Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Something big coming?

Default Re: Something big coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Wheeler District, Chisholm Creek, new skyscrapers rising out of the city, C2S exploding on large scale.... Convention Center... Maps 3 Park.. things that are already planned. Things that are haven't happened yet, but may or may not. I thought I was pretty clear on that.

Massive highway construction coupled with light-rail would really add to the feel as well. Large scale projects really stand out
    Agree with changes like these, I believe OKC could see hyper population growth ( I know growth is good now) due to improved City amenities and possibly jobs, increased word of mouth about OKC that could lead to a renewed image. I live in Raleigh, NC. Nice town, not nicer, not bigger, (yet) than OKC, BUT people are flocking here from all places NE because of word of mouth from family, friends talking to them about the positives the city offers. OKC and Oklahoma has more expatriates on this board (me too) than most cities. Almost everyone I have spoken to here has nothing but positives to say about the city, ( I haved lived here since February this year and asked at least 100 random people with 98 positive) I dare say a fair amount of people from OKC don't share the same feeling, that attitude about YOUR city transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Agree with changes like these, I believe OKC could see hyper population growth ( I know growth is good now) due to improved City amenities and possibly jobs, increased word of mouth about OKC that could lead to a renewed image. I live in Raleigh, NC. Nice town, not nicer, not bigger, (yet) than OKC, BUT people are flocking here from all places NE because of word of mouth from family, friends talking to them about the positives the city offers. OKC and Oklahoma has more expatriates on this board (me too) than most cities. Almost everyone I have spoken to here has nothing but positives to say about the city, ( I haved lived here since February this year and asked at least 100 random people with 98 positive) I dare say a fair amount of people from OKC don't share the same feeling, that attitude about YOUR city transfers.
    I disagree. there is a lot of good word of mouth about OKC, every person who visits us has nothing but great things to day and they are first to tell others about it. I would say we have had a drastic increase in the amount of out of state friends coming to visit rather than us visiting them in the past 5 years or so. maybe I travel in less sadistic negative circles but most people I encounter love the city and are excited about its growth and change.

Raleigh-Cary and OKC's net inmigration rate are very close (+12,992, vs +11,559 for OKC this last census estimate). Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    not a bad idea.. to be honest didn't know it existed!.. thanks Pete!
    Its really quite wonderful. I may need to add a few more names to mine.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    I disagree. there is a lot of good word of mouth about OKC, every person who visits us has nothing but great things to day and they are first to tell others about it. I would say we have had a drastic increase in the amount of out of state friends coming to visit rather than us visiting them in the past 5 years or so. maybe I travel in less sadistic negative circles but most people I encounter love the city and are excited about its growth and change.
    I don't think that was his point.

My point is completely being missed! OKC is an awesome city, has a lot to offer, and allows people live lifestyle's they couldn't in larger more expensive city. Even the cost of living in Dallas is super high compared to here.

Until we get massive large-scale projects underway and under construction, it just doesn't seem growth is exploding here. There are quite a bit of smaller projects under construction and all together, they will greatly improve the city core as whole, and I understand that; it still doesn't change the fact of my main point about the larger projects.

It isn't pessimism or being a Debbie downer, it's something called the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Raleigh-Cary and OKC's net inmigration rate are very close (+12,992, vs +11,559 for OKC this last census estimate). Just FYI.
    Didn't Raleigh grow by like 40% in population over the last decade?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    All of these smaller projects are great and its awesome that OKC's urban fabric is being restored one project at a time....
    Well, it's really dozens at a time right now. Basically, what we're doing right now is more in line with what Austin had to do first before the big projects became commonplace.

While I personally prefer Charlotte, the Raleigh-Durham Research Triangle is a wonderful area. While Raleigh itself may be smaller than OKC, the CSA is almost twice the size of OKC's metro area and the amenities offered reflect that. The tech and university presence give the area a progressive, intellectual vibe, but the conservative Bible-belt culture is still there if you want it. It has a very nice climate with beautiful terrain and is a stone's throw away from the Appalachians and the beaches. Most of the city is pretty visually attractive both in the core and in suburbia. Regionally you have numerous first-class getaway destinations. What's not to love?

Some bigger things are coming but frankly, I'm thrilled with all this urban infill.

It's created a situation where virtually every vacant or under-utilized building and lot is being targeted for development.

you might want to read it again then.

"Almost everyone I have spoken to here has nothing but positives to say about the city, ( I haved lived here since February this year and asked at least 100 random people with 98 positive) I dare say a fair amount of people from OKC don't share the same feeling, that attitude about YOUR city transfers."

it is exactly what he was saying, that a fair amount of people from OKC are not positive about their city.

Put me in the "excited about lots of little projects more than two or three big projects" category. Give me ten Plaza Districts for every Devon Tower. Love the urban infill -- even happening in my West OKC nabe. Love the critical mass of small investors buying and rehabbing old buildings. Love things like the Ambassador and Waffle Champion and places like Classen Ten Penn starting to improve. These are the kinds of things that are transforming our city before our eyes and radically improving the quality of life.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Put me in the "excited about lots of little projects more than two or three big projects" category. Give me ten Plaza Districts for every Devon Tower. Love the urban infill -- even happening in my West OKC nabe. Love the critical mass of small investors buying and rehabbing old buildings. Love things like the Ambassador and Waffle Champion and places like Classen Ten Penn starting to improve. These are the kinds of things that are transforming our city before our eyes and radically improving the quality of life.
    My stance as well.

Well, like I said, put me in the group that likes bigger projects.

I think both are important. It's the big projects that attract positive attention and help change a city's image. The big projects really change the way a city feels. A city's skyline, like it or not, is its image. That is what OKC needs. Many people even living in OKC have no idea what the Edge @ Midtown is. People all across the country know about the Devon Tower.

These smaller, infill projects are simply correcting a problem that never should have existed in the first place - a problem created by I.M. Pei.

Until we get massive large-scale projects underway and under construction, it just doesn't seem growth is exploding here. There are quite a bit of smaller projects under construction and all together, they will greatly improve the city core as whole, and I understand that; it still doesn't change the fact of my main point about the larger projects.

It isn't pessimism or being a Debbie downer, it's something called the truth.
    As someone from a larger city, you are probably use to developments on a much larger scale. Simply put, OKC will never have 4 stack interchanges, a 30+ gate airport, etc. it just won't happen here with the market size we have. Not to say you aren't entitled to your opinion, but you should adjust your expectations a bit.

+1

I mean, we all love to gawk at corporate phalluses sticking up as we speed along the highway, but how much does that really improve the quality of life? At some point, some need to stop obsessing about what we look like to "outsiders" and travelers blasting through on I-35 and how much are we creating a liviable, vibrant community.

As someone from a larger city, you are probably use to developments on a much larger scale. Simply put, OKC will never have 4 stack interchanges, a 30+ gate airport, etc. it just won't happen here with the market size we have. Not to say you aren't entitled to your opinion, but you should adjust your expectations a bit.
    4-stack interchanges could happen if ODOT would invest some money into the highway system. Cities smaller than OKC have more impressive highways/interchanges because they have state transportation departments that don't constantly cheap out on everything.

I mean, we all love to gawk at corporate phalluses sticking up as we speed along the highway, but how much does that really improve the quality of life? At some point, some need to stop obsessing about what we look like to "outsiders" and travelers blasting through on I-35 and how much are we creating a liviable, vibrant community.
    It's not a matter of gawking at corporate phalluses or impressing people driving through on I-35. A city's skyline is its image. Skyscrapers are both a source of local pride and a booster for national image. A more filled out skyline will help boost the urban feel downtown and give the impression that this is a city where things are happening. People, specially out of state investors, are more likely to invest in a place that is perceived as "happening" and people are more likely to WANT to live in that kind of place. I am in no way saying things like Waffle Champion or the Rise aren't important - they are and they enhance quality of life. You can't underestimate however the impact that developments like the Devon Tower have.

As someone from a larger city, you are probably use to developments on a much larger scale. Simply put, OKC will never have 4 stack interchanges, a 30+ gate airport, etc. it just won't happen here with the market size we have. Not to say you aren't entitled to your opinion, but you should adjust your expectations.
    you completely right to a degree... But as far as the interchanges go.. Doesn't Albuquerque have a four stack?

This thread kind of sums up what people are talking about.

you completely right to a degree... But as far as the interchanges go.. Doesn't Albuquerque have a four stack?
    Who The F cares about a "four stack?" Sounds like an order at I-Hop. Sorry, but highways do not improve the quality of life one iota.

Who The F cares about a "four stack?" Sounds like an order at I-Hop. Sorry, but highways do not improve the quality of life one iota.
    I care and it's an issue to me. It would also seem the majority of large employers care seeing as how most of them are bypassing OKC for Dallas and OKC is cheaper. Our highways and roads suck.. Plain and simple. It isn't the only factor , it I assure you, having a nice road and freeway system is looked at by. Ajar employers.

I think both are important. It's the big projects that attract positive attention and help change a city's image. The big projects really change the way a city feels. A city's skyline, like it or not, is its image. That is what OKC needs. Many people even living in OKC have no idea what the Edge @ Midtown is. People all across the country know about the Devon Tower.

These smaller, infill projects are simply correcting a problem that never should have existed in the first place - a problem created by I.M. Pei.
    Can we stop passing along this myth? That the city didn't follow through on the Pei Plan and left empty lots is not the fault of I.M. Pei, one of the greatest architects in the world.

I care and it's an issue to me. It would also seem the majority of large employers care seeing as how most of them are bypassing OKC for Dallas and OKC is cheaper. Our highways and roads suck.. Plain and simple. It isn't the only factor , it I assure you, having a nice road and freeway system is looked at by. Ajar employers.
    +1. Transportation is important, both the highway system and the airport. OKC's roads suck in general, not just the highways.

+1. Transportation is important, both the highway system and the airport. OKC's roads suck in general, not just the highways.
    Based on EVERYTHING you post on here, Oklahoma City must be the asshole of the world. If the world were given an enema, OKC is where it goes in.

There will be a couple of flyovers at I-44 & 235 and I-240 & 35. They are not needed anywhere else in our fair city, and it would be an un-necessary expense to build them. Folks would really be pissed at ODOT for squandering money. Some of the best traffic movers are these new single point interchanges that have been built. Go drive over I-40 on Morgan or I-35 and Main in Norman. We are getting our bang for the buck on those.

I just drove around downtown Tulsa this past Monday and some of those streets are extremely bad. Try Detroit Ave off the IDL.....not sure if there's a worse street in the state.

Thread Information