Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Houston

Default Houston

Houston is a very cool city that has a lot to offer. I will also post some updates about development occurring in the city from time to time.

Here is a nice article that outlines some really cool features!

There are 26 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in Houston, fewer than New York's 72 but well ahead of Dallas's 19 and Washington D.C.'s 20. Many are in the city's "energy corridor," the home of the oil and gas industry.

They include Conoco Phillips, Marathon Oil, Sysco, Apache, Halliburton, and many more.
    It hosts the world's largest concentration of healthcare organizations, with scientists working hard to beat cancer.

Read more: Houston Best City In America - Business Insider

The Texas Medical Center is the largest single employer in Houston, and the largest medical center in the world, with 21 hospitals, eight academic and research institutions, and 50 total related organizations, all not-for-profit.

The complex is larger than downtown Dallas.

Institutions include the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, one of the world's premier cancer treatment and research hospitals, which is spending billions in an aggressive push to cure five types of cancer.

Houston's port is the largest in terms of international tonnage handled, and third in terms of trade value. That means a great deal of international business and trade.

That means even more jobs.

It's also exceptionally business friendly, and is the only major U.S. city without zoning laws.

That port itself, along with Houston's strength in the energy sector and proximity to Latin America, enticed more than 100 foreign-owned companies to either expand, start new businesses, or relocate to Houston between 2008 and 2010.
    A paycheck goes farther in Houston than any other major metropolitan area.

Living well isn't just about high pay. It's about how much everything costs. You can't beat Houston here.

When you adjust for cost of living, Houston has the highest pay in the country at $73,418, ahead of places like the San Jose area, which has high wages but extremely high costs.

Houston recently passed New York to become the most ethnically and racially diverse city in the U.S.

According to Census data, Houston is the most racially and ethnically diverse large metropolitan area in the U.S. Some 400,000 foreign-born residents moved to the city between 2000 and 2010.

The Anglo population in Houston is 39.7%, compared to 48.9% in New York, there are nearly as many Latinos as Anglos, and there's a large and rapidly growing Asian population.
    The New York Times calls it "one of the country's most exciting places to eat."

T.Tseng/Flickr
    The publication gave glowing reviews to innovative Houston restaurants Oxheart and Underbelly. Its chief food critic, Pete Wells, wrote that Houston is becoming "one of the country's most exciting places to eat."

There's also an outpost of Uchi, one of America's most lauded sushi restaurants, and much more.
    Housing is more affordable here. Houston didn't experience a housing bubble the way the rest of the country did.

Houston's got more parks than any other top-10 metropolitan area.

Though it's known for its association with the oil industry, Houston has lots and lots of parks and green space — 50,632 acres in total. That puts it third in the U.S. behind only San Diego and Dallas in acreage per capita.

The city's been investing a large amount in building out this space, particularly building out the space surrounding the Buffalo Bayou, Houston's main waterway.
    The combination of the University of Houston and Rice University means there are a bunch of smart people around.

It's not quite the college town that Boston is, but Houston's higher education system is nothing to sniff at. The University of Houston has some 39,000 students and was elevated to Tier One status as a research university by the Carnegie Foundation in 2011.

Rice University is one of the country's best undergraduate schools, ranked 18th nationally, with particularly strong programs in applied sciences.
    The city is filled with unique, world-class museums and cultural landmarks, like the Rothko Chapel.

Houston's Museum of Fine Arts is among the largest museums in the U.S., and one of the best collections of American decorative art and furniture in the house of a former trustee, along with 14 acres of former gardens.

Mark Rothko spent three years creating the works of art that inhabit The Rothko Chapel, which he also helped design.

There are 19 total museums in a 1.5 mile radius that make up the Houston Museum District.
    Houston has one of the largest rodeos in the world.

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, held annually in Reliant Stadium, is one of the biggest in the country, attracting over 2.4 million visitors in 2014.

The annual event features over 20,000 livestock exhibits; every fried food under the sun, from fried Oreos to deep-fried Nutella; and nightly concerts featuring country music heavyweights such as Brad Paisley and the Zac Brown Band.
    There is more here: Houston Best City In America - Business Insider

Here's another cool article about the city's small businesses: Coolest Small Businesses Houston - Business Insider

2. Default Re: Houston

Besides the driving, Houston is one of my favorite regional cities that I frequent. Always have a good time and people seem more grounded that the Dallas types.

Default Re: Houston

I love Houston myself. I even prefer it to DFW, though both are great cities. Houston traffic though is atrocious. Last time I was there was in the middle of the I-10 road construction. In my opinion, traffic is a necessary evil that comes with living in a desirable city.

Yeah it doesn't really matter, any major city will have bad traffic

New renderings of Houston new signature tower. 609 Main. (757 ft.) U/C

Also check out the movie. http://www.609main.com/themovie/

Houston is a @%*#hole, but I really do like it.

It kicks the crap out of Dallas in terms of anything remotely related to culture. Minus the abhorrent development practices, it is a city I wish more OKC people would look to for inspiration. They have a fantastic food scene and they actually give a crap about the arts (for example: Best opera company in the region).

Houston is certainly not a sh!t hole in any sense of the word. They have suburban skylines that kick the crap out of the dt OKC skyline any day of the week and is expected to overtake Chicago's city population by the decades end. The amount of development in Houston is just mesmerizing and all with major huge highways and six Lane roads with minimal building codes.

The only thing Dallas has against Houston at this point is a better light rail system. Last I heard, Houston is about to invest billions in new light rail construction.

I Honestly wanted to post a bunch a bunch of development going on in Houston here, but I frankly don't have the time. I was in Houston two weeks ago and couldn't believe how much was going on.

It truly is incredible how much is going on in Texas. Dallas, Austin, and Houston are just monsters at this point.

When I was talking with some friends down there, we were joking around that it would be nice to see a multi billion dollar Opera House development in OKC on the river. I truly would like to see that.

Houston is underrated imo. There is so many things you can do, like even going surfing at Surfside Beach which is one of the better beaches they have in the Houston metro. From Museums to food to world wide culture. Houston has it.

Speaking of beaches, here is Surfside Beach.

Surfside Beach House Rentals | Texas Beach House Rentals

The location is located at the western edge of San Luis Island, west of Galveston Island.

I travel to Houston about once a year for business. I'm always amazed by the amount of new development especially recently. I do think we are seeing a world class city in the making. I don't like a lot of the new urban residential development though there is a lot of it and it's transforming the inner city.

All the development that's going on is head spinning. From new restaurants to the light rail expansion. Still I will keep track as well on developments. Speaking of which a new 40 story apartment tower has just broken ground in downtown.

Record size residential project set to rise downtown - Houston Chronicle

Just depends where you are in Houston, Teo9969. Parts of the city do look like a 3rd world country, but the mayor of Houston is revitalizing the Wards section in which is coming along nicely that I might add.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Houston is certainly not a sh!t hole in any sense of the word. They have suburban skylines that kick the crap out of the dt OKC skyline any day of the week and is expected to overtake Chicago's city population by the decades end. The amount of development in Houston is just mesmerizing and all with major huge highways and six Lane roads with minimal building codes.

The only thing Dallas has against Houston at this point is a better light rail system. Last I heard, Houston is about to invest billions in new light rail construction.

I Honestly wanted to post a bunch a bunch of development going on in Houston here, but I frankly don't have the time. I was in Houston two weeks ago and couldn't believe how much was going on.

It truly is incredible how much is going on in Texas. Dallas, Austin, and Houston are just monsters at this point.

When I was talking with some friends down there, we were joking around that it would be nice to see a multi billion dollar Opera House development in OKC on the river. I truly would like to see that.
    Only a mental midget would compare OKC with Houston. One has a metro pop of about 6.5 million and the other metro pop of about 1.3 million. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Only a mental midget would compare OKC with Houston. One has a metro pop of about 6.5 million and the other metro pop of about 1.3 million. Sheesh.
    My point was to show the scope and szie of development in Houston, not to compare the two.

I was responding to Teo anyhow.... you can get your panties in a wad if you wish, that sir, is entirely up to you.

I didn't say Houston didn't have nice things. They have tons of nice things.

I personally enjoy the city quite a bit.

At this very point in time, it's still very much an atrocity in terms of development. You've never seen such inconsistent flow from one thing to another. It's going to take decades to be fixed, but once it is fixed, it will easily be a crown jewel for the United States.

That would be the case of the lack of zoning laws that Houston has a reputation of. That's something that'll never be fixed but could be altered to where it's not so noticeable. Somehow I like how Houston has created it's own image. Just makes the area feel so massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I didn't say Houston didn't have nice things. They have tons of nice things.

I personally enjoy the city quite a bit.

At this very point in time, it's still very much an atrocity in terms of development. You've never seen such inconsistent flow from one thing to another. It's going to take decades to be fixed, but once it is fixed, it will easily be a crown jewel for the United States.
    well, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I kind of like it like that. There are a quite a bit of really nice parts of Houston that go on for miles though.

Kingwood TX highrise development.

Kings Creek to have top location, design - Houston Chronicle

This is what makes Houston so interesting, this development will be located 30 miles north of downtown Houston. Construction starts very soon.

That's interesting but I wouldn't call it highrise.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    That's interesting but I wouldn't call it highrise.
    The development is going to be worth 1.2 billion dollars

The development is going to be worth 1.2 billion dollars
    Does that make it highrise?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Does that make it highrise?
    No man but it could be. It just isn't.

It just depends on what a person's definition of a high rise is. I consider a high rise 10 stories and higher or 100ft. But either way you can classify it as a 8 story residential building.

No man but it could be. It just isn't.
    OK, but the Stage Center Tower could be highrise also but it just isn't as far as we know. What something could be just isn't relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
    It just depends on what a person's definition of a high rise is. I consider a high rise 10 stories and higher or 100ft. But either way you can classify it as a 8 story residential building.
    That's true but I have never seen an 8 story building called a high rise. OKC certainly isn't calling a proposed stage center building around 16 stories a high rise.

Thread Information