Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LINN Energy

Default Re: LINN Energy

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is that bad?
    Not that I know of. It was just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Not that I know of. It was just an observation.
    Oh. I'm not extremely familiar with all the different construction techniques so I didn't know if it was a cheapo depo kind of deal with would mean less quality.

The majority of this type of building in Austin, San Antonio, Houston and DFW are pre-cast or site-cast concrete tilt-wall. I did about 10-15 million square feet of office and industrial buildings down there in using this method. For office buildings we did all types of exterior finishes on them and industrial buildings were typically coated with an elastomeric coating similar to the EIFS/stucco final coat over the concrete finish instead of the polystyrene insulation like EIFS. You can do some very nice buildings for a reasonable price with this method.

Is Linn Energy related in any way to the Linn family in OKC? James Paul Linn Sr. has a wing at Baptist Hospital named after him and he was best known for being Imelda Marcos attorney. I didn't know if his son Jim was involved in the company. His other son is Rex Linn, on CSI Miami and was in the movie Cliffhanger.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The majority of this type of building in Austin, San Antonio, Houston and DFW are pre-cast or site-cast concrete tilt-wall. I did about 10-15 million square feet of office and industrial buildings down there in using this method. For office buildings we did all types of exterior finishes on them and industrial buildings were typically coated with an elastomeric coating similar to the EIFS/stucco final coat over the concrete finish instead of the polystyrene insulation like EIFS. You can do some very nice buildings for a reasonable price with this method.

Is Linn Energy related in any way to the Linn family in OKC? James Paul Linn Sr. has a wing at Baptist Hospital named after him and he was best known for being Imelda Marcos attorney. I didn't know if his son Jim was involved in the company. His other son is Rex Linn, on CSI Miami and was in the movie Cliffhanger.
    Linn Energy was founded by Michael Linn. This doesn't seem to give any previous connection to OKC but doesn't rule it out either.
    Michael C. Linn - University of Houston

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Linn Energy was founded by Michael Linn. This doesn't seem to give any previous connection to OKC but doesn't rule it out either.
    Michael C. Linn - University of Houston
    Thanks, I wasn't even though the Linn name has had some prominence in OKC over the years.

The LINN stock is going for about $10/share. Is this a good time to buy in? Any good guesses as to what it could be in the future? Am I going to be missing out for not buying ten or twenty grand worth today?

Quote Originally Posted by rtz View Post
    The LINN stock is going for about $10/share. Is this a good time to buy in? Any good guesses as to what it could be in the future? Am I going to be missing out for not buying ten or twenty grand worth today?
    Buy LNCO, not LINE. LINE is the MLP, which causes more tax issues in certain situations. LNCO is the holding company, they both pay .2416 MONTHLY dividend.

Why you should buy LNCO -

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49438008

Great dividends -

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/linn-e...210500262.html

8. Default Re: LINN Energy

It's too bad all this crap is getting built on Memorial. It's building after building of suburban cookie cutter crap. Bleh. You could fill a few towers downtown with this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    It's too bad all this crap is getting built on Memorial. It's building after building of suburban cookie cutter crap. Bleh. You could fill a few towers downtown with this stuff.
    OKC isn't unique in that regard. Almost every city is going to have suburban office complexes. I am glad OKC is getting more modern ones like this. Some employers want to be located closer to where their employees live and also where land is much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    You do realize that there is a lot of open available land in the metro area right? Unless the company is massive, like a Chesapeake, and builds a campus, there's no reason most situations to build a tower downtown. Land here is really cheap compared to elsewhere so it's more economically feasible to build in the burbs 9 times out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    You do realize that there is a lot of open available land in the metro area right? Unless the company is massive, like a Chesapeake, and builds a campus, there's no reason most situations to build a tower downtown. Land here is really cheap compared to elsewhere so it's more economically feasible to build in the burbs 9 times out of 10.
    Yeah, and it seems that the O&G companies have to tear down downtown to build in it, so maybe it's a good thing some are staying out of it.

12. Default Re: LINN Energy

Yes, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. :P

so it's more economically feasible to build in the burbs 9 times out of 10.
    Economically feasible for whom?

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Economically feasible for whom?
    Everyone involved.

Cheaper land to build their HQ on and a shorter commute for the employees assuming most of them are coming from Edmond and OKC north of Memorial.

With the exception of every other citizen of the city who get to pay for more and more inefficient roads and utilities maintenance with every development that gets built out in the sticks. Hell, even the company and the workers get to pay for that inefficient maintenance. "Lots of land" is not an excuse for using that land poorly.

In no way is memorial "out in the sticks".

And this is also the funny thing with those that hate parking garages down town. Deny them. And many more companies will choose to build off of memorial.

A lot of people in this board sometimes forget that OKC's population is still overwhelmingly many times over concentrated in the suburbs. The suburbs are currently subsidizing downtown, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

And this is also the funny thing with those that hate parking garages down town. Deny them. And many more companies will choose to build off of memorial.
    Don't you move the goalposts on me, I was very clearly participating in the chain of the discussion that had moved on to the general topic of companies building out in the suburbs.

It is simple math that spread out development costs more to maintain than concentrated development. Or are you going to dispute how squaring numbers works?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    With the exception of every other citizen of the city who get to pay for more and more inefficient roads and utilities maintenance with every development that gets built out in the sticks.
    Ha! Memorial/Portland is now the "Sticks?" (Never mind, that this new location is less than 700 yards from where their current offices have been for the last 8-10 years.)

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    Ha! Memorial/Portland is now the "Sticks?" (Never mind, that this new location is less than 700 yards from where their current offices have been for the last 8-10 years.)
    See my response to Boulder, you'll find it immediately above your post.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    With the exception of every other citizen of the city who get to pay for more and more inefficient roads and utilities maintenance with every development that gets built out in the sticks. Hell, even the company and the workers get to pay for that inefficient maintenance. "Lots of land" is not an excuse for using that land poorly.
    That is dumb. Even rail costs tons of money and just because you want people to live on top of each other in a concrete jungle doesn't mean others shoupd have to suffer from it. I'm gladly paying my taxes and will continue to do so knowing some of it will go to wide highways..

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    That is dumb. Even rail costs tons of money and just because you want people to live on top of each other in a concrete jungle doesn't mean others shoupd have to suffer from it. I'm gladly paying my taxes and will continue to do so knowing some of it will go to wide highways..
    The question is about what is most economically feasible for the city, not about whether or not people should be forced to live in a concrete jungle. The former may lead to the latter, but only as a consequence and not the intention. Your happiness at paying your taxes to support wide highways is admirable but irrelevant to the specific issue at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    A lot of people in this board sometimes forget that OKC's population is still overwhelmingly many times over concentrated in the suburbs. The suburbs are currently subsidizing downtown, not the other way around.
    You're saying two square miles is subsidized by the other 600 square miles? That's probably true for any given two square miles of the city.

However, the rest of the city that already has infrastructure, is always subsidizing the expansion of infrastructure to the suburban edge and paying for its maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Not far from it though. I can remember when it was the sticks. Quails Springs and nothing. It wasn't that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    Ha! Memorial/Portland is now the "Sticks?"
    It kind of is, or at least the start of it. Even this building is surrounded by nothing really. I'm not making a qualitative judgement. They can build where they want, but north of memorial and west of Portland does feel like you've left the city.

Thread Information