Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio landscape in OKC

Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Conservative political talk can be found at 1000 am. NPR is not political talk in that vein. Splendid table, BBC news hour, morning edition, etc.
    Yeah 1000 AM is the main one that has all the big names in conservatism, Rush, Beck, Levin, etc. Sometimes I confuse all the Christian talk stations with conservative talk radio since much of the time the conversation is political, especially on American Family Radio which has a few frequencies that can be picked up in OKC.

I agree, NPR isn't political talk at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Wonder if that means KMGL (104.1) isn't doing all-Christmas this season?
    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Was wondering that myself.
    I can't imagine Magic not doing Christmas music as it's been an institution of sorts since 1990. I don't think they'd let Cumulus intimidate them into not doing Christmas music. Of course, with Magic 104 now being a Tyler station, it's not nearly as predictable as it was for all those years. Um, I'm not a Tyler fan.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I can't imagine Magic not doing Christmas music as it's been an institution of sorts since 1990. I don't think they'd let Cumulus intimidate them into not doing Christmas music. Of course, with Magic 104 now being a Tyler station, it's not nearly as predictable as it was for all those years. Um, I'm not a Tyler fan.
    Actually KMGL used to only do Christmas music for 24 hours; 12pm on Christmas Eve to 12pm on Christmas Day. The first station in OKC to do 24/7 Christmas music was KQSR Soft Rock 94.7 in 2000. After it flipped to the Buzz in 2002, KMGL started doing the 24/7 Christmas format. I don't think OKC has ever had more than one station doing Christmas all season long.

I like country, but there is enough of it. I would sooner there be an all jazz station, but it seems a rare breed of station in a lot of metros, especially on commercial frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I like country, but there is enough of it. I would sooner there be an all jazz station, but it seems a rare breed of station in a lot of metros, especially on commercial frequencies.
    I agree that there's enough country. I really hope whatever ends up on 96.9 that it isn't country. It's good to see classic rock going away on that frequency. That leaves 94.7, 100.5, and 104.5 doing the format which is plenty. 94.7 and 100.5 are technically active rock, but they both have a lot of classic rock in their rotation.

As for Jazz, I am not sure how commercially viable it is these days. Much like adult standards, its more of a niche format. The last time OKC had a commercial jazz station was in the late '90s on 97.9 before it became Wild.

I'd like to see a party station on 96.9. Something like part time EDM and some pop music.

I would also like to see a full jazz station that plays a mix of jazz and then has about 4-5 hours at night of some 1920s-1940s pop music.

Actually KMGL used to only do Christmas music for 24 hours; 12pm on Christmas Eve to 12pm on Christmas Day. The first station in OKC to do 24/7 Christmas music was KQSR Soft Rock 94.7 in 2000. After it flipped to the Buzz in 2002, KMGL started doing the 24/7 Christmas format. I don't think OKC has ever had more than one station doing Christmas all season long.
    I beg to differ. Magic may have changed the lengths of Christmas music here and there, but I know for a fact Christmas music was longer than 24-hours in '90-'96. I lost track around that time. And no, KFNB did Christmas music for several days around the clock in the late 70's! KQSR was definitely not the first station to do 24/7 Christmas music in Oklahoma City. If they thought that, they were wrong. I guarantee you.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I beg to differ. Magic may have changed the lengths of Christmas music here and there, but I know for a fact Christmas music was longer than 24-hours in '90-'96. I lost track around that time. And no, KFNB did Christmas music for several days around the clock in the late 70's! KQSR was definitely not the first station to do 24/7 Christmas music in Oklahoma City. If they thought that, they were wrong. I guarantee you.
    It seems like right now they are still doing regular programming during the day and Christmas music in the evenings during Delilah. Will be interesting to see if they stick to that formula after Thanksgiving or if they go 24/7 Christmas.

Speaking of Delilah, it's hard to believe she is still on the air.

I think they (104.1) normally starts on thx giving or black Friday.

Anyone remember when KJ103 played the adam sandler thanksgiving song for 24 hours straight on thanksgiving?

Bring back the Martini!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Bring back the Martini!
    I agree. I miss that station. The format is also a rare breed these days outside of markets like Las Vegas and South Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    So they are going to 98.9 Kyis.

I wonder where jack and ron are going?
    They're going to 96.9 BOB fm apparently. That being said, hopefully they start adding current Alternative music on KYIS Fm because they seem to play the same 10 songs over and over again.

Hoping for an Alternative Rock station on 96.9.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    Hoping for an Alternative Rock station on 96.9.
    Hopefully Cumulus will see this and give the format a try. I think OKC is ready for a real alternative rock station and with no competition it could do very well in the ratings. I am not sure how the concert business works, but with the new Live Nation venue going in Bricktown, it would be nice if they would work with Cumulus or iHeartMedia in terms of getting a station here as it's important for concert promotion. With OKC's current radio landscape, they will have to rely on word of mouth and things like the Gazette to promote concerts, which doesn't reach as many people as a radio station would.

So tomorrow is the first day for Joey & Heather on 98.9 Kiss FM. It will be interesting to see how that goes and what kind of changes happen at the station with it.

Wild 104.9 is launching a new morning show with Mike on the Mic called the Wild Wake Up.

It's still a mystery as to what format will end up on 96.9.

It's still a mystery as to what format will end up on 96.9.
    They say they'll start their (as yet unidentified) new format on December 28.

was 105.3 killed? Where the hell am I gonna listen to Jim Rome now?

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Hey clone, I feel your pain. Living in Norman I have not been a regular listener for some time. I first started listening he was being sponsored by "BANG". I had a substitute for a while when the "Slam Man" was on 1340 but it was not the same. When "Elk" was on I was constantly expelling coffee on my keyboard via my nose. Were you in Houston when Dickey was there?

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    A lot of stations have been having trouble because of the ice storm. 96.9 only came back on the air yesterday. Power 103.5 is still off the air. It's possible that a similar thing has happened to 105.3.

A lot of stations have been having trouble because of the ice storm. 96.9 only came back on the air yesterday. Power 103.5 is still off the air. It's possible that a similar thing has happened to 105.3.
    It's back on now.

thanks for the heads up, that's likely

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Hey clone, I feel your pain. Living in Norman I have not been a regular listener for some time. I first started listening he was being sponsored by "BANG". I had a substitute for a while when the "Slam Man" was on 1340 but it was not the same. When "Elk" was on I was constantly expelling coffee on my keyboard via my nose. Were you in Houston when Dickey was there?
    Doesn't ring a bell. My dad listened back when I was in HS in the mid to late 90's. I really started listening around 2005 when I was in Phoenix and was spending a lot of my days in the car.

I'm not gonna lie, I kinda plan my day around the Smack Off when that day comes lol

Has anybody heard anything new regarding the format that 96.9 will be flipping to after Christmas?

The most solid rumor is country, but can anybody confirm that?

This town needs a good blues/hybrid jazz station. Do jazz for a 4/8 block then blues for a 4/8 hour block.

Jazz today is a niche format that usually is not successful outside of large markets. This is especially true now that such formats are easily available on XM or streaming. The last time OKC had a jazz station was in the late '90s on 97.9 before it became Wild. I would like to see more creative, niche radio make its way to OKC but it isn't likely to happen with the way the industry currently works.

Assuming that the new station will be country, will OKC really be able to support five country stations? I know country is very popular here, but this town will now have 93.3, 96.1, 96.9, 99.7, and 101.9 all doing country. I don't know if even Nashville has that many.

I'm going to say there is absolutely no chance it will be country, simply because I don't see Jack and Ron on a country station. I suppose we'll know in a week though.

If it does turn out to be country, I give it three months before J&R are gone or the format is gone.

Thread Information