Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio landscape in OKC

Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

Bchris, You might want to check this out,

Bye Bye Jan Jeffries | Inside Music Media

I don't hear the comedy radio on 92.9 FM any longer. I wonder what happened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Bchris, You might want to check this out,

Bye Bye Jan Jeffries | Inside Music Media
    I wasn't aware of that. I know John Dickey has been involved for about a year now but didn't realize Jan no longer was calling the shots. From listening to KKWD, there definitely has NOT been a change so while somebody new may be making the decisions, they appear to be using the same rural market formula they've used since the cutover to the national playlist in late 2012. They are still playing songs that the rest of the world was hearing five years ago today like they are new.

I don't know why ClearChannel doesn't do something else with KBRU 94.7. It's failing in the very saturated Classic Rock format. It's the lowest-rated FM station in the market and has been for several quarters now. Do they even care?

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I don't know why ClearChannel doesn't do something else with KBRU 94.7. It's failing in the very saturated Classic Rock format. It's the lowest-rated FM station in the market and has been for several quarters now. Do they even care?
    I agree, its time for a change at 94.7, but then again they always change formats on 94.7 what every 5 years lol, OKC radio needs to change.

6. Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    I don't hear the comedy radio on 92.9 FM any longer. I wonder what happened to it.
    It is still on the air, sometimes surrounding channels bleed into it.

Quote Originally Posted by eatokc.com View Post
    It is still on the air, sometimes surrounding channels bleed into it.
    You hear more and more of that "bleeding FM stations" problem, exactly what wasn't supposed to happen with FM. The deregulation of radio has continued to where this kind of thing shows why regulations worked. Greedy lobbying prevailed in broadcasting beginning, especially, with the wave of deregulations around the middle '80s and it's ruined local radio - in so many ways.

Doc Searles said it best a few years ago...

“When I was coming up in radio, back in the Seventies, there were limits on broadcast property ownership. Back then, you could own seven AM , seven FM and seven TV stations: the ’7-7-7 rule.’ And in any one metropolitan area, you could own at most one AM, one FM and one TV station.”

“In 1985, 7-7-7 went up to 12-12-12.”

“Then came the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Now the limits were 8-infinity: Up to eight stations in any one market, and no limit on the total nationwide.

“Killed along the way were minimal requirements for non-entertainment programming (1985), the Fairness Doctrine (1987), limits on percentage of advertising content (1985) and various other limitations.”

If you want to read the whole thing - it's worth it. You'll see how corporations ruined the broadcasting industry. The best summation ever.
    http://doc.weblogs.com/2003/05/29#broadcastDrekulation

I said this once, I'm going to say it again, I think Clear Channel should give Jack FM a try on 94.7. Yes I know OKC had a Jack once, But it was on a very sorry signal. 1,000 watt signal and it failed Geez thats a shock. Clear Channel should revive the KOJK call letters if they went that route. As for 92.9 FM I wonder if KNIN out of Wichita Falls interferes with the Comedy Station at times?

9. Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

or maybe EDM for 94.7. Is OKC ready for a dance music station? If OKC could then format-wise the city would be more or less complete.

Would be nice to see an Asian or Ethnic (which could rotate hourly through the Asian/S.American ethnics) station also, perhaps on AM.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    or maybe EDM for 94.7. Is OKC ready for a dance music station? If OKC could then format-wise the city would be more or less complete.

Would be nice to see an Asian or Ethnic (which could rotate hourly through the Asian/S.American ethnics) station also, perhaps on AM.
    I love EDM music but I don't see it working on a 100kW signal, and especially not in OKC. It could work on a translator though. There are also several other formats that are covered in most major cities but aren't on the dial in OKC. Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

-Variety (Jack FM)
    -True Oldies
    -Alternative rock
    -Smooth jazz
    -Standards (The Martini)

In addition, it would be nice to see Now 96.5 and Power 103.5 moved to signals that properly cover the market.

The one complaint I have is we don't have a modern rock station in OKC. I grew up in Tulsa and 104.5 The EDGE is really the only thing I miss about not living there any more. 100.5 and 94.7 play some modern rock, but most of it is classic rock. With as many modern rock concerts as we have coming to the DT Airpark, Zoo, Diamond, Chameleon Room, etc, it shocks me that we don't have the demographic to support a station like that. 94.7 used to be The Buzz, which played more modern rock, but then they changed it to The Brew which played more classic.

I listen to jazz with Bob Parlocha almost every night from about 9 until I fall asleep. Also enjoy radio deluxe with John Pittzarelie (sp) on sunday night. Bob Parlocha got me through law school.

Do wish we had an EDM station but I don't think we are there yet even though 102.7 and 96.5 plays EDM about every third song now. I turn to magic 104.1 every so often and they are even playing Avicci "wake me up"

How do Jack and Ron still have jobs? s

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    How do Jack and Ron still have jobs?
    Completely agree. When the wife and I drive around at night, we listen to John Tesh (sindicated) on 98.9. In the morning, when I leave for work at 7:45am, it never fails, I end up hearing Jack's terrible Arnold, Richard Simmons or most likely Paula Deen impression. I have tried to listen to their show and never once have I laughed or thought it was remotely entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    The one complaint I have is we don't have a modern rock station in OKC. I grew up in Tulsa and 104.5 The EDGE is really the only thing I miss about not living there any more. 100.5 and 94.7 play some modern rock, but most of it is classic rock. With as many modern rock concerts as we have coming to the DT Airpark, Zoo, Diamond, Chameleon Room, etc, it shocks me that we don't have the demographic to support a station like that. 94.7 used to be The Buzz, which played more modern rock, but then they changed it to The Brew which played more classic.
    There's no excuse for OKC not having a modern rock station. The demographics are here to support it. The problem is operators here refuse to think outside the country, classic rock, and sports talk box.

I love EDM music but I don't see it working on a 100kW signal, and especially not in OKC. It could work on a translator though. There are also several other formats that are covered in most major cities but aren't on the dial in OKC. Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

-Variety (Jack FM)
    -True Oldies
    -Alternative rock
    -Smooth jazz
    -Standards (The Martini)

In addition, it would be nice to see Now 96.5 and Power 103.5 moved to signals that properly cover the market.
    We had a Martini station at 105.3 for a year or two, was The Spy before that, and now it's sports radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    As for 92.9 FM I wonder if KNIN out of Wichita Falls interferes with the Comedy Station at times?
    When I'm east of Choctaw Road, I get a lot of Tulsa Classic Rock (92.9, Bob-FM, same format as Bob-FM in OKC).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    We had a Martini station at 105.3 for a year or two, was The Spy before that, and now it's sports radio.
    I remember the Martini. It was still on the air when I moved here and was by far my favorite station in OKC. Sad that it changed to yet another sports talk station.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

I am surprise that an Asian or Ethnic radio station hasn't been tried in OKC.

There's no excuse for OKC not having a modern rock station. The demographics are here to support it. The problem is operators here refuse to think outside the country, classic rock, and sports talk box.
    I thought I read that The Tyler boys was going to start a modern rock station.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    When I'm east of Choctaw Road, I get a lot of Tulsa Classic Rock (92.9, Bob-FM, same format as Bob-FM in OKC).
    I think when you get southwest of Blanchard, KNIN starts fighting with that translator.

21. Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

Scott Shannon's True Oldies Channel is being dropped by its syndicator.

And the original 7-7-7 rule was even tighter than it sounds: no more than 5 of those 7 TV stations could be on the VHF band.

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    Scott Shannon's True Oldies Channel is being dropped by its syndicator.

And the original 7-7-7 rule was even tighter than it sounds: no more than 5 of those 7 TV stations could be on the VHF band.
    Yes! And thank you for the comment on my post. I'm not sure that many here realize that radio today is a direct result of what Doc Searles summarized in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    What happened to the Spy? Is it internet only? Whenever i turn to that channel all i hear is NPR.

Agreed

Completely agree. When the wife and I drive around at night, we listen to John Tesh (sindicated) on 98.9. In the morning, when I leave for work at 7:45am, it never fails, I end up hearing Jack's terrible Arnold, Richard Simmons or most likely Paula Deen impression. I have tried to listen to their show and never once have I laughed or thought it was remotely entertaining.
    Jack & Ron are decent, its just that the music played on 98.9 is mostly crap. I used to listen occasionally, the Hollywood update guy was somewhat entertaining, though that caller who used to call in every morning "Michael" was quite fun. I dont know if he was real or just some character, but i like to think he was real.

Exactly. I have XM radio in the vehicle i drive the most and there's no comparison to their quality versus local radio. Local radio just plain sucks. We haven't had a good station here since 95X (not counting Spy) and that was almost 20 years ago. For a city this size...its absurd.

The Spy is on KOSU after 7pm.

Quote Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
    For a city this size...its absurd.
    That goes for most of the stations here. OKC radio for the most part sounds and is programmed very small market. Most stations in OKC sound better fit for a place like Amarillo or Midland-Odessa. This is definitely one thing in this town that has gotten worse in the past 10-15 years rather than better. There is a big difference when you go to the Tulsa market which actually has much better stations, many of which actually sound larger market.

Thread Information