Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 131415161718

Thread: Radio landscape in OKC

Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to Tod Tucker on 1520 AM in the mornings. I have not been able to find any news stories.
    As far as I know he had taken some time off for medical reasons and he was replaced before coming back. He was out for less than a week and they were looking at replacements. I have not been able to listen to 1520 in the mornings because it always a previous episode of The Ride with Chad and Mac or one of their fill-ins which just regurgitate the same headlines each time they are on. I sure miss Tod Tucker.

The Thunder broadcasting on Sports Animal is an absolute disgrace. They are Cumulus (were Citadel at the time they got the contract) and received the
    contract because Citadel was tanking, and didn't have anything to lose by giving them a sweetheart deal (owners get all ad revenue during game, the reason
    you basically only hear CHK, Devon, Midfirst ads during the games..which does very little for the people of OKC) and then made their co. look better when they
    sold out to equally crappy Cumulus.... a local entity should have received the broadcast rights which would have been great, local businesses would get exposure
    and a local entity would have equity in the team, as would many others...... radio is OKC is really messed up like this because of a handful of very wealthy individuals
    with little regard for anything but themselves, but does not have to be...

Quote Originally Posted by TheSteveHunt View Post
    The Thunder broadcasting on Sports Animal is an absolute disgrace. They are Cumulus (were Citadel at the time they got the contract) and received the
    contract because Citadel was tanking, and didn't have anything to lose by giving them a sweetheart deal (owners get all ad revenue during game, the reason
    you basically only hear CHK, Devon, Midfirst ads during the games..which does very little for the people of OKC) and then made their co. look better when they
    sold out to equally crappy Cumulus.... a local entity should have received the broadcast rights which would have been great, local businesses would get exposure
    and a local entity would have equity in the team, as would many others...... radio is OKC is really messed up like this because of a handful of very wealthy individuals
    with little regard for anything but themselves, but does not have to be...
    Your sponsor comment doesn’t make any sense and weakens your already weak argument. Those are the largest sponsors of the Thunder so those are the ads you hear during Thunder games... There is no conspiracy there...you pay to advertise, you get to advertise. No one is preventing other companies from paying the Thunder to advertise during their broadcasts, you hear a lot of Homeland advertisements too. No one involved with Devon, CHK, nor Homeland have any involvement in the Thunder’s ownership group either.

Well, maybe I'm dating myself on the ownership bit -- forgetting Aubrey is gone and therefore no more CHK involvement?
    That aside, it isn't good that a Nevada company got the contract. OKC people paid a lot for the team to come here, and should
    have equity...anyway... whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSteveHunt View Post
    Well, maybe I'm dating myself on the ownership bit -- forgetting Aubrey is gone and therefore no more CHK involvement?
    That aside, it isn't good that a Nevada company got the contract. OKC people paid a lot for the team to come here, and should
    have equity...anyway... whatever.
    Aubrey was the owner, not CHK, and Aubrey was out at CHK in 2013.

The Sports Animal is the largest, most widely available, and most listened to sports network in the state. It is natural that they got the contract for broadcasting games for the state’s only professional franchise. The Franchise is the only other reasonably sized FM sports station in OKC and it didn’t even exist as an option until 5 years after the Thunder got here. Quit looking for conspiracy where there is none. There is plenty of room for the radio landscape to improve here but taking issue with the largest sports station in the state getting the broadcast rights for our NBA team is a dumb road to go down if your real goal is improving OKCs radio content.

I have pretty much given up listening to terrestrial radio in OKC. I know radio has seen better days everywhere and streaming services are killing it but it's especially bad here. You would think being a Top 50 market there should be a little more variety on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I have pretty much given up listening to terrestrial radio in OKC. I know radio has seen better days everywhere and streaming services are killing it but it's especially bad here. You would think being a Top 50 market there should be a little more variety on the dial.
    I was really excited when we finally got an alternative rock station again but the broadcast range for the Edge is so weak that it’s hard to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I was really excited when we finally got an alternative rock station again but the broadcast range for the Edge is so weak that it’s hard to listen to.
    You'd think a station like The Edge would be deserving of a stronger signal. It's one of the better stations in this market. I'd be satisfied if I could pick up Power 103.5 downtown but that station is unlistenable in OKC until you get west of I-44, at least in my vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    You'd think a station like The Edge would be deserving of a stronger signal. It's one of the better stations in this market. I'd be satisfied if I could pick up Power 103.5 downtown but that station is unlistenable in OKC until you get west of I-44, at least in my vehicle.
    The Edge is on a translator from KOMA. That's why it doesn't have a strong signal. It was the same when The Edge was temporarily on 96.5.

10. Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

^ this is why I say the FCC should come in and revamp OKC's radio spectrum. Having stations on low power translators and 100's of miles away so not to interfere with a market 95 miles away just doesn't make any sense. OKC is the largest market in the state, by far - it should therefore have signal priority and not be relegated to what it is today and has been for far too long.

BChris can give more details but this is what I was referring to earlier; OKC does have the lead on tv signals (and rightfully so) but radio, we're a 2nd class market in our own state.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

For now, you can listen to my awesome playlist!!!
    https://open.spotify.com/user/121453...Q6qu4SJGG38d3A

Were there any pirate FM radio stations on in OKC during the Memorial Day weekend? Holiday weekends are a good time for them to come on the air, since FCC agents aren't on the job then.

Holland Vandenewienheisen is at sea so prolly not

Thread Information