Widgets Magazine

Thread: Heritage Park Mall

Default Heritage Park Mall

Heritage Park Mall; Midwest City, Oklahoma | Labelscar

The images on this page really take me back. The mall is straight out of the 1980s, but it was pretty full even into the early 2000s. That entire retail corridor in Midwest City at Reno and Air Depot used to be pretty busy. In addition to the mall, you had Hastings and Circuit City. Sad to see it in the shape its in today.

Default Re: Heritage Park Mall

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Heritage Park Mall; Midwest City, Oklahoma | Labelscar

The images on this page really take me back. The mall is straight out of the 1980s, but it was pretty full even into the early 2000s. That entire retail corridor in Midwest City at Reno and Air Depot used to be pretty busy. In addition to the mall, you had Hastings and Circuit City. Sad to see it in the shape its in today.
    I talked about this with an acquaintance (former mayor of MWC) and the takeaway for me was the lack of maintenance / re-investment from the owner. If the "shape" you're talking about is the physical situation, it's the owner's fault. If the "shape" is the fact that its yet another dying mall, that's got further causes. Look at where MWC is growing, though. It's a lot of investment in the central areas, to include the region around city hall and TAFB. I'd like to think that MWC can see money being better spent in its core.

I'm amazed the HPM sears has hung in as long as it has if in fact it's still open.

Sears is still there, I'm surprised they didn't move to Town Center Plaza when HPM closed.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Sears is still there, I'm surprised they didn't move to Town Center Plaza when HPM closed.
    Sears is too busy trying to stay alive. I dont think the new Sears hometown store at Quail Springs is even open yet.

I grew up in Choctaw in the late 80's / early 90's, so HPM was quite a bastion of hope for me. Music, video games, clothes... A little closer than Crossroads Mall, and a lot easier to talk my parents into taking me to!

I was so sad to see it deteriorate over the years.

The Heritage Park Mall Sears recently closed.

According to Heritage Park Mall's Facebook page, they are currently making needed repairs with plans to reopen.

Quote Originally Posted by acumpton View Post
    According to Heritage Park Mall's Facebook page, they are currently making needed repairs with plans to reopen.
    It had already been reported they planned to close permanently.

I'm sure the mall is just trying to paint the best possible picture.

http://newsok.com/article/5551950

I'm surprised they even have someone bothering to keep the Facebook page updated with PR spin. The mall itself has been closed for awhile now.

Here's the status they posted the other day.

They link to this company's FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/srmglobalpartners/

Which appears to be a multi-cultural consulting firm?

Multicultural economic development. I think this was Crossroads direction right before it died.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Multicultural economic development. I think this was Crossroads direction right before it died.
    Yeah, they are working with the same consulting group that the Plaza Mayor people worked with. Someone actually pointed this out in the facebook comments. Their response was that Plaza Mayor was seeing results, but the owners pulled the plug and gave up to fast.

I really don't see this as being anything other than a flea market type of facility with small events like Mexican wrestling. Plaza Mayor actually had some stores left open and they couldn't make it work. Heritage just has a life church that will probably move as soon as they build their own building.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yeah, they are working with the same consulting group that the Plaza Mayor people worked with. Someone actually pointed this out in the facebook comments. Their response was that Plaza Mayor was seeing results, but the owners pulled the plug and gave up to fast.

I really don't see this as being anything other than a flea market type of facility with small events like Mexican wrestling. Plaza Mayor actually had some stores left open and they couldn't make it work. Heritage just has a life church that will probably move as soon as they build their own building.
    I think the developers just grossly overestimated the amount of business available to incubate and then migrate into the mall itself. And I also suspect the physical plant issues associated with a 40-year-old building were starting to stare them in the face, too - they had a portable A/C system on an 18-wheel bed on the 2nd floor pumping in cold air through ducts routed under the grating in front of where Farrell's used to be. If that implies they've lost some large A/C units, that's possibly a killer expense that finally just ended things.

I think they gave it a really legit try. Just not enough fuel out there, as it were, to keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I think the developers just grossly overestimated the amount of business available to incubate and then migrate into the mall itself. And I also suspect the physical plant issues associated with a 40-year-old building were starting to stare them in the face, too - they had a portable A/C system on an 18-wheel bed on the 2nd floor pumping in cold air through ducts routed under the grating in front of where Farrell's used to be. If that implies they've lost some large A/C units, that's possibly a killer expense that finally just ended things.

I think they gave it a really legit try. Just not enough fuel out there, as it were, to keep it going.
    They should have shut down half the mall to lower the amount of space they needed to maintain and fill.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yeah, they are working with the same consulting group that the Plaza Mayor people worked with.
    And that worked out so well. . .

Thread Information