Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Houston

Default Re: Houston

Now 16 stories I could see as a high-rise or a tall building.

Quote Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
    Now 16 stories I could see as a high-rise or a tall building.
    No doubt that is a tall building but few would call it a high rise.

I would say a low rise is anything 5> stories

Mid-rise: 5-25 stories

High-rise: 25-50 stories

Supertall: 50-75 stories

Skyrise: 75> stories

Of course there are no exact definitions for that so anyone is free to make up there own.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Of course there are no exact definitions for that so anyone is free to make up there own.
    ah so in that case I'll say OKC needs a few mid-rises(75< stories)

Or how about this.

Low-rise 1-5 stories

Mid-rise 6-12 stories

High-rise 13-25 stories

Skyscraper 26-65 stories

Supertall 66-100 stories.

Either way it there is no right or wrong answer. Typical people will say 100 ft. or higher would be classified as a high-rise. So I'm not debating weather it should or shouldn't just putting what's going on in the Houston metro.

Quote Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
    Or how about this.

Low-rise 1-5 stories

Mid-rise 6-12 stories

High-rise 13-25 stories

Skyscraper 26-65 stories

Supertall 66-100 stories.
    I can dig it! Actually that makes more sense as I was describing high-rise in the sense of a skyscraper but perhaps it would be better to separate the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The development is going to be worth 1.2 billion dollars
    The entire master-plan development will be that much, not that one building.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    The entire master-plan development will be that much, not that one building.
    That's why I said development

Recent development map

This is freaking beautiful! I love this!!!!!!!!!

George R Brown Convention Center Expansion

Rendering

site preping going on today.

https://m.facebook.com/GRBHouston?_rdr

That large hole that you see to the far left on the last picture is the new Marriott Marquis

Progress from August 22. 2014

https://m.facebook.com/GRBHouston?_rdr

Ivy District mixed-use development

The Beijing-based developers who plan to build a mixed-use project on the site west of Texas 288 and south of Beltway 8 hope to bring a new lifestyle to Pearland as well.

Modern Green Development, one of the largest developers in China, chose the 48-acre site as its first site in the United States. Its project, called the Ivy District, was approved in July by the Planning and Zoning Commission. The plan still needs approval from the Pearland City Council before it can move forward, said Kevin Cole, the company’s Vice President for Development.

The plan, still in its early stages, will include:

• 150-room hotel and conference center
    • Community center
    • 1,150 residential units (400 rental units)
    • Total investment: $300 million
    • Retail: 160,000 square feet
    • Office: 140,000 square feet

A similar mixed-use project was previously planned for that site around 2007, before the economic downturn stalled the idea and the property was taken over by a bank. That project, to be called the Water Lights District, was to include a park to display 43 presidential busts by local artist David Adickes. In Pearland, a suburb where farmland has rapidly given way to residential development in recent decades, the busts were meant to welcome visitors and give the area character. Only six busts were installed in the Presidential Park & Gardens, and Barack Obama had yet to win election before the project stalled.

- http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...al/#25899101=4

The Southmore

Hanover River Oaks

609 Main Video Rendering

http://www.609main.com/themovie/

I'll post a direct link later

Texas Medical Center to open 'country's largest' life-sciences accelerator

Texas Medical Center to open large life sciences accelerator in Houston - Houston Business Journal

I was reading a similar article in Governing mag:
    Houston: The Surprising Contender in America?s Urban Revival

I think what is at play here is that Houston is gentrifying big-time, as its chronic congestion has propelled inner city gentrification. I wish the media would stop listening to Joel Kotkin.

Check out this epic video of Houston!

With grand opening ahead, Buffalo Bayou Park president already looking at next phase

Pictures by Aries https://www.flickr.com/photos/coogie/

Buffalo Bayou Park held thousands at its grand opening bonanza Oct. 3, but if you ask Anne Olson, president of the Buffalo Bayou Partnership, it's time to start planning for part two.

The current section of Buffalo Bayou Park extends from Shepherd Drive to Sabine Street and features pavilions, a dog park, miles of trails and lush wildlife. The next segment includes the downtown district, Allen's Landing, as well as east of downtown, where Buffalo Bayou runs through public and private property.

"East of downtown, (the partnership) owns 50 acres, but all the rest is in the hands of private owners, the city or county. It will be a different kind of plan," Olson said.

The partnership plans to hold community meetings in the next year to hear feedback about what could be done with the eastern stretch of the Buffalo Bayou and how it could connect to the finished west end. Right now, the Rice University Crew Team and the Texas Dragon Boat Association operate on a floating dock near Allen's Landing, but future plans call for a permanent boat house, Olson told the HBJ.

"We won't tell people what to do with their property, but hopefully we'll be able to work with property owners collaboratively to show them what we'll be doing with our green space that will benefit them long-term," Olson said.
    Buffalo Bayou Park set to open Oct. 3, President Anne Olson looking at next portion of park - Houston Business Journal

Massive Kirby mixed-use project breaks ground

A massive mixed-use project announced early this year has secured construction financing and will break ground next month.

New York City-based Thor Equities will break ground on the Kirby Collection, a $125 million mixed-use development that will total more than 1 million square feet, on Oct. 5, a representative from Thor Equities said.

Little Rock-based Bank of the Ozarks will provide financing for the project, which will encompass the block bounded by Kirby Drive, West Main Street, Colquitt Street and Lake Street. The development will include a 25-story, 385,000-square-foot residential tower; a 13-story, 210,000-square-foot Class A office building; and 65,000 square feet of high-end retail along Kirby Drive, including restaurants.
    Thor Equities to break ground on Kirby Collection in Houston (Video) - Houston Business Journal

More renderings

River Oaks District opens fashionably on time

chitects, city officials and designer-clad socialites buzzed under trees strung with white lights Thursday morning at the opening of River Oaks District, the luxury shopping, office and residential development on Westheimer just inside the West Loop.

OliverMcMillan, the California-based developer of the project, kept its promise of a fall opening. But even as champagne flowed and guests nibbled hors d'oeuvres Thursday morning, construction continued in a few stores and on the 270 residential units above the west side of the project.

More construction will follow. A project nine years in the making - postponed at one time by the 2008 financial crisis - River Oaks District transformed several acres into a nucleus of some of the world's top luxury retailers including Cartier, Dior, Hermès and Tom Ford.
    River Oaks District opens fashionably on time - Houston Chronicle

Thread Information