Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norman Economic Development

Default Re: Norman Economic Development

Looking at the election results from Norman and they seem like they are voting against every single city improvement proposition including funding for a homeless shelter. Yikes. I don’t know that much about Norman but they just constantly seem like an anti growth, small thinking city.

It's no different from what Stillwater has always done, though rare exceptions are that Stillwater has a much nicer police station than the old one and Payne County has a much bigger, modern county jail as large as the courthouse, itself. Raising more public money was mainly only acceptable for improved law and order. Another rare exception, some sales tax dollars go to street rebuilding and maintenance.

People already feel taxed enough. Raising city total sales taxes ever closer to 10% only would only make them well among the highest in the state.

I saw those results as more indicative of what the voters think of the council and mayor.

4. Default Re: Norman Economic Development

It was also a pretty tough election to get those passed. Pretty much the only thing on the ballot was GOP run off elections. I think you have low voter turn out from DEM and IND since they had nothing to vote on except the propositions.

They kind of set themselves up for failure.

Also, people are very worried about the economy and many are out of work.

Not a good time to try and pass a bond issue for things that many would regard as luxuries.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    It was also a pretty tough election to get those passed. Pretty much the only thing on the ballot was GOP run off elections. I think you have low voter turn out from DEM and IND since they had nothing to vote on except the propositions.

They kind of set themselves up for failure.
    Republican only ballot basically. And republicans are probably the ones more frustrated the Norman government so this was no surprise to me at all.

Or just history repeating itself, if Norman usually rejects most civic improvement projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Or just history repeating itself, if Norman usually rejects most civic improvement projects.
    I live here and don't believe that to be true.
    For example, just last year.
    Some pass, some fail.
    The Norman forward in 2015 passed as well.
    Norman residents approve transportation bond, reject stormwater bond in April 2 election | News | oudaily.com
    http://www.oudaily.com/news/norman-r...099cdafb4.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I live here and don't believe that to be true.
    For example, just last year.
    Some pass, some fail.
    The Norman forward in 2015 passed as well.
    Norman residents approve transportation bond, reject stormwater bond in April 2 election | News | oudaily.com
    http://www.oudaily.com/news/norman-r...099cdafb4.html
    Hasn't that storm water bond been repeatedly denied?

10. Default Re: Norman Economic Development

I was kind of wondering what the deal was with this bond issue, since there wasn't a lot of communication from the boosters as to the details of it. Some of the same projects were included in the 2015 Norman Forward election. Did the 2015 tax increase to fund them expire and have to be renewed?

I went ahead and voted yes on them because I liked the projects, but I guess I was the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    I was kind of wondering what the deal was with this bond issue, since there wasn't a lot of communication from the boosters as to the details of it. Some of the same projects were included in the 2015 Norman Forward election. Did the 2015 tax increase to fund them expire and have to be renewed?

I went ahead and voted yes on them because I liked the projects, but I guess I was the only one.
    Here is a link to an article that should address your questions:

https://www.normantranscript.com/new...d0cfe7435.html

Highlights
    1) 2015 0.5 cent sales taxes is for 15 years and was expected to raise $200 million.
    2) Sales tax not generating expected revenue, and construction and land acquisition costs have increased.
    3) Additional revenue of $85 million is needed to complete the projects.

My thoughts
    1) The $85 million needed to complete the projects indicates the city had large misses on both the revenue and expenditure sides.
    2) Most bond packages and sales tax increases pass in Norman (except the storm-water utility).
    3) The only runoff in my area was the GOP nominee for Sheriff yet over 22,000 people voted in the election. For comparison, just over 13,000 people voted in the competitive 2019 mayoral election.
    4) The failure of the bond issues to pass was likely due to a dislike for the mayor and current city council.

12. Default Re: Norman Economic Development

Quote Originally Posted by vaflyer View Post
    Here is a link to an article that should address your questions:

https://www.normantranscript.com/new...d0cfe7435.html

Highlights
    1) 2015 0.5 cent sales taxes is for 15 years and was expected to raise $200 million.
    2) Sales tax not generating expected revenue, and construction and land acquisition costs have increased.
    3) Additional revenue of $85 million is needed to complete the projects.

My thoughts
    1) The $85 million needed to complete the projects indicates the city had large misses on both the revenue and expenditure sides.
    2) Most bond packages and sales tax increases pass in Norman (except the storm-water utility).
    3) The only runoff in my area was the GOP nominee for Sheriff yet over 22,000 people voted in the election. For comparison, just over 13,000 people voted in the competitive 2019 mayoral election.
    4) The failure of the bond issues to pass was likely due to a dislike for the mayor and current city council.
    I think it might be about displeasure with the council but also people just not wanting to pay more taxes right now being out of work. Bad time for any big bond this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Looking at the election results from Norman and they seem like they are voting against every single city improvement proposition including funding for a homeless shelter. Yikes. I don’t know that much about Norman but they just constantly seem like an anti growth, small thinking city.
    Norman is actually one of the most progressive cities in the state. They are constantly doing construction and passing bonds, etc. I think these results are more of a reflection to the opposotion against the Mayor & City Council.

Norman is actually one of the most progressive cities in the state. They are constantly doing construction and passing bonds, etc. I think these results are more of a reflection to the opposotion against the Mayor & City Council.

Nothing too exciting but Norman’s first Popeyes and it’s third Dunkin Donuts are being built: https://www.facebook.com/10006432548...ibextid=DcJ9fc

It's not the first Popeyes for Norman, but will be the only one currently.

17. Default Re: Norman Economic Development

Nothing too exciting but Norman’s first Popeyes and it’s third Dunkin Donuts are being built: https://www.facebook.com/10006432548...ibextid=DcJ9fc
    The Popeyes is pretty exciting for us, as we like it, but the closest location to us is at I-240 and Sooner. We're not normally in that area, and it's far enough away it won't be hot by the time we get it home.

I get what you're saying, though. It is a pretty shrimpy, small-potatoes development.

I would like to see Captain D's make a reappearance in Norman. There is an untapped market for fast seafood.
    BONEFISH would make a nice addition in town as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott5114 View Post
    The Popeyes is pretty exciting for us, as we like it, but the closest location to us is at I-240 and Sooner. We're not normally in that area, and it's far enough away it won't be hot by the time we get it home.

I get what you're saying, though. It is a pretty shrimpy, small-potatoes development.
    I love Popeyes too. I usually get their shrimp or spicy chicken strips. Regarding potatoes their mashed potatoes are pretty good and I really like their fries. Don’t know why but I rank them up there as some of the best fast food fries. My only complaint is their soda is often flat or at least it is at their Edmond and Hollywood locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I would like to see Captain D's make a reappearance in Norman. There is an untapped market for fast seafood.
    BONEFISH would make a nice addition in town as well.
    I’d like to see a Bonefish anywhere in OKC. I ate at the Tulsa location once and it was pretty good.

I’d like to see a Bonefish anywhere in OKC. I ate at the Tulsa location once and it was pretty good.
    As in In-N-Out, Bonefish doesn't sound like a very appetizing place to eat.

Thread Information