Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Houston

Default Re: Houston

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    That would be my plan. I lived in Charlotte which is much more humid than OKC so I think I can handle the humidity. As far as traffic, I'll be renting a room from my friend until I find a job and then I'll get an apartment near wherever I'm working. Dallas traffic can be bad but it's typically manageable. Is Houston that much worse?
    Yes.

That would be my plan. I lived in Charlotte which is much more humid than OKC so I think I can handle the humidity. As far as traffic, I'll be renting a room from my friend until I find a job and then I'll get an apartment near wherever I'm working. Dallas traffic can be bad but it's typically manageable. Is Houston that much worse?
    It depends on the area. IMO, the traffic is worse the farther out you get from downtown.

3. Default Re: Houston

Houston traffic is WAY worse than Dallas. But if you can afford to live close to your work it could be manageable. And the Hurricanes are only part of the problem. It's the 50 inches of rain that comes along with it that is devastating. Houston is at least 45 miles from the coast so not as much wind effect as Galveston gets.

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    It depends on the area. IMO, the traffic is worse the farther out you get from downtown.
    Good to know. Yeah, if I move there I'm going to try to live inside the 610 loop, unless my job is out somewhere like the Woodlands or Katy.

Speaking of Houston: https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...ign=news-local

Knowing Houston and it’s joke of a rail network this will likely be a semi quasi streetcar. Hopefully I’m proved wrong and a fully grade separated option is chosen. Houston desperately needs to expand its rail network.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Speaking of Houston: https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...ign=news-local

Knowing Houston and it’s joke of a rail network this will likely be a semi quasi streetcar. Hopefully I’m proved wrong and a fully grade separated option is chosen. Houston desperately needs to expand its rail network.
    I agree. I just recently looked into it and I'm surprised how basic it is compared to DART. It's still better than Phoenix's though.

If I move to Phoenix it's more for the climate, scenery, and the outdoor recreation that Arizona offers and also the easy access to Vegas and California. The desert southwest also has a special place in my heart and always has. Phoenix traffic also flows much smoother than Houston. The metro area isn't that much smaller either. It will just be more expensive and more difficult for me to go there. I might still do it though.

There's a lot to like about Houston though despite its negatives, in my opinion. City alone (not considering geography or climate), Houston wins over Phoenix.

^^^^Phoenix is a cool city and has lots of amazing nearby destinations that Houston lacks. Phoenix has an incredible freeway system with many more freeways being planned. Tucson is a bit anti freeway but the two metros are growing as close as they can and are limited due to the preservation between them. Phoenix is a great city though you are correct as a city Houston has them beat in terms of amenities offered. Believe it or not, IIRC, Phoenix has taken a sharp anti-rail turn and have talked about possible drastic service reductions. They are hardly the only city to do this though it stings more in Phoenix as they have a wimpy mass transit system. Their bus network is not bad though. I’d say Phoenix best in recreation and weather to add.

You really can’t go wrong with either city. I am not too familiar with Houston, TBH. I think Dallas as a city is more advanced and ahead in many ways but Houston is more authentic whereas Dallas is more cookie cutter. Phoenix certainly has its fair share of cookie cutter but you will find areas that have tons of character there as well as many small towns. Phoenix is booming with population growth showing no signs of stopping so I can only imagine the city will continue to get better.

Connections to Las Vegas should become much better when the I-11 corridor is built between the two cities but when that is becomes anyone’s guess. Right now they are caught up with finding a route through Kingman and then moving south of I-40. Good news for relief of summer heat becomes driving to Las Vegas and going to Mt. Charleston, heading to Flagstaff, or a trip down I-10 to the beach. Mexico is at your doorstep and though I’m not familiar with the Texas border-towns(Mexico side) I can tell you that Tijuana is pretty safe city. I’ve been so many times and my recommendation is to take red line trolley to the border and walk over. It will save so much time coming back into US.

Houston is a likely contender to become a next mega city if they play their cards right. I think the only major issues with Houston are the seemingly constant floods which will likely only get worse with climate change.

Thread Information