybe have a 2 year window and then things start to go south again.
    If the economy does crash again, anything that hasn't broken ground will likely be cancelled. This is the time for OKC to try to cover as much ground as it can.

4. Default Re: Something big coming?

If the economy does crash again, anything that hasn't broken ground will likely be cancelled. This is the time for OKC to try to cover as much ground as it can.
    This is true and prescient. This cycle is the fourth I've been through since 1982.

5. Default Re: Something big coming?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    But, I highly doubt Steve Lackmeyer would be reporting on our roads unless it has to do with the downtown proper area. And I don't consider roads entertainment, I am not sure about the rest of you.
    He's posted articles and videos with far less solid information before. Frankly, i don't pay much attention to his stuff anymore. It feels like we know more about a project here before he posts it and we have more info on it available here. He sometimes fills in some details from interviews, but doesn't exactly break the news these days.

So far mainstream economists aren't talking recession yet so hopefully it holds off a bit longer than two years. One thing I learned from 2008 is you can't put all your eggs in the doom and gloom basket. I was very hysterical about what was happening at the time and yes as bad as the recession was, it didn't get anything like the doom and gloomers had said it would. Life today for the most part isn't much different than prior to the recession.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Before the end of the year we can expect to see:

1. More detailed plans for the Stage Center site.
    2. Proposals for the parcel south of Stage Center.
    3. Multiple bids for First National Center, along with redevelopment plans.
    4. Likely announcement of new tower at Main & Hudson.
    5. Completion of convention center site purchase and final design.
    Pete, as far as retail, do you think we'll see Trader Joe's, Gander Mountain, and/or WinCo announce and OKC location(s) by the end of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    duuuuude I hear you on that. I really hope things stay good for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Pete, as far as retail, do you think we'll see Trader Joe's, Gander Mountain, and/or WinCo announce and OKC location/S?
    WinCo for sure.

Glimcher / TJ's are on their own schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    He's posted articles and videos with far less solid information before. Frankly, i don't pay much attention to his stuff anymore. It feels like we know more about a project here before he posts it and we have more info on it available here. He sometimes fills in some details from interviews, but doesn't exactly break the news these days.
    I think that's a tribute to how developed OKCTalk has become. I don't have the numbers (I'm sure Pete does), but I'd guess this site is a lot more active than it was just a few years ago. There are a lot of people who are very well informed who post here. It says a lot about how hard Steve works that he's able to break any kind of story. It's one man vs a huge network. It's too bad there's some tension between the two.

So far mainstream economists aren't talking recession yet so hopefully it holds off a bit longer than two years. One thing I learned from 2008 is you can't put all your eggs in the doom and gloom basket. I was very hysterical about what was happening at the time and yes as bad as the recession was, it didn't get anything like the doom and gloomers had said it would. Life today for the most part isn't much different than prior to the recession.
    Well some dramatic steps were taken to ensure it wasn't as doomish as it could have been. Still, it was the worst contraction since the Great Depression, so nothing to minimize. We are fortunate it wasn't worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    duuuuude I hear you on that. I really hope things stay good for awhile
    plupan, I remember you making a recent comment in another thread basically saying that anyone who that the economy was good was crazy. Have you changed your mind about that?

I would just concur with soonerguru, but add that it is one of those "speak only for yourself" kind of events. People all across this country lost significant value in their homes, many actually lost their homes and life hasn't been the same since. The ramifications were widespread and dramatic for many. In Oklahoma we didn't have it nearly as hard as other parts of the country, but we still need to remember that it truly was doom and gloom for countless numbers of people. To reiterate what soonerguru said - it's certainly nothing to minimize.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I would just concur with soonerguru, but add that it is one of those "speak only for yourself" kind of events. People all across this country lost significant value in their homes, many actually lost their homes and life hasn't been the same since. The ramifications were widespread and dramatic for many. In Oklahoma we didn't have it nearly as hard as other parts of the country, but we still need to remember that it truly was doom and gloom for countless numbers of people. To reiterate what soonerguru said - it's certainly nothing to minimize.
    I was laid off twice during the recession and was severely underemployed for three years out in Charlotte, a city that actually got it worse than much of the country. I realize how bad the recession was. However, I never went hungry. I never had to stand in soup lines. We didn't see Zimbabwe-style hyperinflation like some predicted we would. The streetscapes remained peaceful and the mass looting and riots consisting of hordes of desperate, starving people never happened. Things are different for some people, but life has gone on much as it always had.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    plupan, I remember you making a recent comment in another thread basically saying that anyone who that the economy was good was crazy. Have you changed your mind about that?
    I said I hope things stay good.

Which one of you guys did this ?

11:34

Comment From Hugh G Rexshun
    Hi

Steve Lackmeyer: Hi!

Does that say what I think it does?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post

Hi

Ha. ha. ha. thats funny..

Saw that.

Hi

I saw it when it came across the chat but never made the connection. Ha-larious...

Bellaboo…Major props on the placement...

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Bellaboo…Major props on the placement...
    I thought this thread had the correct title.....

I thought this thread had the correct title.....
    Too funny.

That is awesome. Didn't look at the name when I saw it in the chat.

25. Default Re: Something big coming?

wow...just wow. LOL

Thread Information