Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Radio landscape in OKC

Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The new station is "Fun 96.9", playing variety hits from the 60s through the 80s.
    So basically a KOMA clone.

Quote Originally Posted by loveOKC View Post
    103.5 is a great station and I've been listening to the station since their 1140am days. But seriously, that signal is horrible. I'm trying to listen now and it's just static. I bet since it's sleeting and snowing, static will be all we can here for the next week. This is a common occurrence
    Issue is there antenna is out west of Anadarko and OKC is in the "distant" coverage area. In my current car, if I am north of I-40 the station has too much static to be listenable. Lawton actually gets better coverage from the station than OKC does. For me, Power 103.5 doesn't cut it as a hip-hop station for OKC because the signal doesn't cover OKC. It also doesn't compete in OKC's PPM market so for all intents and purposes, OKC is still without a hip-hop station unless you count the classic V-103 station. For current music, I might as well listen to Pandora and not have to hear static.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    So basically a KOMA clone.
    Yeah. I haven't listened much yet but I hope they lean more in the easy listening direction as opposed to classic rock.

I am just happy to see KOMA getting some competition, I listen to 969 on I heart this morning, cause in Ada, I can't pick it up barely, it sounded pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post
    I am just happy to see KOMA getting some competition, I listen to 969 on I heart this morning, cause in Ada, I can't pick it up barely, it sounded pretty good to me.
    I personally like the format, especially since KMGL dropped most of their softer hits from the 70s and 80s in favor of current music.

The new station is "Fun 96.9", playing variety hits from the 60s through the 80s.
    I assume the station transmitter is having issues with ice at the transmitter site this afternoon. I can only hear a very weak signal on 96.9. It usually has a pretty strong stereo signal.

Issue is there antenna is out west of Anadarko and OKC is in the "distant" coverage area. In my current car, if I am north of I-40 the station has too much static to be listenable. Lawton actually gets better coverage from the station than OKC does. For me, Power 103.5 doesn't cut it as a hip-hop station for OKC because the signal doesn't cover OKC. It also doesn't compete in OKC's PPM market so for all intents and purposes, OKC is still without a hip-hop station unless you count the classic V-103 station. For current music, I might as well listen to Pandora and not have to hear static.
    Knowing this, you would think they would put some type of repeater antenna or booster or something in OKC. But since they don't have to actually compete in the OKC market, I doubt anything like this happens.

Knowing this, you would think they would put some type of repeater antenna or booster or something in OKC. But since they don't have to actually compete in the OKC market, I doubt anything like this happens.
    I agree. I am not sure but I think they could put a translator on 103.5 in OKC to properly cover the market, leaving their main stick out in Western Oklahoma. I doubt they do this though until somebody else tries to give urban/hip-hop a try in OKC. If another station decided to do hip-hop, that would be it for Power 103.5 given their poor signal.

This may be a pipe dream, but hopefully V-103.1 eventually transitions to mainstream urban. Classic hip-hop usually hasn't lasted very long in other markets before adding more currents. The issue is that there isn't enough material to draw from to avoid repetitiveness, resulting in stations that are very popular in the beginning but quickly lose their luster. Wild 104.9 with its gold-heavy playlist plays a lot of the same stuff anyways.

If I was in control at Tyler Media, I would flip V-103 to mainstream urban with specific time slots dedicated to classic hip-hop.

Does anyone know what happened to the Rick Roberts show on KTOK ?

So, I've been listening to 92.9 The Edge, and it's piqued my interest for sure. Interesting playlist and they're playing stuff I don't think I've actually heard on the radio here before, which is definitely awesome... They're covering all ends of the Alternative Rock genre. My only real gripe is that I would LOVE to have some new music from the active rock playlist thrown in there for good measure, to make the station sound a little bit closer to The EDGE in Tulsa (Z104.5) - but that's a pretty minor gripe, honestly. I'm extremely glad Tyler is giving Alternative a go here and I hope they stick around for a good long while!

Power 103.5 has been off the air for the past couple of weeks.

Not true. Two days ago is the first day their signal hasn't been on but they are still tweeting and on Facebook so I assume it's more of a location in the city thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    Not true. Two days ago is the first day their signal hasn't been on but they are still tweeting and on Facebook so I assume it's more of a location in the city thing.
    103.5 is a great station and I've been listening to the station since their 1140am days. But seriously, that signal is horrible. I'm trying to listen now and it's just static. I bet since it's sleeting and snowing, static will be all we can here for the next week. This is a common occurrence
    Since I made my last comment, all I've heard is static, and I've been all around the city trying to tune in. I've been on the Northside, Eastside, and Southside of OKC and all I hear is static. Its been consistent static, not in and out.

14. Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

The AM 1140 facility also seems to be down -- though the translator on 92.1 is working.

I've been listening to 92.9, I like it a lot. Seems to be a good mix of The Edge in Tulsa and The Edge in Dallas, or pretty similar to The End in Seattle. It is the first radio station I've really liked in OKC, so I am pretty happy. I wish the signal was stronger though, I was having trouble picking it up on Coffee Creek and out by Tinker.

I haven't heard any DJs yet, anyone know if they plan on adding them at some point?

Way too much '90s Green Day on 92.9. Not that '90s Green Day is bad or shouldn't be played, just a little less of it would be nice. Other than that, it's a decent station. It's the only OKC station other than Power 103.5 (on occasion I am actually able to get it) that I can make it more than one or two songs on.

With Now 92.9 gone, it seems like Wild 104.9 is doubling down on the suck. I am getting very close to just being done with OKC radio and getting XM.

Heard Ferris as a DJ on The Spy last night while wife was watching the Thunder (she lets me play music during the Thunder games so we don't have to hear the inane blather and shoe-squeaking for 2+ hours), didn't remember that in the past (just seemed like an automated playlist, no humans involved at night), seems like he's going to be on each M-F night, different themes each night. Played some good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    So, I've been listening to 92.9 The Edge, and it's piqued my interest for sure. Interesting playlist and they're playing stuff I don't think I've actually heard on the radio here before, which is definitely awesome... They're covering all ends of the Alternative Rock genre. My only real gripe is that I would LOVE to have some new music from the active rock playlist thrown in there for good measure, to make the station sound a little bit closer to The EDGE in Tulsa (Z104.5) - but that's a pretty minor gripe, honestly. I'm extremely glad Tyler is giving Alternative a go here and I hope they stick around for a good long while!
    Yes it sounds great! Eventually there will be too many commercials but for now it's a breath of fresh air. Loved hearing 90's REM and Oasis next to Death cab and Florence & the Machine.

Been listening to 92.9 and 103.1 almost nonstop. I have been switching back and forth from 92.9 to 100.5 and 94.7 and it seems like they have changed to a more of an alt rock than classic rock. I still hear some Zepplin and Rush from time to time, but mostly what you would hear on The Edge.

Way too much '90s Green Day on 92.9. Not that '90s Green Day is bad or shouldn't be played, just a little less of it would be nice. Other than that, it's a decent station. It's the only OKC station other than Power 103.5 (on occasion I am actually able to get it) that I can make it more than one or two songs on.

With Now 92.9 gone, it seems like Wild 104.9 is doubling down on the suck. I am getting very close to just being done with OKC radio and getting XM.
    I haven't noticed the excessive Green Day, although now that you say that, I am sure I will. My huge problem with XM is their best Alternative channel plays the Red Hot Chili Peppers every 5th song. Nothing against the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but isn't like they are the king of Alt music, and there is no band I want to hear that much day after day.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Been listening to 92.9 and 103.1 almost nonstop. I have been switching back and forth from 92.9 to 100.5 and 94.7 and it seems like they have changed to a more of an alt rock than classic rock. I still hear some Zepplin and Rush from time to time, but mostly what you would hear on The Edge.
    It would be nice if 100.5 became closer to 97.5 KMOD in Tulsa. They have a very good mix of modern and classic.

I am just really glad there is now a station that you can reliably hear new rock on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I haven't noticed the excessive Green Day, although now that you say that, I am sure I will. My huge problem with XM is their best Alternative channel plays the Red Hot Chili Peppers every 5th song. Nothing against the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but isn't like they are the king of Alt music, and there is no band I want to hear that much day after day.
    Check out XMU, it's way better than Alt Nation.

Thanks, I'll try to remember that next time I am in a car with XM.

Welcome back 103.5

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Check out XMU, it's way better than Alt Nation.
    this is true

Thread Information