Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio landscape in OKC

Default Re: Radio landscape in OKC

Joey and Heather are still there, my bad............

Yeah Joey and Heather have been there since almost the beginning. Cisco had also been PD since the station launched, despite control of programming being consolidated to Jan Jeffries after absorption into Cumulus. It will be interesting to see if there are any changes to the station in coming months. Though Cumulus pretty much destroyed what was once a great station, the real downhill slide began when Citadel did a signal swap, moving the station from 97.9 to 104.9. Prior to that it was one of the top stations in the market and since the swap the ratings have never recovered.

I think the biggest problem with the station today is the way the music is programmed. The Cumulus formula for music selection (primary focus on only top 15, conservative on new adds, heavy on gold) doesn't fit the CHR/Rhythmic format and makes the station sound small market and dated. Now 92.9 sounds much better despite its marginal signal.

Just got back from a one week trip to Orlando, FL and had a rental car without bluetooth so we were forced to listen to the radio the entire time. I feel like the radio landscape there was actually worse than OKC. I counted four stations that were the equivalent of KJ 103, only worse and if felt like they played the same eight songs over and over. I found one descent rock station and it was outside of Orlando so the reception was terrible. There were several other Rap/R&B stations that did the same thing as the KJ 103 stations playing the same things over and over. I was really surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Just got back from a one week trip to Orlando, FL and had a rental car without bluetooth so we were forced to listen to the radio the entire time. I feel like the radio landscape there was actually worse than OKC. I counted four stations that were the equivalent of KJ 103, only worse and if felt like they played the same eight songs over and over. I found one descent rock station and it was outside of Orlando so the reception was terrible. There were several other Rap/R&B stations that did the same thing as the KJ 103 stations playing the same things over and over. I was really surprised.
    I think unique, creative radio is dying everywhere honestly. This is what you get in a country where a few corporations own all the stations and they have streamlined them in all of their markets. It's become a lot worse since ClearChannel Communications became iHeartMedia and they have begun doing the same thing that Cumulus does (which has ruined many former Citadel stations). What bothers me about OKC stations so that there are so many country, classic rock, and sports stations yet major formats are missing. I would probably feel differently about the radio here if I liked modern pop country and 80s hair metal and actually cared about sports.

For Top 40, I like Now 92.9 in OKC pretty well. Unlike KJ-103 and Wild 104.9, they keep it current with a wider playlist and don't ignore hip-hop and new artists, and they keep all of the overplayed hits from last decade to a minimum.

Huge fan of V-103 here, but I guess that's the equivalent of liking classic rock. Oh well I don't care

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Huge fan of V-103 here, but I guess that's the equivalent of liking classic rock. Oh well I don't care
    I like V-103 sometimes, but I have most of the songs they play on my iPod so I generally end up listening to that instead when I want late '90s/early '00s hip-hop.

heard this morning that joey and heather are leaving 104.9? are the moving stations or is the show getting cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    heard this morning that joey and heather are leaving 104.9? are the moving stations or is the show getting cancelled?
    Interesting.

My guess is that a format flip or at least tweak is on the way. I could be wrong but the signs are there. Cisco, the PD, was ousted a few weeks ago and now Joey and Heather are leaving.

I really hope that whatever they do with the station is something good. Hopefully they don't do another country station or sports station.

Personally, it wouldn't surprise me if Cumulus plans to roll out their NASH Icon format on 104.9. This would mean there would now be three classic country stations in the market. I hope I am wrong on that as OKC needs another country station like it needs another Wal-Mart, but if a format flip happens, this seems like the direction they might take.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Personally, it wouldn't surprise me if Cumulus plans to roll out their NASH Icon format on 104.9. This would mean there would now be three classic country stations in the market. I hope I am wrong on that as OKC needs another country station like it needs another Wal-Mart, but if a format flip happens, this seems like the direction they might take.
    Please we don't need any more country stations in OKC, we have too many, if they do something, please flip it to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post
    Please we don't need any more country stations in OKC, we have too many, if they do something, please flip it to something else.
    I agree. The only reason I predict that is because Cumulus is doing that in a lot of their other markets. Country is Cumulus' top format and the fact that they don't currently own any country stations in OKC means that this market is in "danger" of getting one.

I think if Cumulus decides to try country, 104.9 isn't a good signal for it since it fades quickly after you get outside of the immediate metro area. Country's primary listener base is in the suburban and rural areas surrounding OKC. It would be a better fit for 96.9 or 98.9.

Hopefully though, Cumulus will see that the market is already saturated with country stations as it is and do something new with 104.9.

So they are going to 98.9 Kyis.

I wonder where jack and ron are going?

Hopefully though, Cumulus will see that the market is already saturated with country stations as it is and do something new with 104.9.
    I know when I think of original programming I think of Cumulus.

So they are going to 98.9 Kyis.

I wonder where jack and ron are going?
    They are going to 96.9.

At this point I will be surprised if there isn't a format flip on 104.9 on Dec 3rd.

They are going to 96.9.

At this point I will be surprised if there isn't a format flip on 104.9 on Dec 3rd.
    So "they" you were referring to was Jack and Ron, who are going to 96.9.

And joey and heather are going to 98.9

I guess Bob and Tom are history?

So "they" you were referring to was Jack and Ron, who are going to 96.9.

And joey and heather are going to 98.9

I guess Bob and Tom are history?
    That's what was said on KKWD's Facebook.

96.9 was playing Christmas music this morning. Have they done this in years past?

Just watched the announcement on Jack and Ron Facebook page, the way their talking after Christmas, 96.9 maybe flipping to all talk, but I don't know, maybe it will change to Alternative rock, something that OKC needs.

Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post
    Just watched the announcement on Jack and Ron Facebook page, the way their talking after Christmas, 96.9 maybe flipping to all talk, but I don't know, maybe it will change to Alternative rock, something that OKC needs.
    Sports or conservative political talk? OKC doesn't need either.

Sports or conservative political talk? OKC doesn't need either.
    Where do you get conservative political talk already? and why don't you think you can find liberal political talk (see NPR)?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Where do you get conservative political talk already? and why don't you think you can find liberal political talk (see NPR)?
    Liberal talk stations are usually not very successful. It was tried with Air America and that was a pretty big failure. The traditional radio medium doesn't really appeal to the demographic they are going for. If I was in the radio business, I probably wouldn't do liberal talk.

Per KKWD's Facebook, 104.9 will keep its format and 98.9 will be tweaked to be more current. Will be interesting to see if they keep their AC lean or go full-on CHR and compete directly with KJ-103.

Signs are really pointing to 96.9 being the station getting a format flip being that Bob and Tom are getting the boot and they have gone all Christmas.

Per KKWD's Facebook, 104.9 will keep its format and 98.9 will be tweaked to be more current. Will be interesting to see if they keep their AC lean or go full-on CHR and compete directly with KJ-103.

Signs are really pointing to 96.9 being the station getting a format flip being that Bob and Tom are getting the boot and they have gone all Christmas.
    Wonder if that means KMGL (104.1) isn't doing all-Christmas this season?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Wonder if that means KMGL (104.1) isn't doing all-Christmas this season?
    Was wondering that myself.

Was listening to 96.9 on my lunchbreak and they said they will be doing all-Christmas until Dec 28th and then unveil a new format.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Conservative political talk can be found at 1000 am. NPR is not political talk in that vein. Splendid table, BBC news hour, morning edition, etc.

Thread Information