Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Cattleman's serves USDA choice for its standard cuts and is not considered a "Prime" steakhouse.
    Ah gotcha- totally spaced on the “prime” part of the title.
    Thanks

2. Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Going to have to disagree on this one.... With the right techniques I've made some Crest choice steaks that I would put up against some prime steaks I've had at places on this list.

Where I can't compete at home is with the ambiance and wine/liquor list.
    What technique do you prefer? I sous vide at 126º then reverse sear.

3. Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

"A chef doesn't make a good steak, a cow does."
    And since cows live on grass, steak is a vegan dish.

4. Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    What technique do you prefer? I sous vide at 126º then reverse sear.
    What temp are you reverse searing them to if you already sous vide them rare? I would just be putting a crust on them after the sous vide.... Unless you want them more done I guess.

I typically either sous vide then finish with high heat or dry brine/reverse sear... Both methods will turn out an excellent choice grade steak.

I prefer to finish over hardwood burned down to coals, or occasionally charcoal, when I'm cooking for a crowd but I'll go cast iron if I'm just cooking for myself.

I use a tripod when I'm reverse searing so I can raise the grate to bring them up to the temp I want before I drop the grate to sear.

I also don't bother making grill marks... I make one big grill mark... I like a good crust over the entire steak..... Forget that eating with your eyes BS when it comes to steak.... I eat with my mouth.

5. Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

What temp are you reverse searing them to if you already sous vide them rare? I would just be putting a crust on them after the sous vide.... Unless you want them more done I guess.
    Yes, definitely just a crust or it negates the whole process.

I typically either sous vide then finish with high heat or dry brine/reverse sear... Both methods will turn out an excellent choice grade steak.

I prefer to finish over hardwood burned down to coals, or occasionally charcoal, when I'm cooking for a crowd but I'll go cast iron if I'm just cooking for myself.

I use a tripod when I'm reverse searing so I can raise the grate to bring them up to the temp I want before I drop the grate to sear.

I also don't bother making grill marks... I make one big grill mark... I like a good crust over the entire steak..... Forget that eating with your eyes BS when it comes to steak.... I eat with my mouth.
    this is similar to what I do ..

sous vide at 125 for 2 hours . then on a cast iron plate for about 90 seconds each side in my pizza oven on full blast ..

We do our tomahawk steaks on the pellet smoker for about 2 hours then flash grill them on the open flame grill for a few minutes. Man oh man is it's mouthwatering good. I've been interested in learning sous vide but just haven't pulled the trigger. I should soon.

As for restaurants, having been to most talked about here, our favorite in OKC is Red Prime followed by The Ranch. For a bonus pick, I'll share my favorite in the Dallas area is Dakota's Steakhouse downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    We do our tomahawk steaks on the pellet smoker for about 2 hours then flash grill them on the open flame grill for a few minutes. Man oh man is it's mouthwatering good. I've been interested in learning sous vide but just haven't pulled the trigger. I should soon.

As for restaurants, having been to most talked about here, our favorite in OKC is Red Prime followed by The Ranch. For a bonus pick, I'll share my favorite in the Dallas area is Dakota's Steakhouse downtown.
    The sous vide is super easy and takes the guess work out of it. You'll need to play around with temps and times depending on the cut you have and your desired texture.

I'm in the same boat when it comes to steakhouses as I can cook a great steak at home, and most of the steakhouses around town tend to offer a similar menu that gets a little old. That being said, Stock & Bond is probably our favorite at the moment... their menu is a lot more interesting to me than the Ranch/Mahogany, and the ambiance is great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    The sous vide is super easy and takes the guess work out of it. You'll need to play around with temps and times depending on the cut you have and your desired texture.

I'm in the same boat when it comes to steakhouses as I can cook a great steak at home, and most of the steakhouses around town tend to offer a similar menu that gets a little old. That being said, Stock & Bond is probably our favorite at the moment... their menu is a lot more interesting to me than the Ranch/Mahogany, and the ambiance is great as well.
    Thank you! Yes I need to pull the trigger on one of those machines. I've heard they are great.

As for steakhouses, yes I'm the same when it comes to going out and spending a ton of $$ on steaks. I grew up in the cattle industry so I know the costs involved from the calf to the plate and those prices are just, well, frankly they don't add up dollar-wise especially when I can make one myself just as good if not better.

"A chef doesn't make a good steak, a cow does."
    True, but a chef can screw up a steak.

11. Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I'm in the same boat when it comes to steakhouses as I can cook a great steak at home,
    For me it comes down to whether I want to create and clean up the mess or be waited on..... Not to mention I usually like to try different whiskey's I've never tried before.

12. Default Re: The Oklahoma City Prime Steakhouse Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BBQisgoodfood View Post
    True, but a chef can screw up a steak.
    You just have to go to a Texas Roadkill for proof of that

For me it comes down to whether I want to create and clean up the mess or be waited on..... Not to mention I usually like to try different whiskey's I've never tried before.
    For sure, and that's the same with us, but more for trying different wine that we can't easily get locally. Steakhouses definitely have their time and place, but I'd rather go to somewhere like Sedalia's, Frida, etc. over the Ranch/Mahogany, etc. regardless of the price.

Thread Information