Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio landscape in OKC

1. Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post
    Well its a another sports talk station called The Franchise 2, seriously OKC radio has become so pathetic.
    There's a reason.....with the growing ability to plug in smartphones/ipods directly into vehicle audio systems, radio is becoming an afterthought.

Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by s00nr1 View Post
    There's a reason.....with the growing ability to plug in smartphones/ipods directly into vehicle audio systems, radio is becoming an afterthought.
    That's true, all I listen to anymore in my car are CD's, music from my phone and some radio here in Ada, the station are a bit better here then in OKC, My co-worker used to listen to KOMA at work, but now he listen to GTO 107 out of Ardmore, the station is a lot better then KOMA.

Quote Originally Posted by eatokc.com View Post
    Is it happening on both the AM and FM stations? I didn't listen today, but only listen to the FM side. It would be sad if it is gone, only radio I listen to.
    I didn't know there was an FM station, I just listened to the AM station. What was it on FM?

4. Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I didn't know there was an FM station, I just listened to the AM station. What was it on FM?

5. Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

I'm still getting the comedy station on 92.9..... This morning they were talking about the Dallas Cowboys defense. ;+)

The reason why they changed formats was the 24/7 comedy that they were using ended its run, other station across the country that use 24/7 comedy also flipped formats, so we wasn't the only ones.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I'm still getting the comedy station on 92.9..... This morning they were talking about the Dallas Cowboys defense. ;+)
    Didn't realize the Dallas Cowboys had a Defense?

Tyler has been simulcasting KOMA on 92.9 for a while now. Does anybody know whether that is permanent or do they have plans to launch a new station at that frequency?

It would be great to see something new there, though I am not holding my breath. Furthermore, KBRU continues to be one of the worst performing stations in the market ratings wise. As saturated as OKC is with classic rock stations, why doesn't ClearChannel try something new there?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Tyler has been simulcasting KOMA on 92.9 for a while now. Does anybody know whether that is permanent or do they have plans to launch a new station at that frequency?

It would be great to see something new there, though I am not holding my breath. Furthermore, KBRU continues to be one of the worst performing stations in the market ratings wise. As saturated as OKC is with classic rock stations, why doesn't ClearChannel try something new there?
    They tried something new with the Buzz, but that didn't work so they went with something they knew would work.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    They tried something new with the Buzz, but that didn't work so they went with something they knew would work.
    Thing is it obviously isn't working or it wouldn't be one of the lowest rated stations in the market.

I think they're just using KOMA to tweak around and then maybe try to pull another FCC runaround.

I've wondered the same about Cle....oops....beginning today ClearChannel is no more. It's now iHeartMedia. But I agree, do something else.

I wonder how 96.9 FM is doing??

Does anybody here ever listen to KKWD Wild 104.9?

I keep giving them try after try and every once and a while it seems like they will have a few weeks where they sound better but under Cumulus' Jan Jeffries' programming its but a shell of its former self. I remember the station in its heyday as one of the best rhythmic Top 40 stations anywhere. Today, most of the songs they play are songs the rest of the world was hearing 2-3 years ago with way too much from the early 2000s for a modern Top 40. I don't know why they do "throwback thursdays" when it is a throwback station 24/7/365. They should just put the station to rest. My guess is that it has survived this long because it's the only station you can get over the air in OKC that kind of fills the urban contemporary niche, even though it doesn't do it very well.

Does anybody here ever listen to KKWD Wild 104.9?

I keep giving them try after try and every once and a while it seems like they will have a few weeks where they sound better but under Cumulus' Jan Jeffries' programming its but a shell of its former self. I remember the station in its heyday as one of the best rhythmic Top 40 stations anywhere. Today, most of the songs they play are songs the rest of the world was hearing 2-3 years ago with way too much from the early 2000s for a modern Top 40. I don't know why they do "throwback thursdays" when it is a throwback station 24/7/365. They should just put the station to rest. My guess is that it has survived this long because it's the only station you can get over the air in OKC that kind of fills the urban contemporary niche, even though it doesn't do it very well.
    I think Wild and the Brew both need to go.

Wild could be great if Cumulus would return control over the playlist to the local PD. Jan Jeffries is pretty committed to his formula however across all formats. It actually works well for AC and Hot AC stations but for Top 40 and especially a Rhythmic Top 40 like Wild is, the playlist needs to be a bit more cutting edge and less "safe." It would also help if the station was on a better signal. The station dominated when it was on the 97.9 frequency but never completely recovered after the move to 104.9, even prior to being Cumulized.

The Brew simply needs to flip. It's the weakest link in a crowded market.

If you were the PD at I heart radio, What format would you put on 94.7?? I would bring back alternative and make it sound like 102.1 the Edge out of DFW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    If you were the PD at I heart radio, What format would you put on 94.7?? I would bring back alternative and make it sound like 102.1 the Edge out of DFW!!!
    That's a tough question. OKC needs an alternative rock station. It's hard to believe a city this size doesn't have one. However, part of me would be tempted to do a Jack-FM style station.

That's a tough question. OKC needs an alternative rock station. It's hard to believe a city this size doesn't have one. However, part of me would be tempted to do a Jack-FM style station.
    I think 99.7 would make a great Jack FM if country doesn't work for them.

I think 99.7 would make a great Jack FM if country doesn't work for them.
    Perhaps. I tend to think it would make a great frequency for alternative rock or urban contemporary. The lower powered stations are better for formats that are more of a niche market while the 100kw stations are best for those with the most mass appeal.

20. Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

EDM please! House Music All Night Long!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    EDM please! House Music All Night Long!
    I like EDM music also but I don't think full-time EDM on a terrestrial station would work in OKC. Usually those stations are found in alpha world cities that have a high gay population such as San Francisco or Toronto, and even then its a tough format. I think a Top 40/Rythmic station that was EDM at a certain time of day might work. I think KJ-103 spins EDM overnight Saturday into Sunday if I am not mistaking. Other than that, Sirius XM has a couple of great stations.

I like EDM music also but I don't think full-time EDM on a terrestrial station would work in OKC. Usually those stations are found in alpha world cities that have a high gay population such as San Francisco or Toronto, and even then its a tough format. I think a Top 40/Rythmic station that was EDM at a certain time of day might work. I think KJ-103 spins EDM overnight Saturday into Sunday if I am not mistaking. Other than that, Sirius XM has a couple of great stations.
    It's been a while, but I'm not sure there's even a real EDM station in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    It's been a while, but I'm not sure there's even a real EDM station in NYC.
    I know its been attempted but I don't think its been successful. There are plenty of good free streaming EDM stations out there as well as awesome ones on satellite. The format doesn't really have the kind of mass appeal to be full time on a terrestrial station.

Dallas had one in the early 2000's.

Dallas had one in the early 2000's.
    Wasn't it 93.5? I remember it.

Thread Information